Molly Rants on TiVo, May 9th

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Stormspace, May 10, 2011.

1. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    The Molly Rants section on Cnet highlights some of the problems with TiVo.

A hard hitting article that states what many of us here have known for a while. She failed however to attribute the most glaring reason people are leaving TiVo and that is CableCard and Tuning Adapter configuration issues. Those two items alone make using a TiVo a nightmare.

2. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    I don't think that's why people are leaving Tivo at all. In any numbers, at least.

3. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I agree - it is why more people are not signing up for TiVo. Making folks call your biggest competitor and be at their mercy is not the best business plan

4. Stormspace

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    While you guys may have a point, there are the upgraders that have been using older models that decide to upgrade and are so disgusted they drop TiVo altogether. Something has to be attributing to TiVo's loss of subs and I don't think lackluster support is the primary reason. Cablecard, SDV, and Tuning adapter issues are new however and would help explain the sudden exodus.

These types of issues aren't just technical either and goes to what Zeo was saying about putting your company in the hands of a competitor. :)

5. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I agree cablecards & tuning adapters are a big part of the reason why the number of subs that TiVo has is declining. I will not recommend a TiVo to anyone unless they are OTA only.

I find Molly's rant somewhat interesting because her solution to replacing TiVo is to switch to AT&T Uverse which of course you can not use a TiVo with anyways.

Thanks,

6. anotherlab

anotherlab New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I agree. The DVRs supplied by the cable companies are good enough for most people. It's hard to justify the extra expense.

7. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    And if they never owned a TiVo would never know the difference anyways.

8. Stormspace

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    The loss of subs would indicate that people are using TiVo and leaving it for something else, or nothing at all. What some of you are talking about would only explain slow growth, not wholesale defection from the platform.

9. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    For folks in my area, it is not much of an extra expense. My cableco's HD DVR is $16 monthly. Tivo is $21 including a cablecard (no upfront, $19.95 per month for 2 years, or $99 upfront and $19.95 per month for one year- afterwards both are $12.95 which puts it a bit chaper than the cableco). Seems to me that is a pretty close choice.

My cableco also plays very well with Tivo unlike some of the others.

10. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    This loss may be partly monthly Series 2 users going to HD and using the cable co DVR as it is less hassle to set up and full in home warranty.

11. Stormspace

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    I agree with this completely and see Series 2 churn to be the main reason for the loss in subs. The series 3 line of DVR's is really not worth the trouble compared to a cable DVR in terms of working with cablecard, TA's, and SDV.

I also wonder if some of the loss is due to directTiVo's rotating out of service with no replacement.

12. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I don't think it's really the "trouble" that loses people, it's the expense. With TiVo you have to buy the box first, which is minimum $100. Then you have to pay for service which is $20/mo. Then you have to pay the cable company to come out and install the CableCARD(s) which is $20-$40. Then you have to pay $2-$5/mo, per card, for the CableCARD(s) itself.

With a cable DVR they will usually allow it to replace your standard box for $10-$15/mo extra and will come out and install it for free. Plus if it breaks they replace it no questions asked.

TiVo is suppose to be the "luxury" offering in the space. However their recent software slump has allowed the cable DVRs to catch up and made them less attractive to even enthusiast. If they had stuck to their original intention of focusing on the technology and being an industry leader I don't think they'd be in this boat. Instead they got caught up in litigation and trying to make deals with providers and lost their way. I guess if that stuff had panned out they're probably be OK, but for the most part the litigation and "deals" have only brought in enough to barely keep them afloat.

Dan

13. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    How much does she want for the two Tivos?

14. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    Happy with U-verse? Really? Well, that calls into questions other Molly rants... I'm just sayin'

15. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I bought the Premiere in the Woot deal a few months back. It's still sitting in the box, unopened and unsubbed.

I have a Tivo HD that I want to swap it out for. All I'd have to do is take the cablecard out of the HD and put it in the Premiere.

But Comcast is insisting that I need a truck roll to do it, and it's not important enough to me yet to have to set it up and wait.

The Cablecard is a trojan horse by the Cable companies. It "works" technically, but it doesn't provide VOD, and it comes with ridiculous cable requirements like costly and unnecessary truck rolls. It's not necessarily TiVo's fault, but the result is the same.

16. johnf@home

johnf@home New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    <Sarcasm mode on>
    What? you mean the door-to-door Uverse salesman who tried to persuade me to switch to Uverse was *lying*? He assured me I could continue to use my TiVos with Uverse.
    <Sarcasm mode off>

When I told hime that I wanted something better than an IR blaster to control the channel selector box (and I wanted to be able to record multiple channels at once, and in HD at that) he decided he probably didn't have a sale here.

17. swinca

swinca Menace to society

Jun 19, 2003
    Jaw-ja y'all
    Part of the problem is that the market has matured and Tivo has not kept up in some aspects. Back in the day, Tivo was clearly superior to anything else on the market. That is not true anymore. When I moved out of Comcast's area and decided to upgrade to HD, satellite was the only real choice, and HD Tivos don't work with satellite. I can't speak for Directv, but the Dish DVR does a great job at a reasonable cost. My Series 2 is still running on my old SD TV, but once either of them dies, it's over. There is no upgrade path with Tivo.

18. cjsiv

cjsiv New Member

Jun 5, 2010
    I will be leaving in about a month. I have one premiere and one hd. I just switched back to directv from OTA only. The directv whole home dvr is actually pretty good. Not as fancy as my tivo, but it does an above average job. For OTA, tivo is awesome. I can't comment on cable cards, etc because I have never used one. The part I miss the most is that the tivos are the best media streamer I have ever used. MP4's over ethernet via pytivox from my mac is flawless. I just can't justify the monthly fee for the media streamer though. Still searching for a suitable replacement. So far my ps3 with medialink is a close second. For the most part, my year of tivo use has been pleasant. My boxes have greatly depreciated though due to this $99 and $19 a month deal. I paid full price a year ago. May just hang on to them other than give them away.

19. bschuler2007

bschuler2007 Frustrated owner

Feb 25, 2007
    Yeah count me as a Tivo media streamer hold out. The one thing Tivo does best.. and most people don't even know that it can do it. LOL.

Trying to get my local friends who have RCN to move from their old RCN HD DVR to a RCN Tivo is like pulling teeth. They don't want the truck fee, etc.. If a friend can't convince another friend to spend the extra dough for a Tivo.. nobody can. The future doesn't look good for retail, IMHO.

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Plus, with lifetime, it can easily be CHEAPER over the course of a few years.. and I don't mean like 5-10 years... People just don't realize that and/or are unwilling to put the up front payment.