Modern Family "Boy's Night" OAD 3/23/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by betts4, Mar 23, 2011.

1. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...

Advertisements

Awesome! They nailed it again! I loved Luke and Walt on the porch when Luke first encounters him.

Luke "Are you going scuba diving?"

Luke "Why do you have that tank?"
    Walt "Are you smart?"
    Luke "You mean in school? well I do okay but my teacher says I get distracted. Why do you have that tube in your nose?"
    Walt "for fun."
    Luke "really? can I try?"
    Walt "It's oxygen"
    Luke "we have that in our house but we don't need a tank"

Then when Walt tells him to get the ball - Luke takes that breath, holds his nose and runs in (as if there is no air in the house).

Perfectly played by the actors. Just the way Luke delivers his lines is right on the mark. I was rolling.

The Boy's night out was fun too. Jay coming over and getting along with all the guys. Excellent.

2. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Good ep. I love "Mr. Bookman". Pepper is a hoot too.

3. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    I liked when Haley was telling Cam she was babysitting Luke right now while in the background Luke was grabbing a knife and walking out of the Kitchen. That and when Phil said he didn't want to know what Claire and Alex were fighting about.

Good episode.

4. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    "Oh God, he's seen the sexy dance."

It was gratifying to see Jay get along with Mitchell's friends and it was nice to see Mitchell basking in that for a bit.

"I swore I'd marry Gina Lollobrigida."
    "Well, Dad, you sort of did."
    :D

5. JETarpon

JETarpon Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2003

Advertisements

This show is always good, but tonight it was fabulous.

6. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    I was rolling on the floor at that. Gold!

7. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    I was pleasantly surprised they way they went with that scene, I had thought they would go the embarrassingly straight dad route, but it was great that he blended in so well and everyone had a great time.

8. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    ROB LOWE!!!
    WHERE? :D

I think his looks have held him back as an actor...
    Cam: I can understand that! :D:p

I also loved Ed O'Neill with Mitchell's friends-he was so great with them, really loved that-they had such a good time, what did the one say "He reminds me of that dentist you banged down in Florida.." ;):D

Gloria: "I'm old enough to know I don't like opening Aspirin bottles" :p:D

9. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    "Hi daddy"

LOL

Great episode!

10. danplaysbass

danplaysbass I watch too much TV.

Jul 19, 2004
    Philadelphia
    I loved the last scene as Haley is giving Cam her indignant speech and he is just standing there all smug holding the shoes...

11. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    "Like in UP" LOL

12. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Me too. I knew what was coming but it was still funny. Many of the things that happen you can see coming, like Gloria not bailing out Jay from going shopping with Pepper. But still very funny. Some of my friends think the second season isn't as good as the first but I think it's better. The scene in the bar was hilarious. The interaction of Jay and Manny I love. And Phil, who I absolutely hated the first few episodes last season, is now one of my favorites. Even Luke, who is often just an afterthought with a couple of lines, was great.

13. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    I like when Manny said something goofy to Jay in the kitchen and Jay popped of "Whoa...let's not make that our thing".

14. grant33

grant33 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Manassas, VA
    Jay: Didn't think I liked crabcakes. Tried them. Turns out I like them.
    Manny: Wow, are the movie rights available for that one?

15. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Exactly what I wanted to say. The scene with Luke and Walt couldn't have been better. :up: :)

16. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    I wish we'd seen more of Pepper's car. It was a nice looking Morgan.

I'd agree with the other sentiments here, that was a great episode.

17. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    That scene really hit home for me. That was pretty much my exact life experience 5 years ago Saturday.

When I moved into a new house in 2003 it took me a couple of months to realize my neighbors were gay. I had seen tons of guys coming and going from the house all the time but couldn't figure out why all these good looking guys with luxury cars weren't rolling in women, especially when they had parties all the time.

Over the next three years we said hello in passing but nothing more than that. Finally one of my neighbors decided we needed to be friends. He insisted I join them for a surprise birthday party for his partner. He's impossible to say no to so I went along with it.

The setting was almost exactly like Modern Family. I hip upscale bar I never even knew existed. I was the lone straight man with six gay men I didn't know at all. The night turned out just like Jay's!

Now my neighbors are my dearest friends in the world and were the groomsmen in my wedding. I look back on my life now and can't imagine everything I would have missed in the world had I not known these guys. My Queens, of which there are now many, are some of my most favorite people in the world. :)

18. JohnnyL

JohnnyL New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Pepper to Jay upon seeing Gloria for the first time:

"How rich are you?"

19. bruinfan

bruinfan Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Elk Grove, CA
    liked the ep, but the only thing i could think during the dinner scenes were:

god, how annoying to be sitting near them eating dinner....

20. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    LOL-I thought the same thing-when they were singing, and the people in the bar were applauding, I thought-riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight! ;):rolleyes: I don't think so! :D