Modern Family- 1-18-2012

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Alfer, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Pretty funny episode overall.

The cussing thing was funny the first couple of times, but they kind of overused it there toward the end.

I liked the family razzing Claire about her abrasiveness.

"HONK!..SARCASM!"

2. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    Lily's early cussing was really just the setup for the final scene. What I liked about the wedding scene was that she saw Cam crying and said something like "Daddy's sad". Thinking her dad was sad, she said the bad words since she knew that would make him laugh. That was so much better than just having her blurt them out in random fashion.

3. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    I thought it was a poor episode. Everything seemed a little too forced. Cam's laugh when Lily cussed. The jumping into the pool bit when the dog was clearly swimming. The best scenes (for me) were the ones with the Dumphy's.

Suburbatory was great though. :D

4. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    I'm going to have to watch the episode again on another TV. My TiVo is putting everything in black and white and WAY over saturated, so I missed all the dresses humor. :(

5. Johnny Dancing

Johnny Dancing Closet Rebel

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    Since every line is a joke or a joke setup it can be just as funny watching Modern Family a second time to catch what you missed while you were processing the constant flow of humor.

The debate prep session is as good as it gets.

6. markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    phil's autotune on youtube is classic. would love to see them actually do that (maybe they have?) like "how i met your mother" would.

7. Bryanmc

Bryanmc I'm normal.

Sep 5, 2000
    Richardson,...
    Claire melting down with everything she wasn't supposed to do in the debate was perfect.

8. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    "like many men in this town, I enjoy having sex with my wife"

9. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Agreed.

10. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I thought it was ok. The problem I had with it is that everything I can't stand about the Claire character was highlighted. One after the other. Yes there were some funny jabs mixed in but I'm getting to where I can't stand any scene she's in. And again I plead with the writers to have a long, extended story arc with Gloria having laryngitis. PLEASE. Not because of her accent. Because SHE YELLS EVERYTHING. Keep the low cut dresses though.

11. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    I would be ashamed to admit how many times I have rewatched Modern Family. :eek:

12. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I thought the viral remix of Phil's was very funny. The debate rehearsal too. The rest of the show, not so much. I'm already tired of Lily and the whole dog bit was dumb.

13. Bryanmc

Bryanmc I'm normal.

Sep 5, 2000
    Richardson,...
    Lily was better when she didn't speak. As much as I like Eric Stonestreet, I could lose that entire family and be ok.

14. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I just watched this. I loved the home debate scene and Jay jumping in the water after the dog ...the first time...

Lily cursing? not so funny. The dress did make me laugh, and even more so when they were all wearing them and the guys ties and the bridal gown.

15. Michael S

Michael S Member

Jan 12, 2004

Well Steve Levitan tweeted this last night.

16. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    I like new Lilly. She's cute, and the way she says things is adorable.

17. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    It seems as if some of her lines (or words actually) are dubbed in. Maybe not. But sometimes it looks that way to me.

18. The Flush

The Flush Not So Notable Member TCF Club

Aug 3, 2005
    SO OH
    That's what I thought as well.

19. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I think it's reprehensible that they taught that little girl to curse. :thumbsdown::mad:

20. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    :D

I wonder what word they did use in the script in its place.

I was a bit puzzled about the wedding. Who was getting married and what person would invite all the families? Did I miss that?