Modem/Router help

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Boris S, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Mar 9, 2021 #1 of 25
    Boris S

Boris S Member

Oct 16, 2017

Advertisements

I have a Bolt and two minis hooked up by MoCA. I recently upgraded my Ziply Fiber to gig service but now want to upgrade my router/modem. I would like to upgrade to WiFi 6. Do I have to get a router that has a coaxial connector and an Ethernet port? I know I need the Ethernet because the cable from the Ziply box is Ethernet, but is there any reason I would need to also hook up the coaxial cable. I was thinking I might have to to get schedule (programming) updates.

2. Mar 9, 2021 #2 of 25
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I'm not familiar with Ziply, but for sure you have to have a physical connection from your TiVo devices to the router via the coaxial cable. I presume the programming data will flow via the ethernet cable from your modem. I take it you are OTA?

3. Mar 9, 2021 #3 of 25
    Boris S

Boris S Member

Oct 16, 2017
    ZiplyFiber bought out Frontier FIOS in my area.
    I’m not OTA. I get my tv through Ziply too.
    A coaxial cable goes from the Ziply box (that the cable from the street comes to) to the TVs in my house. I believe if I disconnected the Ethernet cable from the box in my garage the tv’s would continue to work. Prior to the installation of the gig service I just had a coaxial cable from the box in the garage to the router.

4. Mar 9, 2021 #4 of 25
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Why not just leave their router in place, turn off it's wifi, and then buy yourself your preferred wifi6 router and run it in Access Point mode?
    That's what I've always done with Verizon FiOS.

5. Mar 9, 2021 #5 of 25
    Boris S

Boris S Member

Oct 16, 2017

Advertisements

Because the router I currently have rents for $10/month. Ziply doesn’t have WiFi 6 routers yet - at least none they would lend me. The Ziply fiber installer recommended I buy my own router, but he didn’t know if I needed one with a coaxial connector and an Ethernet connector.

6. Mar 9, 2021 #6 of 25
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This doesn't tell us the bit that matters ... How is your coax/MoCA segment linked to your router's LAN, at present?

Does your router have a built-in MoCA bridge, and the TiVo boxes are then able to simply connect as MoCA clients via their coax connections? (If your current router is supplying the main MoCA/Ethernet bridge, then you'll need to replace this functionality: either built-in to the router you choose, by adding a standalone MoCA adapter at the router location, or by using a BOLT connected via Ethernet to the router as the main bridge.

Is your BOLT in a location where it *could* be connected to your router via a Cat5e/6 Ethernet connection? (If not, scratch the BOLT as a possible MoCA/Ethernet bridge.)

edit: p.s. Just as one example of how things can be done (YMMV!), see the following, where a standalone MoCA adapter is used at the router location to function as the MoCA/Ethernet bridge, with the TiVo boxes connecting as MoCA clients.

Ethernet WAN + MoCA LAN w non-MoCA router.png
    (fiber setup w/ Ethernet WAN + MoCA LAN, but using non-MoCA router)

Choose your main splitter and how the coax lines are connected with the understanding that the BOLT is the only device requiring the raw cable TV signal.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  7. Mar 9, 2021 #7 of 25
    Boris S

Boris S Member

Oct 16, 2017
    I could easily hook up the bolt via Ethernet but I didn’t do so because I can’t very easily connect the two Minis to Ethernet, so that is why I went the MoCA route. So it sounds like I need to keep a coaxial connection to keep my MoCA working.

Can the Mini’s be hooked up using WiFi? It’s been a few years since I sent everything up and I don’t remember if that was an option, but my WiFi is much better now.

8. Mar 9, 2021 #8 of 25
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The TiVo setup can be a mix of Ethernet and MoCA, and TiVo's typical assumption is that their MoCA-capable DVR will be used as the main MoCA/Ethernet bridge. Of course, you wouldn't have needed to set the DVR up as the bridge, previously, since (I expect) the MoCA bridge was built-in in your router.

So you have this as an option (and a fairly typical *TiVo* setup)...

Ethernet WAN + MoCA LAN via TiVo DVR.png

(BOLT is configured as a MoCA Bridge, Mini's as MoCA clients)

9. Mar 9, 2021 #9 of 25
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Not without a separate wireless bridge adapter, though you wouldn't want to if either Ethernet or MoCA connectivity is possible.

10. Boris S

Boris S Member

Oct 16, 2017
    When I originally set this up I had all kinds of problems, so I’m not sure what I did, but from what you said because I didn’t hook up the Bolt using an Ethernet cable my MoCA is run through my router - is that correct? If so, if I hook up my Bolt to Ethernet, I can set up my MoCA using the Bolt as the bridge? Is that easy to change the Minis as clients so it would work? It looks easy, but for some reason I really struggled when I first hooked it up.

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, correct. You just wouldn't want to try doing so while you still have a router with a built-in MoCA bridge active, as that would create a network loop and crash your network. However, you could test the "BOLT as Bridge" solution by first disabling the MoCA LAN bridge in your current router, and *then* connecting the BOLT via Ethernet and configuring it as a MoCA bridge.

If the Mini's are already set up as MoCA clients, then they shouldn't require any "change" -- though rebooting them after the BOLT is made the MoCA bridge might be a good idea, just to give them a nudge.

12. Boris S

Boris S Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Thanks, this is starting to make sense to me. I never disabled the router MoCA before and that must be why it wouldn’t work. To disable the MoCA in my current router, do I just go into the router settings? If I get running my MoCA through the Bolt, does that mean I can replace my router I’m renting from Ziply with a router without the coaxial connector?

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes? (No other way to do it; unless your provider's support desk has access and can do it for you.)

Though, another way to disable the router's MoCA LAN is simply to disconnect the coax cable from the router. The router's MoCA bridge will be "inactive" even if enabled, and will have no effect on your network so long as the coax remains disconnected from the router.

As just suggested, your fastest path might be to simply disconnect the coax from the router, and then get the BOLT configured as your bridge. Once comfortable with the "BOLT as bridge" setup, you could then right-size your coax, removing the coax line to the router entirely, along with downsizing whatever splitter feeds the router (or at least capping the now-unused port with a 75-ohm terminator).

And, yeah, you'd certainly be ready for a coax-less router at that point.

14. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'm sorry but you're not hearing what I'm saying, there's zero reason for the Ziply router to have anything to do with wifi other than convenience.
    You can buy your own wifi6 router, flip it into Access Point mode, and connect it to your existing Ziply router where you have turned off wifi.

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    But wouldn’t the OP then still be paying $10 per month for the Ziply-supplied router? They want to ditch that expense, in addition to getting beefier WiFi support.

16. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I haven't seen anything in the OPs posts to say that's an issue, so I was only addressing their WiFi 6 concerns which are a lot easier to fix.
    For me the FiOS G1100 does fine for wired, and I have a Netgear ORBI setup for wireless.

It seems the OP was linking the router to the wifi and that doesn't need to be the case, I like my own wifi since I can swap providers underneath and not have to redo any connections.

17. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    See post #5: "Because the router I currently have rents for $10/month." ... "The Ziply fiber installer recommended I buy my own router, but he didn’t know if I needed one with a coaxial connector and an Ethernet connector."

krkaufman and dianebrat like this.
  18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The first sentence in their post you quoted here....

Modem/Router help

19. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I just see that the tech suggested it, and in the initial post the OP mentions wanting their own router for Wifi 6, this just shows we can parse things differently, I didn't take the OP as saying they wanted to save $10, I just took it as them saying they wanted Wifi 6 capability.

That also comes from me not wanting combined devices, when possible I separate my Wifi hardware from my hardwired router.

20. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Literally stated that as the reason in direct reply to your question.

So, yeah, different interpretation. ;)