1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MoCa

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by partswiz, Sep 12, 2018.

1. partswiz

partswiz New Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Hello All

I have a two tuner Series 4 that im trying to connect to a MoCa network. The problem is when I go into network settings, it does not give me an option to join a moca network, but I have instructions that say it should be possible. I copied them below. Any ideas?? This is for for TiVo Experience 3 (Software version: 20.X.):

TiVo Device Menu path from TiVo Central
    TiVo BOLT Series, Roamio Series & Premiere Series with HDUI Settings & Messages > Network Settings > Change Network Settings > MoCA > Select Turn MoCA On
    Select: Set Up as Bridge to create a MoCA network
    Select: Set Up as Client to join an existing MoCA network
    Series 3 and earlier DVRs Settings & Messages > Settings > Network > Change Network Settings > Use this DVR to create a MoCA network (or Join the MoCA network)

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    2 tuner Premieres (including earlier models, 4 tuner Roamio) does not have MoCa capabilities so a MoCa adapter is required.

Bigg likes this.
  3. partswiz

partswiz New Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I do have the TIVO Bridge hooked up and it seems to be working except for some random stuttering when I play back something from one of my other TIVO's.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    TiVo Bridge aside, for the moment, the OP detailed that you couldn’t find MoCA settings within your 2-tuner Premiere’s configuration screens. I just want to make sure that you understood @ThAbtO’s post ... that the 2-tuner Premiere models lack *any* MoCA functionality, hence the absence of any MoCA options under Network Settings. A 2-tuner Premiere would require the aid of a MoCA adapter in a MoCA client setup, connecting via Ethernet to the MoCA adapter and, therefore, simply configured for an Ethernet connection.

4-tuner Premiere models *do* have built-in MoCA support, and I can pretty much guarantee* that the instructions you copied would have had some disclaimer/note scoping “Premiere” within those instructions to the 4-tuner models. (* allowing some wiggle room for erroneous TiVo documentation)

edit: p.s. I’m assuming you were working from these instructions...

... and, though there is a table clearly indicating MoCA support for each device, plus a diagram showing just how to connect a 2-tuner Premiere as a MoCA client (i.e. via a MoCA adapter), the ‘How to Configure the Network Settings’ section is a bit of a belly-flop. As mentioned above, any TiVo boxes connecting via Ethernet to a MoCA adapter would simply be configured for an Ethernet connection.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Stuttering shouldn’t be happening if MoCA is working properly.

6. partswiz

partswiz New Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Thanks for clearing up the confusion on this issue. Do you think I should install the POE filter?

7. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    krkaufman likes this.
  8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Nearly every MoCA setup needs a "PoE" MoCA filter installed. (more info here)

I couldn't make a specific recommendation, either about the "PoE" MoCA filter location or what to do to address the stuttering mentioned above, without understanding your setup. (i.e. How all your coax devices connect, through what components, all the way back to the signal point-of-entry. Text description works; diagrams, however rough, work better.)

9. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    If you like to take risks and don't value your privacy, no need to spend $5 on a POE filter. You're probably violating some FCC requirement or cable service requirement, but you'll likely never get caught or fined. Personally, keeping my network more secure is worth $5.

10. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    Unless you get your internet service from a fiber to the home provider (e.g. FiOS, some AT&T, some Altice) since the MOCA signal can't pass through the ONT.

11. tapokata

tapokata Active Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    A sometimes overlooked benefit from a PoE filter is that the filter acts as a signal reflector- in addition to blocking MoCA RF from where it shouldn't be, the reflectance improves the signal strength. It also reduces any insertion loss that would occur from a port-hop at the splitter; ie, without a POE filter, a port hop would result in a loss of 25 dB or more; with a filter, on a 2:1 splitter that loss would be about 13.5 dB for the same signal path (6 dB loss per splitter port, and 1.5 dB loss for the filter).

12. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    This is also why you put the POE Filter at the Splitter and not back at the Demark.

-KP

13. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    These days I would have a MoCA filter, but I ran for two years without one. That, however, was prior to Comcast using MoCA, so there were probably no other MoCA devices anywhere near me and it was on a 625mhz plant that could barely hold a QAM at 615mhz, so 1150mhz MoCA wasn't going anywhere fast. In most modern systems and applications, yes, you should have a MoCA PoE filter.