Moca With Premier - What Do I Need

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by xberk, Dec 3, 2011.

1. xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011

Advertisements

I am switching from Directv to Time Warner. I just got two new Premier Tivo units. We currently have Series 2 Tivos and wanted to upgrade to full HD with the Premiers. This meant switching to cable for TV. I like the idea of using the Coax to network the Tivo units to my router which is "G" type. I ordered two of the Netgear MCAB1001 coax adapters. They come in pairs so I will get 4 Netgear coax adapters.

My cable modem, router and PC will be in location #1.
    I will have the TIVO units at Location #2 and #3
    There will be two coax cables coming to Location #1
    There will be two coax cables coming to Locations #2 and two coax cables coming to location #3

Can someone tell me what else I'll need in the way of splitters? Do I put a splitter on one of the coax cables in each location and then to the Netgear box?

2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    You shouldn't need any splitters.

The adapters take the coax straight from the wall. Then you run a coax from the TV out on the adapter to the TiVo and run the ethernet between the TiVo and the adapter.

You just repeat this in all three locations.

3. xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Yep. I get it. I might need a switch for the Ethernet coming out of the adapter if I add things to that location that need the Internet besides the Tivo. I see now that the cable coax comes out of the adapter and into the cable input on the PRemier.

I made up this little chart to show the cabling ..

Location #1 has Cable Coax – Netgear MOCA adapter - Cable Modem Box - Router
    Cable Coax to MOCA Coax Input
    MOCA Coax Output to Cable Modem Coax Input
    Cable Modem Ethernet Output to Router WAN Input
    Router Ethernet Port Out to MOCA Ethernet Input

Location #2 and Location #3 has Cable Coax – Tivo Premier – Netgear MOCA adapter - HDTV
    Cable TV Coax to MOCA Coax Input
    MOCA Coax Output to Tivo Premier Coax input
    MOCA Ethernet Output to Tivo Premier Ethernet input
    Tivo Premier HDMI output to HDMI input on HDTV

Does this look right?

4. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Location 2 and 3 look correct.

Location #1 sounds correct. Here is an image from another thread.

[​IMG]

5. xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011

Advertisements

Thanks. This looks like a good way to go for networking the Tivos. I can expand to where ever there is coax in the house. That's just about everywhere I'd put a TV. I'd still have my Wireless G network going via the Router too.

This is our leap to HD .. we've had Tivos since 2002 .. had 5 going in the house at one time .. Down to just two now .. Currently we are with Directv using our old TIVOS. Bought two Premiers in the recent $50 sale and one small HDTV set. I thought this would give us the strongest network with the least setup worries for the same cost as the TIVO wireless adapters. I ordered two of the Netgear MCAB1001's for $80 each. That gives me 4 adapters. More than I need. I like the idea of a spare one too.

Now all we have to do buy one more HDTV and make the final leap to Cable.
    Conflicted about buying the TIVO lifetime service. Just a lot of dough to shell out to guys I'm not that sure about anymore. I like Tivo but will they survive long enough for me to retrieve my investment?

6. xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011
    By the way ... what can you tell me about your Ceton InfiniTV 4 ..
    How is that going?

7. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Ceton works fine. I just find Media Center to be lacking the functionality I use on a daily basis from TiVo. I already had a bunch of 360s so I just picked the infiniTV4 up to play with when it was on sale for under $250. Also the Elite wasn't out or even rumored yet.

Like most things, Media Center has some cool things I like better than on TiVo, but there are a lot more things I like about TiVo.