1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

moca wiring questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ajwees41, Jan 11, 2018.

1. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    I currently have a 1GB white bolt in the same room as the cable modem and router and I am thinking on adding a bolt vox to the setup. What extra hardware do I need to create a moca network and how many poe filters would I need and where would the be placed?

thanks for any input

2. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I don’t think you need anything but the poe filter. Providing you can connect the white Bolt by Ethernet to the router. It would then create the Moca net. Vox would be client. Poe should be on cable entering the house.

Mini wouldn’t do? Or like me, the wife needs her own set up.

3. ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    we already have the white bolt but need something with bigger storage and extra tuners are a good thing

so i poe filter on the in coming coax from the cable company and one each for the tuning adapter?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Whichever BOLT is at the modem/router location and connected via Ethernet can be set up as your MoCA bridge, and the other BOLT would be set up as a MoCA client.

The MOCA client-only BOLT can be used to extend wired networking to one or more co-located Ethernet-capable devices. (see here for more info)

As mentioned by @UCLABB, it's possible the only add'l hardware you'll need is a "PoE" MoCA filter, though there's no way to authoritatively say without any details on how your coax runs interconnect and using what components; model # of your modem to determine sensitivity to MoCA signals; whether you're using SDV tuning adapters. That said, it's possible that you'll be able to initialize your MoCA setup without any changes... but you'd want to make sure you get a "PoE" MoCA filter in place ASAP, to secure your home network.

5. ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

cable i from street moca filter in on splitter one splitter leg to docsis 3.1modem
    Motorola Ultra Fast DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem, Model MB8600, other leg to bolt/bolt vox each with a tuning adapter

6. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Split the coax for the TA and TiVo boxes, i.e., don’t use the out on the TA as it blocks MOCA, at least on Cisco TAs.

Yeah, some say a poe at the TAs. I don’t have them and have no problems with the TAs, well, since I’ve put them on a weekly timer that is (Cisco’s).

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What @UCLABB said. From another recent thread:

If your cable provider is actually doing DOCSIS 3.1, you may have a problem with MoCA, as the DOCSIS 3.1 frequency range overlaps with MoCA.

The DOCSIS 3.1 modem may require a dedicated coax line (if the provider is using frequencies in the MoCA range), and you may need a MoCA filter on the modem's input to protect the modem from MoCA and vice versa. (You should be able to access the modem's status info to determine the frequencies in use, or contact your provider.)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  8. ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    signals cox has said we are supposed to see Docsis 3.1 in 2018 sometime

Attached Files:

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Ok, good; current frequencies are all sub-1 GHz, so not a problem for coexistence with MoCA, today. But review the just-linked thread; your DOCSIS 3.1 modem may require a MoCA filter on its input to prevent instability when you activate MoCA.

If/when Cox rolls out DOCSIS 3.1, I'd think they'd need to provide you with a dedicated coax run for the modem.

11. ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    do the splitters need to be moca certified if they are just spitting the coax for the tivo and tuning adapter?

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Ideally they would be, but you can try a 1 GHz cable splitter and see if it works. If it doesn't or the MoCA stats indicate room for improvement, you can upgrade to MoCA-compliant splitters.

p.s. There isn't a MoCA "certification" for splitters, to the best of my knowledge, and one shouldn't take "MoCA" on product advertisements or labels as gospel. (related posts: here, here, here)