MoCA Wiring Help - New Install

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by jprez, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Apr 1, 2017 #1 of 10
    jprez

jprez New Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Hey All -

First time Tivo Bolt user here - in fact, my unit won't be here until Monday but I wanted to make sure I understood the wiring diagram and if I need to purchase anything else. Upon reading the online manual, it looks like I need a MoCA POE Filter - so I got that ordered as well.

In my home, not all locations can be served via Ethernet - so I plan to use existing Coax wiring.

For my main DVR unit, it will be downstairs and connected via Ethernet to the Internet router. I plan to simply use an outdoor HD antenna for channel source - so my plan there is:

Outdoor HD Antenna -> POE Filter -> 8 port MOCA Splitter - did I get that right?

Initially, I will have 3 units - the DVR itself and 2 Minis.

When I asked a "Geek" at Best Buy he thought a diplexer? was needed since the wall jack at the DVR unit would be both supplying signal from the antenna and communicating with the other minis - is that true? If so, I don't have one so I guess I better buy a diplexer also.

Thanks for any and all input.

2. Apr 1, 2017 #2 of 10
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    You didn't mention it, but ideally the internet is being fed with its own separate coax, and your Bolt/Minis are all sharing the same common moca splitter. No diplexer needed. OTA and moca can co-exist.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  3. Apr 1, 2017 #3 of 10
    jprez

jprez New Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Thanks for the reply.

I don't have a way to convert the ethernet to coax and get it into the attic unfortunately. My plan (perhaps this is wrong) was assuming that if I fed the DVR unit Ethernet - it would then be able to supply Internet to the minis via coax. My ISP is pure ethernet - fiber with an Ethernet ONT.

Is the Coax port on the back of the DVR able to take Antenna signal and also push out MoCA/Internet traffic all across the same cable?

Thanks

4. Apr 1, 2017 #4 of 10
    BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004
    Ok, I assumed you were on cable internet. Don't worry about that part. The only thing that matters is that your internet is a separate feed from the OTA, which it is.

The Bolt will supply moca to anything on the coax line it's connected to. Your ethernet connection provides internet to the Bolt. Then the Bolt provides internet to the Minis over the coax (moca). You're fine. :)

jprez likes this.
  5. Apr 1, 2017 #5 of 10
    jprez

jprez New Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Is there a limit for the Minis? Eventually I plan to have a total of 6, understanding only 4 can be used at a given time.

6. Apr 1, 2017 #6 of 10
    BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004
    Technically you're only limit is the account's 12-device limit. 6 Minis will be fine.

My only possible concern is your OTA signal being cut to 1/8th. Is your moca splitter also an amp?

7. Apr 1, 2017 #7 of 10
    jprez

jprez New Member

Apr 1, 2017
    No, but the antenna has a built in amp - its the Mohu Sky antenna - does that help resolve the concern?

8. Apr 1, 2017 #8 of 10
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Given the conversation so far, this sounds fine -- though the Geek's diplexer suggestion could be leveraged to deliver a stronger OTA antenna signal to your BOLT DVR, assuming you're not looking for the raw OTA antenna signal at any other locations. That is, why split the antenna signal 8-ways, with the associated signal loss, if you only need the antenna signal at one location?

See the attached diagram. I believe your original plan maps to the "Option 1: Simple Split" approach, but you could instead use a diplexer, as demonstrated in Option 3, to merge the OTA antenna and MoCA signals downstream of the planned splitter.

antenna routing options x4.jpg

Will your outdoor antenna be amplfied? If so, where will the amp be located and how will it be powered? (i.e. Where will the power inserter be located, if used?)

Of course, if you want the raw OTA antenna signal at all your coax endpoints, the simple split approach should be used and the diplexer is out -- and hopefully the antenna has enough gain to deliver a strong signal to each location. Though, in this event, you might consider Option 2 in the above diagram, to prioritize the OTA antenna signal delivered to the DVR over the other locations.

edit: p.s. My go-to parts links.

9. Apr 1, 2017 #9 of 10
    BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004
    Hopefully but I guess we'll find out. :) If you find that the Bolt's signal too weak, I would instead use a 2-way splitter where 1 leg goes to the Bolt and all the Minis share a second splitter on the second leg.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You can use more than 4 Minis at once, depending on what each Mini is doing. The limitation you'll likely bump up against is how many TiVo devices can simultaneously be viewing live TV, where each device would need a tuner allocated. If you set a recording for some live program, all your Minis could piggyback on that recording and effectively be viewing live TV... sharing a single tuner. And no tuner is needed when viewing a previously recorded program.

Mikeguy and jprez like this.