1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moca was working - now it’s not

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Voting, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Jun 3, 2018 #1 of 62
    Voting

Voting New Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I have a Roamio (pre moca) and two Mini's. The Roamio is connected via ethernet (plus coax is plugged in). The mini's use Moca 1.1 via Actiontec Moca Adapter and are connected via coax. I will note that I have the hydra software update on all boxes and there is a POE Filter on the inbound coax. I use Comcast but use my own modem and my own separate router.

This setup has worked for a long time, but after a recent internet outage my bedroom mini is no longer able to access the Roamio. The only semi-recent changes were to get a new router about 2 months ago and to upgrade to hydra about 1 month ago. No wiring or hardware changes.

When I swap the mini's, the "bedroom" box works at the others location - and the "working" box stops working when plugged in at the bedroom. So the mini itself is fine but there is something about the bedroom location. Although I have made no prior changes, I have just replaced the coax cable to be sure and inspected what wiring I have access to.

When I look at the network status on the bedroom mini, it can't access TIVO or get a DNS. BUT, it appears to be connected to the MOCA network (it shows connected, uptime, and the right number of nodes). I am getting a 169 IP address which shows it is not connecting correctly.

While I've never had to do this before, in an attempt to solve this problem, I opened 4 TCP ports on the router that was listed on the mini screen. This didn't help.

I'm at a loss for how to solve this. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  2. Jun 3, 2018 #2 of 62
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    First thing I’d try would be a full power reset, per the following...

3. Jun 3, 2018 #3 of 62
    Voting

Voting New Member

Jun 3, 2018
    This was one of the first things I did.

But I now realize I didn’t power down the Ethernet switches. I can’t imagine those would matter but I will try the full cycle in the morning.

4. Jun 3, 2018 #4 of 62
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    And the Actiontec MoCA adapter, as well?

5. Jun 4, 2018 #5 of 62
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I do not know why you would have a MoCa adapter to your Mini when its already built-in.

kpeters59 likes this.
  6. Jun 4, 2018 #6 of 62
    V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    He needs the MoCA adapter to establish the MoCA network for the Mini to use.

7. Jun 4, 2018 #7 of 62
    V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    You said you replaced the coax:
    But you don't really explain what you mean. You have proven that the MoCA adapter is working by swapping the Minis, so I would focus on the entire coax run from the bad location to where it ties in with the rest of your cable plant - probably a bad splitter or bad coax connector. If you think you know where that bedroom coax connects to the plant, first disconnect the cable there and verify the Bedroom Mini shows loss of connection. Then use a new free coax run through the halls/doors, etc. to test that connection with a mini.

8. Jun 4, 2018 #8 of 62
    fyodor

fyodor Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Can you access the coax splitter through which the minis access the main Tivo? I would see if there's a loose connection and/or try replacing the splitter.

9. Jun 4, 2018 #9 of 62
    V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    His main TiVo uses Ethernet. The problem is somewhere in the coax between the Actiontec MoCA adapter and his bedroom.

10. fyodor

fyodor Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I understand that he's using an adapter. Somewhere between the bedroom and the living room there's a splitter connecting the coax runs. I would check that splitter.

11. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    How much help did you get on the TiVo support forum? Any comment?

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Where in this timeline (new router 2 mos., Hydra upgrade 1 mo., Internet outage ?? wks) did the Mini connectivity issue start?

Specifically regarding the Internet outage, what can you say about how it was resolved? Did the issue just go away on its own, or did Comcast send a service technician?

If/when you can take the service outage, you could move your cable modem to the problem location and (1) see if it is able to sync, to demonstrate that the location *is* still connected to the coax plant; and (2) check the modem's signal levels to determine if the levels are proportionate to the expected loss at the location or more severe.

You could also check/report the MoCA statistics reported by the TiVo boxes that *are* able to connect via MoCA. MoCA stats are listed under the Network Troubleshooting > Network Status dialog.
    Look for # of nodes, MoCA channel, PHY rates and power estimates, and be sure to also note the MAC/hardware addresses for the nodes to compare against your devices' actual MAC addresses. (Basically, I'm wondering if your Bedroom coax run didn't somehow get reconnected by a Comcast tech to outside your "PoE" MoCA filter and is now trying to connect through another home's unfiltered MoCA network.)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Can you describe exactly where in the coax hierarchy your "PoE" MoCA filter is installed? ("inbound coax" is ambiguous)

And if you can locate the "PoE" MoCA filter, can you describe or diagram how the coax runs interconnect, through what component(s), and how they connect to the incoming cable signal?

14. Voting

Voting New Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Thanks for all the ideas. The current update:
    Full power cycle reset, following your steps, had no effect.

I can access splitters than I know about. Namely in the outside box and one in the basement. How do I check them? Do splitters just suddenly stop working after working for years? I will inspect them but don't expect to see anything - should I start replacing these to see if that is the issue?

Looking at network status for MoCA on the non-working Mini reports that it is up and has the correct number of nodes (3). In the 30 mins it has been powered up it shows 156 packets transmitted, TX Power -26, Packets received 114, bad packets received 0. Under Mini peer node it has TX PHY Rate 277573131, RX PHY rate 279182356, TX -26, RX -46.07. Under other peer node (assume MoCA adapter?) TX PHY 236417428, RX PHY 0, TX power -26, RX power -75.02, packets rec'd 0.

The internet outage and Tivo problems started in the last few days. The issue resolved itself without Comcast coming out. The issues should not be related to Hydra (unless there was a more recent update) or new router.

No response to my post there. Other than spam.

So off to look at the splitters. Other ideas?

15. Voting

Voting New Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I looked at the splitter in box on side of house. All connections were secure. I'm not sure what I'm looking for here. There was no other splitter that I could find.

Wiring diagram below. Blue is coax, green with arrows is Ethernet. The coax to the Mini's is a run for that whole part of the house - the run covers multiple (unused) outlets that are part of the original wiring.

[​IMG]

16. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Easy enough to check that splitter by just swapping the feed to the bad mini location to a known working out on the splitter and see if the mini then works.

krkaufman likes this.
  17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Same as before...

18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I’m not sure what this statement means.

Does the diagram reflect the actual coax runs and single 3-way splitter in-use?

p.s. Good suggestion by @UCLABB, to see if swapping outputs on the splitter changes which room has connection issues. (Short of having another 3-way to swap-in.)

19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    RX PHY rate of 0 Mbps is problematic, so there does seem to be a MoCA issue.

Sorry to be a nag, but when you did the power reset, you powered-off all the devices, including the Actiontec MoCA adapter, TiVos, modem, router and switch?

20. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Voting, what you describe, "The coax to the Mini's is a run for that whole part of the house - the run covers multiple (unused) outlets that are part of the original wiring." is not what you have diagrammed.
    From what you are saying, there is at least one and possibly more splitters between the main splitter and the now problematic Mini. It is likely that this is the part of the coax network which is causing the loss of the MoCA connection.
    Possible fix, make sure that first 4 way splitter is either a Holland or Verizon MoCA rated splitter, nothing else. To locate the likely hidden splitter, check the attic if you have one, or basement. Pull the covers off of the coax outlets in the target bedroom and any of those other unused locations you mentioned and see if there are any splitters hidden nearby, and either replace with the recommended MoCA splitters or if you can determine what coax goes where and possibly replace one with a barrel splitter.

ClearToLand likes this.