MOCA TiVos don't see LAN TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Scott9mm, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    I currently have a Roamio Plus on MOCA, a Premiere on MOCA (via an adapter), and a basic Roamio on my ethernet LAN, via 2 stitches and a RF bridge. The basic Roamio can see and play shows on the other two TiVos. KMTTG and TiVo Online Manage see and control the basic Roamio just fine. I am certain that the Premiere and Plus could see and play shows from the basic just fine until a week or two ago.

BUT the Premiere and Plus cannot see play shows from the basic. If I restart the Plus or Premiere they can see the basic and show the program list but I get a network error if I try to play a show.

Does anyone know if TiVo changed software to limit communication through multiple switches or a RF bridge?

2. HoTatII

HoTatII Active Member

Sep 21, 2016
    "Theoretically," as long as the TiVos are all on the same network (or subnet) they should all see and be able to share files. ...

"Practically" however, it's been my experience that the more intervening networking equipment there is between the two end nodes that need to communicate. The more something can go wrong this way.

Is there any way, (perhaps with a long ethernet cable) to temporarily bypass one of the switches as a test to see if the basic TiVo on ethernet can share with the TiVos on MoCA?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

3. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    Shazam!! You da man!

I bypassed the last switch (the one between the basic Roamio and the far end of the RF bridge) and all the TiVo stuff is working again. There must be some limit to the number of switches or that specific switch has some incompatibility. Issue. TBD at a later time. Many tanks for the clue. Scott

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  4. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    Apparently, TiVo remembers parameters from previous network connections and it gets confused by network changes. My basic Roamio worked fine when first connected to my RF bridge but not with a switch added between it and the bridge. Then I tried a WiFi connection and it couldn't find the router (it had a previous WiFi connection with a different SSID). Then It couldn't find the router when connected directly to the LAN bridge. However all is good again after repeating the guided setup, which needed two tries with power disconnected before the second guided setup.

5. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Make/model of the bad switch? (The one that broken things when it was introduced, and the problem was resolved when it was removed?)

There was a swath of TP-Link Green switches that were a little too Green for Tivo's, their link state power saving and Tivo's just didn't get along. And there was a string of Netgear switches with inappropriate default IGMP settings that broke Mini's (fortunately, you could get to a web interface and turn IGMP off and all would be well). It's often been suggested that other switches may have had mini-breaking poor IGMP defaults as well.

6. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    I think that switch is fine. I think that TiVo "remembered" network parameters from previous WiFi and Ethernet connections and got confused when I changed the network location. But a cold start followed by guided setup fixed it. It's now working fine from the switch. After the cold start it never asked for a subnet mask or DNS server but made a DHCP connection.