Moca splitter specs?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by marklyn, Jan 22, 2020.

1. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    I am adding a mini to my existing Roamio Pro & 2 mini's setup (moca setup). I'm going to try to find one locally but if not I've read that the Holland GHS-PRO-M series is the best to get (if I buy online).
    What are the specs for a 4 output moca splitter if I come across a 4 output locally?

2. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    For good MoCA performance, a splitter needs to be rated up to at least 1675MHz.

If you have a MoCA PoE filter in place on the input of your splitter, and no unusually long coax runs, then any splitter with good bandwidth should work fine. MoCA rated splitters like the Holland series will give better MoCA performance only when there is *no* PoE filter in the system. MoCA signal strength will be much higher with a PoE in place, so it is best to use a PoE no matter which splitter is used.

3. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    Thanks for the info and I do have a splitter in place. I found a 4 port splitter in my storage with frequency up to 2400Mhz so I plan on using that one.

4. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    I assume you meant "...I do have a PoE filter in place."

5. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    yes, filter is what I meant! goofy fingers/mind today.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    ... OR if the coax plant is something other than direct runs to a central splitter w/ PoE filter, where cascaded splitters may result in MoCA port jumping between output ports having lower total peer-to-peer loss. (see related, concurrent parallel thread here)

Not necessarily better than a standard cable-rated splitter. (see link above)

A splitter spec'd for a higher frequency range could even be worse for both your TV and MoCA signals if it's a splitter that was optimized for satellite performance.

7. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    I'm not convinced that port hopping provides any actual benefit when a PoE is in place, even in the scenario you describe. With a PoE in place, port hopping gives multiple paths for the MoCA signals, and multi-path signals are generally a problem for RF communications.