MOCA splitter repeatedly dies

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by FreeLunch, Sep 26, 2020.

1. FreeLunch

FreeLunch New Member

Dec 8, 2013

Advertisements

I have had a Roamio pro and TiVo mini's using MOCA to distribute the internet/tv to the Mini's and the Roamio.

It worked fine for 5+ years. Then about a year or so ago, my MOCA splitter died and I replaced it with another splitter. Then a few months ago, the same thing happened and I replaced it with a different brand MOCA splitter. It just died again and thankfully I purchased a spare last time and just by swapping out the splitter, everything is fine again.

1) Anyone have any recommendations for a good MOCA splitter? Am I just buying too cheap of ones? Here's the one I purchased:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M34OZ2S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2) Is there another issue that is causing these MOCA splitters to go bad?

Thanks for the help!

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Here is a shocking bit of information for you. Just because a manufacturer mentions "MoCA" in it's production description it means absolutely nothing unless it is actually "MoCA rated" by the MoCA Alliance. If you don't believe me, search around. Basically it is a gigantic marketing loophole because almost all splitters out there have some degree of "MoCA" capability.
    There are some few brands that do perform better with regard to MoCA, a frequently recommended one here are the Holland GHS-Pro Series which carry the MoCA Alliance label for a MoCA 2.0 rating. The older Verizon branded splitters also are known to perform well with MoCA but are getting rare now. The Sunburst brands are also MoCA rated, and although not fully tested, the AMPHENOL brand appears to have attempted to maximize the benefits of MoCA on at least some of its splitters. This one looks interesting, but is strictly for use as a primary splitter due to the builting MoCA filter, https://www.amazon.com/AMPHENOL-IPG...onics&sprefix=moca+sp,electronics,210&sr=1-25

krkaufman and FreeLunch like this.
  3. FreeLunch

FreeLunch New Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Thanks again for the helpful information. It doesn't surprise me that the marketing doesn't line up with the actual product. I just thought that once it worked, they wouldn't die so quickly. Well for me, it lasted 3 months. I ordered up a Holland GHS-Pro and hopefully that works for the long term.

4. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I've been using non-Moca splitters for years- the normal ones that are labeled 5-1002mhz. They've never been a problem.

5. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008

Advertisements

One thing to check is your cables. Over time, the white insulator inside the cable can shrink so that it leaves a gap between the insulator and the connector. This can affect performance. The remedy is to cut off the connector and crimp on a new one.

6. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Consider replacing the F-Type Crimps on the ends of the cables. Maybe they're causing a corrosion issue.

Splitters are a 'passive' device, so it's either corrosion or they're being damaged by voltage/current.

-KP

7. FreeLunch

FreeLunch New Member

Dec 8, 2013
    how would I track down if voltage or current was hurting the splitters? The splitter is inside the house so I don’t think it’s corroding in a few months. Thanks!

8. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Replace the crimps. You might be surprised.

-KP