MoCA speed 1.0 vs 2.1

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by TheBigDogs, Dec 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TheBigDogs

TheBigDogs Member

Oct 14, 2004
    So, with the TiVo bolt purchased earlier this week I have a small dilemma:Should I upgrade my Ethernet to MoCA devices from 1.0 to 2.1 based on increased speed?

I have a home that the previous owner actually refused to move into until all the builder pulled all the Ethernet cables from the house (it's a long story but suffice it to say we also have a "safe room"). Thank goodness, they left the Coax in place. I knew this when I bought the home and have been living with MoCa as both my entertainment and internet transport.

Running my main computer with a MoCa 1.0 device into a switch gives me about 350Mbps. Running with a 2600ac bridge gives me about 280Mbps. I could live with the 280 speed from the ac but, I can't get wireless throughout the house. That aforementioned safe room has steel walls and sits right in the middle of the house.

So, I've been running just fine in a house-wide MoCa network. However, I'm paying for Gb service and that's beyond the capability of the Actiontec converters that I now have installed. Does anyone have any specs on the speed difference between MoCA 1.0 and 2.1.

I would need 5 MoCA bridges which works out to about $200, but before spending any money I wanted to check and see if anyone in the forum had any experience with the effective speed of both MoCA releases.

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    p.s. Are you seeing MoCA 2.1 products somewhere? MoCA 2.0 is the latest for which I've seen retail products, and MoCA 2.5 is next on the horizon, though with no known delivery date for retail products.

The fastest MoCA products available are bonded/extended MoCA 2.0.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    A fun experiment, should your coax hierarchy support it and you wish to fund it, would be replacing your existing MoCA x.x equipment with bonded/extended MoCA 2.0 adapters, but connected for Turbo mode (supposedly 1Gbps net data rate).... where each coax MoCA segment is a single coax connection between two paired bonded MoCA 2.0 adapters. Not sure it's worth the theoretical additional 200 Mbps over a typical extended MoCA install (800+Mbps), but it's not my wallet.

Might want to try a test for a single segment before going all-in on the overhaul, of course. And use iPerf, jPerf, LAN Speed Test (w network server) to gauge the effective bandwidth.

5. southerndoc

southerndoc TiVo Fanatic TCF Club

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Is the Bolt and the Mini Vox using MoCA 2.0 or 1.1?

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    All BOLT models, the Mini VOX and the TiVo Bridge are standard MoCA 2.0 (<400 Mbps). No TiVo devices support bonded/extended MoCA 2.0.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  7. TheBigDogs

TheBigDogs Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Thanks so much for the help.
    Sorry for not replying sooner, the fires out here have kept us jumping as we go from optional to mandatory evacuation orders only to be followed (after the cars are full of stuff) by a no evacuation order. The fire fighters are incredible, the news casters - not so much.
    I use the Actiontec ECB2500C MoCA device to get an Ethernet connection from my coax in four rooms of the house. The speed results are from running Speedtest.net on a laptop connected directly to the Actiontec with a Cat6 cable.
    Yesterday I replaced my Romano with a TIVO bridge and setup my new Bolt in a different room. Everything continues to work as before with only slight changes (up and down) in connection speed. My concern was that I would have to replace the existing Actiontec units with MoCA 2.0 in order to keep from impacting the TIVO bridge - but 24 hours later, everything seems to be fine.

krkaufman likes this.
  8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    FYI... If you were looking to bump-up speeds at multiple locations, Amazon has again dropped the price for the TiVo Bridge*. It's currently $40, the lowest I've seen it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D94EUBS/

* standard MoCA 2.0 (400+Mbps), same as the BOLT and Mini VOX.