MOCA Setup

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tome10, Feb 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Feb 1, 2017 #1 of 18
    tome10

tome10 New Member

Jan 8, 2011
    I have a Bolt in the Master Bedroom, and a Mini in the Livingroom. I have Actiontec Bonded MOCA 2.0 at the Router location in the office, and another in the Livingroom feeding a Hub. I have a POE filter in place. The Bolt is wired directly to coax with the MOCA enabled. The Mini doesn't seem to speak MOCA, so I've been using the Ethernet connection out of the Hub, but it keeps timing out and disconnecting from the Bolt. So, what's up with the Mini? I tested the Network at the Hub, and 170Mb down, and 20Mb up, so it's at least that fast LAN-wise. But, why can't I get the Mini running on MOCA? I get a NO2 error unable to connect to DHCP server to obtain a network address. What am I doing wrong?

2. Feb 1, 2017 #2 of 18
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    In the LR, coming from the wall, run the coax to a splitter - one leg to the Moca adapter, the other to the Mini. Don't use the coax out from the Moca adapter. The TV port does not pass Moca.

krkaufman likes this.
  3. Feb 1, 2017 #3 of 18
    tome10

tome10 New Member

Jan 8, 2011
    lol I just figured that out before reading your reply. Strong work identifying the problem though.

mdavej likes this.
  4. Sep 4, 2019 #4 of 18
    bote110

bote110 New Member

Sep 4, 2019
    I have the same setup except the master bed room Bolt is MoCa connection stting {without a MoCa adapter} to my computer room next door where my modem/router is connected to a Actiontec MoCa 2.0 adapter {Basement I use 2 two way splitter's 1675Mhz each and connected all 3 rooms together} My Bolt is set at Moca and my mini is connected to another MoCa adapter using the Ethernet connection and works great and it connects to the Bolt Vox even if it's not on. Tried having the Bolt set on Wifi but the mini will not find it if the Bolt was off. I'm change the two 2-way splitters in the basement to a 9 port MoCa splitter to connect 4 rooms on the second floor and later rooms in the basement.

5. Sep 4, 2019 #5 of 18
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    So you have the MoCA adapter connected to a network switch, and the Mini is just one of the devices networked via the switch and MoCA adapter, then? (‘Cause a Mini wouldn’t need a MoCA adapter if the Mini is the only device at that location; Minis have built-in MoCA connectivity.)

FYI... Should you have other Ethernet-capable devices co-located with the BOLT, see here.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    mdavej likes this.
  6. Sep 4, 2019 #6 of 18
    bote110

bote110 New Member

Sep 4, 2019
    my modem/router has a MoCa adapter , my mini vox has the other , I tried connecting the mini to the wall it will not find the TiVo Bolt on the network? I have to connect the Ethernet cable to mini to the MoCa Adapter for it to work the TiVo Bolt is only connected by coax {but all 3 rooms are in a loop together}

7. Sep 4, 2019 #7 of 18
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah, that shouldn’t be the case. The Mini VOX has built-in MoCA connectivity and it should be able to connect as a MoCA client, same as you’re doing with the BOLT. If the MoCA adapter can establish a connection, the Mini VOX should be able to do so, as well, if you switch the coax connection from the MoCA adapter to the Mini.*

That said, if you have other Ethernet-capable devices at the Mini VOX location, you could add a network switch to get them all connected via the MoCA adapter, rather than just the Mini.

* p.s. Note that the Mini MoCA connection shouldn’t be attempted by connecting the Mini to the pass-through port of the MoCA adapter, as this port severely attenuates MoCA signals.

8. Sep 4, 2019 #8 of 18
    bote110

bote110 New Member

Sep 4, 2019
    I tried connecting the mini vox by it self to the wall and setting to MoCa and it says it can't find the Bolt in master bedroom, I added a 5 port switch to the the MoCa adapter an that works find . Any other setting that have to be set when I set the mini to MoCa?

9. Sep 4, 2019 #9 of 18
    shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You might need to remove the bolt from the listing and then add it again on the mini.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Same process as you used for connecting the BOLT.

p.s. Depending on how you acquired the Mini, not finding the BOLT could just have been an initial setup/activation hiccup. (see here) Did the Mini connect to the network and get through software updates but just failed to find the BOLT when you got to the "select a host DVR" stage of its Guided Setup?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  11. Steven Schoch

Steven Schoch New Member

Aug 7, 2019
    I have a BOLT and a Xfinity modem, with some MoCA-capable splitters and a MoCA filter.
    MoCA was working before I upgraded the Xfinity modem from what they called a V3 to a V6. Now they are not talking.

When I enabled MoCA on the modem, it says it is on channel D1a(1175 MHz). However, the BOLT's MoCA setup has a choice of channel 15-29, or "auto".

I have switched to Wi-Fi for the time being, but I'd like to use the direct wire of MoCA if I can. Is there anything I'm missing?

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Does that “15-29” include even-numbered channels?

At one point, the following were the only MoCA channel choices on a TiVo, outside “Auto,” correlating to the MoCA 1.1 channel center frequencies...

15: 1150 MHz (D1)
    17: 1200 MHz (D2)
    19: 1250 MHz (D3)
    21: 1300 MHz (D4)
    23: 1350 MHz (D5)
    25: 1400 MHz (D6)
    27: 1450 Mhz (D7)
    29: 1500 MHz (D8)

If setting your TiVo boxes to “Auto” doesn’t work, you might try setting the XB6 manually to 1200 MHz, to align with TiVo’s channel 17, as 1175 MHz appears centered on the unavailable “channel 16” (D1a).

D33D41A1-6584-4760-948D-B24DA36CB7EE.jpeg

The XB6 is bonded MoCA 2.0 but should be backward-compatible. (BOLT and Mini VOX are standard MoCA 2.0; other TiVo boxes are MoCA 1.1.)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    fcfc2 likes this.
  13. Steven Schoch

Steven Schoch New Member

Aug 7, 2019
    Thanks for that! I'll check the channel numbers when I get home. I tried "auto".

It turns out the gateway I have is the model TG3482G. The user interface doesn't appear to have a way to change the MoCA channel, so I'll have to call Xfinity tech support.

14. Steven Schoch

Steven Schoch New Member

Aug 7, 2019
    It's working!
    I don't know why now, but maybe I wasn't patient enough.
    Now that it's working, what are acceptable signal levels?

krkaufman likes this.
  15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Check the MoCA stats from a MoCA-connected TiVo box, and review the PHY rates and power estimates. PHY rates for MoCA 2.0 should be around 700 Mbps and the TX power estimate would ideally be nearer -30 dBm than +3. And it’s always good to note the number of nodes and confirm the number matches expectations.

16. Steven Schoch

Steven Schoch New Member

Aug 7, 2019
    Here are the MoCA stats. PHY rates are 627/638 Mbps and TX power estimate is -22 dBm.
    The "disconnected from the Internet" problem hasn't happened since this was connected, so maybe the problem is fixed!

20190906_183040.jpg 20190906_183059.jpg

17. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    I have a Comcast DPC3941 modem, and pre-Bolt Tivo devices, so I need Moca 1.1. My Moca network was working fine a long time (years) until recently, but now, for no apparent reason, with nothing changed, all of the TiVo devices can see each other (I can view programs on other TiVos, the Mini works), but not the cable modem. As mentioned, the Moca in the cable modem is set for D1a (channel 16), which is not a Moca 1.1 channel, with no way to change it. The GUI for the cable modem has a red X for its status, and says "Not Connected", even though the little white LED next to the cable connector indicates that Moca is powered on. I temporarily got the TiVos back online by using a spare ActionTec ECB2500C 1.1 adapter connected to one of the Ethernet ports on the cable modem, instead of the Moca support in the modem. The only thing I can think of is that I need to somehow cause the Moca devices to "rebuild" the Moca network on another frequency, but I am not sure how to do this. Any suggestions? Thanks.

18. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Do the other devices connect to the internet OK?

I'd recommend disconnecting every other MoCA device, except for the modem, and re-run Network Setup. Possibly the TiVo will be required, too.

And probably start your own thread?

Also, newer MoCA devices should be backwards compatible with earlier MoCA devices.

-KP

CharlesH likes this.