Moca setup for Roamio basic

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by EricDubU, Dec 23, 2016.

1. EricDubU

EricDubU New Member

Dec 23, 2016
    I need help with configuring a new moca for Tivo network in our home - the main Tivo is a Roamio basic 4-tuner and second unit will be a Mini. I have searched and searched through this forum but have not found my exact scenario. I have attached a diagram that shows my current setup. Basically Comcast cable input to house is split 2-ways: one coax to the internet cable modem and the other coax that will be split 2-ways. One coax is already going to my current Roamio. The other coax I will send to the Mini that I just purchased. As the diagram shows, my modem and router and Roamio are all in the same room.

My questions to this forum are:
    • How many Moca adapters do I n eed? I am not 100% sure that I need 2 since I'm confused about comments I've seen about connecting router to Roamio via Ethernet.
    • Where would adapter(s) be installed?
    • Please confirm that I would need POE filter and where that would be put?
    • Should I upgrade the splitters (they are just basic ones that cable company provides)?

Thanks so much for any advice I can get!

Attached Files:

2. GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    If you can hook up the basic Roamio via Ethernet cable, you need only 1 adapter, otherwise 2, since the basic Roamio doesn't have a built-in adapter.

The first adapter establishes a MoCa network and needs to be close enough to the router to connect to it via Ethernet. The mini should then be able to reach out to the mother ship via MoCa.

A second adapter would allow your Roamio to connect via coax (you'll possibly need another splitter as well).

A POE filter would be installed between cable from street and the first splitter.

Your current splitters may well be good enough.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Since the Roamio is close enough to be connected to the router by Ethernet, it does not need a Moca.

If the site where the Mini is does not have Ethernet, then use the built-in Moca.
    For which, if your router is not Moca capable, it needs an adapter.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    A diagram to go along with the above suggestions...
    cable network config - typical.JPG

... though I've added a second diagram that isolates your MoCA network to just the TiVo segment.
    cable network config - isolated MoCA.jpg

Also, the extra splitter in each diagram feeding the MoCA adapter and (modem/Roamio) could be eliminated if the MoCA adapter chosen for the project includes a second coax "RV/TV Out" port, allowing the (modem/Roamio) to be connected via this passthrough port -- and with less signal loss than using a splitter.

p.s. Plus one more variation, allowing your Mini live and recorded TV viewing to continue through a router reboot -- by connecting the MoCA adapter and Roamio to a standalone network switch, which is then connected to a LAN port on your router.
    cable network config - more isolated MoCA.jpg

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  5. EricDubU

EricDubU New Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Thanks GBL. This is probably a stupid question but if I connect the Roamio via Ethernet do I then disconnect the coax that is currently input into it? Would that ethernet-to_Roamio connection degrade TV signal strength?

6. GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    No, the coax is needed to feed cableTV to the Roamio. Ethernet/MoCa is used for getting guide data from TiVo and video sharing between mini and Roamio.

7. EricDubU

EricDubU New Member

Dec 23, 2016
    OK I finally received all my equipment and connected per the recommendations by GBL and the 1st diagram posted by krkaufman. So one MoCa adapter (Actiontec ECB 2500c) located near and connected to the router and cable modem and the Roamio connected by Ethernet to router. No luck! I cannot get the Mini to recognize MocCa network. One thing that seems odd is that I don't see the Coax light on the adapter lit up. I have successfully managed to not mess up anything else like TV on Roamio and internet, but still no Moca.

So I'm going to sift the forum to see if anyone has had this problem with this adapter to see if I'm missing anything.

Is anyone else absolutely convinced that I should be able to do this with one adapter as said in this thread? If not, then I'm wondering if I truly do need a second adapter by the Roamio. I would appreciate any comments and in the mean time I'll dig some more as I really don't want to spend money on 2nd adapter. Thanks.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    That's not "odd" given your symptoms. That LED will only light, I believe, once the first MoCA client connects.

Here's a simple test to prove the basic MoCA functionality of both that MoCA adapter and the Mini: direct-connect the Mini via a coax cable to the MoCA adapter's coax input port, keeping the MoCA adapter connected via Ethernet to your router -- and then attempt configuring the Mini for a MoCA network connection.

edit: p.s. You may need to power down and then restart both the MoCA adapter and Mini after making the connection changes. (And the Mini will obviously need to be temporarily moved to near the MoCA adapter, or at least close enough for a coax cable to stretch between the two.)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Your issue is strictly with the Mini being able to establish a MoCA network connection with your bridging MoCA adapter. The Roamio doesn't enter into your Mini's troubleshooting until the Mini is networked, has touched base with the TiVo mothership, and then is finally looking for a host DVR with which to connect.

'gist: You only need the one MoCA adapter (so long as your Roamio is connected via Ethernet to your home network).

The ECB2500C has 2 coax ports. The coax input port and NOT the port labeled "TV/RF Out" is what needs to be connected to your coax lines. (The "TV/RF Out" port, if unused, should be capped with a 75-ohm terminator -- though being uncapped, temporarily, shouldn't be a factor in your connectivity issue.)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  10. EricDubU

EricDubU New Member

Dec 23, 2016
    So sometimes it's not a missing puzzle piece but just a broken piece. Since your feedback seemed so spot-on, I felt I needed to test the basics of my connectivity. To shorten the story I found that the coax end connector behind the wall plate was so poorly crimped that it was not even connected to the plate. I've never used this coax since we moved in so I never thought of this potential defect. That's all it was.

To summarize for anyone who reads this and wants to know the final result, I attached a diagram of the working solution. I kept the 2 basic 5-1000 MHZ splitters and was able to avoid the extra TV room splitter because the MoCa adapter had the extra coax out. The key to my setup was having the router and main Tivo in the same room.

Oh, and during this whole process I painfully learned my lesson about not powering LAN-connected devices up and down in proper order or simply shutting them down first. Caused all sorts of IP conflicts.

Thanks again for your help Forum!

Attached Files:

Mikeguy, krkaufman and GBL like this.