1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MoCA set-up with TiVo Bolt and new Mini (C33 error)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by SG6544, Aug 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SG6544

SG6544 New Member

Aug 11, 2018
    I have a TiVo Bolt connected to cable and Ethernet with in one room.
    - 2 ghz splitter for cable connections to both Bolt and modem
    - Changed network settings to MoCa and Ethernet.
    - MoCA says it is connected successfully
    - have POE filters on both entry point for cable on wall and poe at modem connection

I just got a TiVo mini
    - connected to cable in wall with another poe filter at wall
    - keep getting a C33 error and MoCA will not work

Other things-
    Live in high rise with 2 separate cable connections in condo and not possible to daisy chain connections
    New TV is wireless and connected to wifi

TiVo support told me to wait 24 hours as it was the first time connecting, but still does not work.

Any help is much appreciated!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Remove this POE filter, its not needed.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    To be clear, not only is it not needed ... but it's problematic, since a "PoE" MoCA filter BLOCKS MoCA signals from passing.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This one is seemingly also problematic since it would keep MoCA signals from the BOLT from reaching the coax wall outlet, their path out of the room and over to the Mini. (The "PoE" MoCA filter on the modem connection shouldn't be a problem, but it may also not be necessary, depending on the brand/model of the modem and whether it has a built-in MoCA immunity filter.)

What's missing from your issue description is how the coax connection is made between rooms. It's the common junction point for these two(?) coax runs where you need your "PoE" MoCA filter installed, to allow MoCA signals to travel between your rooms but not escape out onto the provider premise or to neighbors' homes.

If you don't have access to the junction point for your coax runs, you'll need your cable provider to isolate your coax runs from the other units, including installation of the "PoE" MoCA filter.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    FYI... A simple test, at the expense of any TV tuning by the DVR, would be to direct-connect the Mini to the BOLT via a short coax cable, and then configure the Mini for a MoCA connection. The Mini should have full functionality aside from Live TV (since the TV signal has been temporarily disconnected from its host DVR).

This test can be handy to prove MoCA functionality of the devices involved, and to make the user (you) more comfortable with how the configuration process should go when things work properly.

6. SG6544

SG6544 New Member

Aug 11, 2018
    ...so I removed both extra Poe filters and got the same error. C33
    - in connecting the mini to the bolt through a coax cable - I got nothing? Don’t see how to configure the MoCA?

7. SG6544

SG6544 New Member

Aug 11, 2018
    - also, not sure how the coax connects as it is just a wall connection. I assume the cable is run through the walls as I know the building signal to other units is through the main junction box only.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Who's the cable provider for the building?

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Also, please see the following post Re: multi-unit dwellings, >here<.

'gist: You'll need the cable provider to isolate your unit from the others (should really happen for every unit, and at least all active subscribers) using a "PoE" MoCA filter as described in the linked post.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Not entirely unexpected, per my previous post Re: multi-unit dwellings.

You'd enable the MoCA client connection on the Mini the same way you've been attempting up until now.

NOTE: Left unsaid [assumed] in my post suggesting the direct-connect test was that the Mini, temporarily moved to the BOLT location, would require a video output connection allowing it to be configured and its functionality verified. If the TV doesn't have multiple HDMI inputs, the HDMI connection for the BOLT can temporarily be swapped to the Mini, since the BOLT should require no reconfiguration during the test.​