moca set up to my roamio basic- new house

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by leiff, May 29, 2018.

1. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area

Advertisements

Moving to a new house. We have Comcast internet/ TV services. All three rooms downstairs and the one room upstairs have coax cable already. Rather than fish ethernet through the walls I'd like to try moca. I was considering having my Romeo basic downstairs in one of the rooms. Also downstairs will be one Tivo Mini and my second Tivo Mini will be upstairs. my modem/router will be in a different room than my roamio which I guess is a good thing since I won't have to split the signal and I won't need additional splinter. I planned on keeping my desktop computer right beside my modem and router seems to make the most sense so I can hook it up directly to my cable modem via Ethernet. So my understanding is this is where my first MoCA adapter goes and a second moca adapter for my upstairs room. Would I then need a third adapter to supply a second room downstairs for my second mini since I don't think my second mini downstairs will be near my PC modem? will it need its own MoCA adapter?
    The Comcast box is unsecured on the side of the house I opened it and I can see coax cables going in and feeding it. My understanding is I need to put a point of entry filter inside of here. Am I correct my Romeo basic ethernet port will function as a ethernet bridge if my Romeo is utilizing moca in my scenario? If my Romeo will do this that will be good for me because I will only need one other Internet connected device beside in my Romeo room this will save me from having to buy a network switch. Unless things have changed the TiVo minis do not have ethernet Bridge functionality to my knowledge. Do the Tivo Mini version 1 vs mini version 2 have the same mocha performance? Because I have both and I was curious if the version 2 is would perform better in this capacity. I don't mean the new Vox Minis by the way which I don't have.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    There's a pretty good chance that the Comcast router you have has integrated MoCA. Just log in to it and check.

All the Mini's have built in MoCA. So, possibly you would only need a single MoCA Adapter for your Roamio.

Put the POE Filter right at the splitter.

Do all the Coax's terminate at one location? Like the attic? Or a Structured Wiring Panel?

-KP

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  3. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    thanks for fast replay. I'd like to order my equipment today that I'll need.
    Like I said there's a box on the exterior of the house that all the coax cables look to go into that I have access to where I guess they terminate. It's not a Comcast router. I recently bought the router it's not that old as it contains the newer 5 gigahertz range Wi-Fi. The modem I use for Comcast internet I also also recently bought which has the newer faster doxic profile. I tried signing into my Comcast account but it would not tell me the model numbers and I'm not at the house right now. is the $60 from amazon moto mm1000 the moca adapter I should buy? I noticed TiVo sells something called moca bridge for $80. I won't need a switch will I?

4. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    The basic Roamio does not have MoCA builtin, so if you cannot reach it via Ethernet, you will need one MoCA adapter at that location, and a second one nearby your router. You will also need at least on MoCA POE / Whole Home DVR filter, possibly more depending on your cable modem.
    In most cases the MoCA filter will usually go on the input of the first splitter to enter your home...likely in that box attached to your house.
    The MM1000 adapter on Amazon is likely your best deal, not the Tivo Bridge.

5. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area

Advertisements

Thanks guys I'm going to put my order in now through Amazon for two of those $60 mm1000 MoCA devices and a $7 Poe filter. Hopefully I don't need a splitter or anything else. One moca device in front of my Romeo basic and the other one in front of my modem/router.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It might be worth it to check that box. My feed comes into the box and splits 2 ways. One leg feeds my modem only. The other leg feeds another splitter that feeds all my TV outlets. If I was using MoCA, my POE filter would be placed on the connection that feeds the TV splitter. If I keep the MoCA away from my modem and inside my house it will be mission accomplished and my modem will be happy. But if you can't get into your outside box, then do what's best.

7. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    is this Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter, 2 Pack better?(ECB6200K02
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013J7O3X0/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
    Even though Amazon is selling 2 pack for $160 which is $40 more than the x2 $60 units, I qualify for Amex points $30 off Amazon promotion that this 2Pac is eligible for but the $60 single unit was not eligible so with a $30 discount for the two pack the two packs still ends up costing $10 more but wondering if it's better?

8. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    my router is ASUS Wireless-AC1900 .
    I can't see if it says it supports mocha or not someone said if it did I would only need one MoCA device?

9. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    The MM1000 and the ECB6200 should be functionally equivalent. If the Amex points can be applied elsewhere (or not), the MM1000 is the better value.

10. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    That is correct, but "if" is the key word. I don't think the ASUS AC1900 has MoCA support.

11. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Are the Tivo Minis only MoCA version 1? because if that's the case would I be better off saving money buying cheaper MoCA version 1 units since I read if any MoCA device runs at version 1 all MoCA devices will run at that slower speed.
    Should I be ordering MoCA rated switches to put inside my Comcast cable box unit attached to the outside of my house? I don't think I'll need any in my house since I'm not putting my modem and TiVo in the same room. In my rooms with minis where the ethernet port will not work as a ethernet Bridge like my roamio will, is the best way to add additional internet devices to these rooms more $60 MoCA adapters?

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The MoCA spec states that, being peer-to-peer, any two MoCA nodes should communicate at the highest MoCA spec supported by both nodes ... and lower-spec'd MoCA devices present on the coax shouldn't affect this peer-to-peer link speed; however, there have been reports (rumors) of some devices causing all devices to fall-back to MoCA 1.1. MoCA 1.0 devices are definitely problematic for devices running the later MoCA specs, but that shouldn't be an issue for a new setup ... assuming you don't add any MoCA 1.0 devices.

Yes, the TiVo Mini v1 & v2 are both MoCA 1.1 (up to 170 Mbps) and have Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps) interfaces.

If you're ONLY looking for MoCA to provide networking for your TiVo boxes, consider that your basic Roamio will be limited to 100 Mbps max throughput by its Fast Ethernet interface. The Roamio would be happy with the throttled rates of an Actiontec ECB2500C, so, yeah, extended/bonded MoCA 2.0 adapters are overkill for networking just your TiVo boxes. Though if you're looking for a budget MoCA 1.1 adapter, the Actiontec WCB3000N may fit the bill, currently selling for $15 on Amazon. (Though one downside of the WCB3000N is that it lacks the RF/STB Out pass-through port that you seem to be planning on having available in your MoCA adapters.)

If you have other devices you want to link via the MoCA network, then the desired bandwidth would determine the MoCA adapter(s) to choose. See this post for a range of MoCA adapter options and their associated bridging throughput.

If you're placing an order, yeah, that's ideal. Holland GHS-PRO-M are one recommended model (see here); Verizon's MoCA 2.0-rated splitters another.

Only if your chosen MoCA adapters have RF pass-through ports; otherwise, you'll need MoCA-compatible splitters to provide connections to the MoCA adapters and the modem or base Roamio.

Best is in the eye (and requirements) of the beholder; same discussion as above applies.

Keep in mind that the Minis don't have to be connected via MoCA if you're using some other device (MoCA adapter) to make the wired network connection; the Mini could instead be connected as just one of the Ethernet devices connected via the MoCA adapter. This would eliminate the need for a coax splitter at any Mini location where you'd be looking to network additional devices.

NOTE that the RF pass-through port of a MoCA adapter does not pass MoCA signals (owing to the adapter's use of a diplexer, internally, to efficiently filter/direct signals), so it wouldn't be possible to cascade a Mini off a MoCA adapter's pass-through port as a way to provide both the MoCA adapter *and* Mini with MoCA connections.​

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The earlier comment was made under the assumption that you had a Comcast-supplied gateway (i.e. combo modem/router), with nearly all recent Comcast gateways including built-in MoCA bridging support (akin to a router having a built-in wireless access point).

However, a standalone router (i.e. router-only, not a combo device), such as your ASUS, will almost never support MoCA bridging since it lacks a landing pad for the far side of the MoCA bridge, coax connectivity. (FiOS' MoCA gateways are an exception.)

With your basic Roamio and modem/router in separate rooms, you'll need 2 MoCA adapters to get your TiVo whole home setup working, one for each location.

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    A recent discussion highlighted that the MM1000 adapters do have a configuration UI, for at least configuring MoCA privacy (firmware 1.0.0.8, released in March); while the Actiontec MoCA 2.0 adapters lack any user configuration functionality.

15. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Thanks for all info. I ordered the Poe filter and faster more expensive 2.0 MoCA adapters since the install is easier and they require less Splitters. I didn't order any Splitters though. now it's too late if I order them from Amazon they still won't get here as quick as the moca adapters. can I try hooking the mocao adapters up when they arrive without swapping the existing Splitter in my Comcast box on the side of my house? Is it for sure what kind of splitter I will need? the standard one input /two output? I have one like this probably left by Comcast Cable company. I'll attach photo here. No chance this would work just as well?

Attached Files:

16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, it may work with existing splitters. No harm in trying; and upgrade the splitters if needed.

17. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    So I understand my roamio basic does not have MoCA which is why I required two MoCA adapters, but please help me understand my setup for my adapter on my TiVo roamio end.
    So I take the coax cable out of my wall going into roamio and put it directly into the mocaadapter "coax in"port and the "coax out" port of adapter goes into roamio. Is my roamio now networked without using any ethernet connections here? So that would mean I now have the roamio network in this room plus the ethernet port out of the roamio plus the ethernet port out of the ethernet adapter means I can Network Three devices without any network switches in the room with my roamio? I understand this relies on using the ethernet port out of my roamio as a ethernet Bridge which I'm hoping the roamio basic is capable of? And as far as configuring the TiVo and settings as far as client and what have you do I need to adjust? Thanks!

18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    ... and so the MoCA-less 4-tuner Roamio's Ethernet port will need to be connected directly to its MoCA adapter's Ethernet port, or a network switch used to provide the network connection between the MoCA adapter, Roamio and any other Ethernet-capable devices co-located with the Roamio DVR and its MoCA adapter.

Either way, the MoCA-less Roamio, connected via Ethernet, will be configured for an Ethernet connection.

19. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Pictures also can be a good thing, in this TiVo approach. :)

https://support.tivo.com/articles/Installation_Setup_Configuration/MoCA-Networking-Help
    [​IMG]

20. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003