MOCA Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rmnyc, Dec 21, 2012.

1. rmnyc

rmnyc New Member

Jun 8, 2012

Advertisements

I have a Premier XL4, and a Premier 4.

Do I also need a MoCA Network adapter?? To create a MoCa Network?

I have Optimum Cable service.

2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    There are 2 ways to do it with cable.

1. Connect a moca adapter to the router and cable modem to setup the moca network. They're $50 on Tivo's site.

2. If one of the Tivos is close enough to the router, an ethernet cable could be run to it, and that too can create the moca network for the other Tivo to use.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Just to expand a little on what Jim said... Both of your TiVos are 4 tuner units, which means they have MoCa built in. They can also act as a MoCa to Ethernet bridge. So if either TiVo is close enough to your router to run an Ethernet cable then doing so, and enabling bridge mode on that TiVo, will allow both TiVos to connect to the internet. And if you have other equipment near the other TiVo which needs to get online you can use bridge mode on it and plug things into it's Ethernet port.

If the router is in a completely different room then both TiVos then you will need a MoCa adapter to put near the router.

Dan

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    This is me being slightly ridiculous on purpose…

Does that mean I could get ONE Moca adapter for downstairs, and then put a bridge hooked up to my Premiere 4's Ethernet port, and plug my Tivo HD, Playstation 3, and computer into IT to get Ethernet through the Tivo?

(I currently use a WiFi bridge, and with the Premiere's reliance on the Internet, I realize my Wifi is flakier than I used to think.)

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

Advertisements

not sure i follow totally but i think YES- the tivo's can "convert" moca back into ethernet

for example...

cable modem -(ethernet)- verizon moca router -(moca) - 4 tuner tivo -(ethernet)- internet connected bluray player

...works just fine

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yeah, but my question was really more than one item hooked into the Tivo's ethernet port through a bridge.. but I guess I really would need a ROUTER, not a bridge..

7. BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004
    Yeah, bridges and individual devices can be daisy-chained off the P4/XL4 ethernet port if there's a moca network.

8. retired_guy

retired_guy New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Saratoga,...
    I've got a cheap switch attached to my Elite's ethernet port with output from the switch attached to a S3 and a Sony blu-ray player. Works great

9. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Been lurking for a while so first question which is a follow-up to this thread.

I have a TiVO Premier, do all of the Premier units support MOCA in addition to ethernet, or is there a specific hardware revision needed?

I'm currently using Verizon FiOS and the supplied router provides MOCA, I'm guessing it would be compatible with the TiVO's MOCA interface, correct?

Currently I have 2 STBs from Verizon plus the TiVO, and my network is divided so that the Verizon STBs (and the VZ supplied router) is seperated from my network via a firewall (I don't trust VZ), the 2 STBs get an IP address that is associated with the MOCA/VZ router, my TiVO is currently on my "inside" network via Ethernet based upon the IP address assigned.

If I want to move the TiVO to the MOCA interface, other than disconnect the ethernet how do I tell the TiVO to use MOCA?

Thanks,
    -TL

10. retired_guy

retired_guy New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Saratoga,...
    If your Premiere has an internal MoCa adapter, then you use Setup on the Premiere for the Network and select MoCa. If not, then you'll need an external MoCa adapter. I use the Actiontec adapter and it has an ethernet output connection which you'd connect to the ethernet port on the TiVo and a coaxial output which you'd connect to the Premiere coax input for TV signals. Then you use Network setup for an ethernet connection. Note that Actiontec has a special model for Verizon which you may need, depending upon your Verizon router; I'm with Comcast so don't have experience with Verizon.

11. BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004
    With the Fios router your house is lit up for moca, yes. But only 4-tuner Tivos have moca built-in. The 2-tuner Tivos require an adapter. If you're happy with the ethernet connection, there's not much need to switch to moca.

12. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    To hook multiple devices to the TiVos Ethernet port you need a switch NOT a router. A switch is kind of like an Ethernet splitter. So you connect one of the ports on the switch to the Ethernet port on the TiVo and then all the other devices to the switch and they will all be able to talk over the MoCa network. That's actually how mine is setup. I have 2 regular TiVos, a PS3, an XBox 360 and an Ooma connected to a switch, which then plugs into my TiVo Elite which then connects via MoCa to my upstairs network which has the internet connection. It all works perfectly.

Dan

13. tornado

tornado Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Pflugerville...
    Excellent! While I was out finishing up the Christmas shopping today, I was thinking of ways that I could speed up my old HomePlug (powerline) ethernet, which I use for three desktops in the family room.

MoCa adapters aren't cheap, and I thought it would be great if the Tivo in there could act as a bridge, connected to a switch, so I could piggyback off that connection.

A quick TCF search, and here I was at this very recent thread, discovering that what I wished for would actually work.

Now I'm posting this from one of those desktops. My broadband is rated 15 Mbps -- the desktops over HomePlug were testing around 1.5 before, and they're testing at 12 now.

Great timing for this discussion. Thanks!

14. Mr. Happypants

Mr. Happypants Bal'more Hon

Jan 29, 2006
    Good timing on the thread, I've been looking at the MoCA Network Adapter on Tivo's page since it's so cheap, but reading these posts I may not even need it. Here's my setup & question:

Currently one Series 3 HD connected via Wireless b/g Adapter, soon to add a Premiere XL4 in a room that has coax but no ethernet access. Service is through Fios, so I'm already MoCA enabled to some extent. I had intended to put the MoCA adapter on the new Premiere, which I now gather is unnecessary, but if I enable MoCA through its interface, does that provide access to the Guide data, or will I still need a Wireless Network adapter? (We have no landline service any more, thanks to Ooma.)

My other plan was to dump all of the current shows that will allow transfer off of the Series 3 to the new Premiere XL4. I'd like the fastest connection between the 2 TiVos and had hoped the MoCA connection would provide better than 802.11 N speeds - is that a decent assumption?

15. Ben_Jamin75

Ben_Jamin75 Member

Dec 18, 2003
    Monroe, MI
    I recently upgraded to a XL4 from TiVo HD myself, transferring shows from HD->XL4 on a wired connection, on a dedicated switch, was still slow. I averaged 30 minutes for each hour of HD programming. It took me about 2 days to get everything transferred. I setup 10-15 episodes to transfer in the morning before work, more when I got home, and even more before bed.
    From what I've read here, the TiVo HD is the bottleneck, not the network connection.

I don't have MOCA setup, but YES you can download guide data etc via MOCA, no wireless adapter needed.

16. Mr. Happypants

Jan 29, 2006
    Interesting, because my other idea was to get the MoCA adapter, and replace the slower 802.11 b/g adapter on the Series 3HD to hopefully get better transfer speeds. May still do that, as I can sell the wireless adapter to cover the cost anyway.

Sweeeet, thanks for the confirmation! I'm not that worried about the time it takes to get things off the Series 3, just that it's about full and I don't want to throw a larger HD or external drive at it now.

17. BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004
    You're correct, an adapter is not necessary with Fios and an XL4. The moca/coax connection will provide all connectivity. It just works.

Series 3 and older units don't have great networking. But you can always experiment first... Before buying a moca adapter for the Series 3, I would do a program transfer from the Series 3 to the XL4. Then go into the XL4's Settings > Network > Network Diagnostics and look at your transfer history and see how fast the connection is (called "Incoming DVR transfer"). If your results are substantially below 15mbps, then you might consider a moca adapter. But if you're close to that or higher, you might as well stay put since you won't get much more than that out of older boxes. That's just my opinion though.

18. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Thanks, I had a feeling that the dual tuner unit didn't support MoCA out of the box since I didn't see any options on the TiVO regarding it.

I have plenty of switch ports available, I just don't have multiple ethernet drops run everywhere. Some of the ethernet drops I can split since 10/100mb ethernet only requires 2 pairs (1Gb ethernet requires all 4 pairs). As it is I have 18 unique MAC addresses currently on my network, thank goodness for a 48 port switch. :)

19. Mr. Happypants

Jan 29, 2006
    Cool, I didn't know the new Premieres had that capability. I won't have it activated & get the CableCards from Verizon until at least this weekend but I'll definitely give that a shot. Thanks!