MOCA or CAT5e

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Pacomartin, Jan 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013

Advertisements

I have my minis connected to the DVR by running CAT5e ethernet cables to the router. One representative from the cable company said that was nonstandard and the company wouldn't debug problems. Another technician said that is the preferred way to wire a house, and MOCA is just a convenient backup since so many homes are prewired with coaxial.

I tend to think the technician was correct, but I am curious if most people agree.

2. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I absolutely agree with this statement. But "preferred" may be a bit misleading - in reality, either is just fine if it works for you.

I'm sure there are many people who know more than I, but since I spent the last 40 years in electronics, computers, and consulting in those areas, I think I do have a valid basis for my opinion.

3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Pretty much your choice.

I like MoCA for the video, if possible, to keep the traffic off the switch.

-KP

4. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Are the Tivo's in question the retail versions or the ISP versions?
    Assuming the "techs" in question are from the ISP and the Tivo's are the ISP's, you are at the mercy of the Tech at your door. Since most "techs" are high school graduates with only OJT....their knowledge and abilities are...."variable".
    The "tech" who said the Ethernet hookup was "non-standard" is likely correct in the sense that only a small % of homes have Ethernet runs, whereas almost all homes have coax and therefore use coax/MoCA for their connections. So, in that sense, the one "tech" was correct in describing Ethernet as "non-standard". The fact is, this "tech" was probably one of the more "limited" ones and was simply looking for an excuse to not deal with something he had little or no experience with.

5. Rugged Ron

Rugged Ron Member

Jul 5, 2011

Advertisements

I started using MOCA about three years ago feeding 5 Mini's, and highly recommend it. It has been virtually trouble-free for me. I recommend installing a POE filter at the head-end, and if you have a tuning adapter, it is mandatory that you use a splitter to feed it. A TA will block the MOCA signal if you try to feed through it. Don't ask how I know this! As someone said earlier, it keeps a lot of traffic off my router, which seems to consistently take on more responsibilites.

6. razor237

razor237 Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Jackson, NJ
    I think Either is a good choice depending on your setup and what is easier for you. I've always been a fan of cat 5e and have direct runs through out my house. a year or so ago i was having issues with my minis and host boxes losing connections and what not so shows wouldn't play correctly and couldn't see other boxes. I have a lot of stuff on my network so figured maybe i was overloading things with the extra tivo traffic so i switched everything to MCOA and all TiVos are working great with movies, live tv, plex, Netflix and YouTube no difference then my cat 5 besides it working. Turns out after some digging into my network i had a switch that was going bad and a slightly messed up cable going to the tivo on another switch that everytime the cat when back there and hit the cables it would mess up that tivo causing the minis to stop working lol :oops::oops: . I still kept the TiVo's on MOCA cause it works good so no need to mess with it again. figured i would share my experience with the two

kpeters59 likes this.
  7. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles

I will unabashedly say that I prefer that Cat 5e/6 over MOCA.
    But to be fair, I've built both 10Base-T and coaxial networks from raw stock and that taints my view.
    I routinely push HD Video and data on my 1000Base-T network simultaneously without issue.

But there's nothing wrong using MOCA/Coax if that's what's available and you don't want to pull Twisted Pair.
    But the bit about the Cable Company not supporting Cat5e because it's nonstandard is a load of horse hockey.

kpeters59 likes this.
  8. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013
    I was not aware that MOCA increased the bandwidth capacity of your local area network. I thought it just gave you more wires to work with.

=====
    I did notice one advantage of using coaxial cable instead of CAT5-e wire. I used to have a TV in a room where the wires went through a cinderblock wall with a hole drilled. We had water, electricity and coaxial going through the same hole. When I tried to switch to CAT5-e there was interference because of the electrical wire and I couldn't get a signal.

9. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    When streaming between two devices on the same MoCA network (say, from a TiVo to a mini), the traffic is confined solely to the coax. Traffic will appear on the LAN only when streaming between a MoCA device to a device that isn't on the same MoCA network (e.g. Netflix). This is perhaps the biggest advantage to using a MoCA network rather than connecting everything with ethernet cables.

10. razor237

razor237 Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Jackson, NJ
    It didn't increase the bandwidth on my network, instead it took some load off my Cat5 network and moved it to the MOCA Side of the network so now all Tivo to Tivo streaming and transfers are on the MOCA only and only goes to the LAN side when its connecting to something thats not on the MOCA network. so now if one of my switches craps out again it will not mess with the TiVo's talking to each other for shows , transfers and live TV keeping the kids and wife happy lol :)

kpeters59 likes this.