MOCA Networking Problem (Edge, with Older Mini)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mike-d, Nov 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. mike-d

mike-d Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Baltimore,...

Advertisements

MOCA Networking Experts? HELP!!
    I have had a stable TIVO environment for a couple years. I have a BOLT, Mini VOX and 2 Older Minis. I have a TIVO Bridge and all use MOCA to connect to the network. Everything is DHCP. So, during the last prior sale I purchased a new EDGE. When I started it up it could not connect to the MOCA network (C33). It seemed only able to connect when I disconnected all other MOCA devices. I called tech support and they could not figure it out, I sent it back (may have been defective?). Today, I thought I would try again. I just received another new EDGE. Again I hooked it up and it could not connect to my MOCA network (C33, using the same physical connection the Bolt was just using). I disconnected everything else and it connected immediately. I have been playing with this (for hours) disconnecting, reconnecting, rebooting… The bottom line is it seems that the new EDGE conflicts with either of the 2 Older Minis. The Old Minis can’t connect to the MOCA network, unless I shut down the EDGE, and vice versa. The Mini Vox, seems to be OK with the EDGE. And the Bolt and Edge are always happy to connect to each other. It seems that if I start-up either Older Mini it can MOCA connect only if the EDGE is off-line. The EDGE is the same, it can only MOCA connect if both Older Minis are offline. It seems the first one to connect wins. WTH? Any inspiration?

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Reduce everything down to the minimum needed to get each device online, one at a time, and re-run Network Setup.

Once that works, try the TiVo again.

-KP

3. mike-d

mike-d Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Baltimore,...
    All done - Restarted each one at a time (Modem, Router, Bridge, Bolt, Edge, Mini Vox), connected to tivo, all was fine until I started the first Old Mini. It could not connect, C33. I switched the Edge to ethernet using a actiontec bridge, turned off moca on the edge, all is fine. I can buy another bridge and leave it this way, but damit, it should work. Another possible fix may be swapping the old mini for a mini vox, possibly? Is it possible that the edge is not as backward compatible via moca as the bolt is? Thx!

4. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    What are the MoCA stats before, during and after you make that last connection?

-KP

5. mike-d

mike-d Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Baltimore,...

Advertisements

What stats do you mean? After it cant connect, there are no stats that I can get to. Right now on the tivo mini, it is connected, since I have the edge on an actontec bridge now. It says: IP 192.168.1.17, gateway/DNS 192.168.1.1, link status up, reset 0, channel 15, network version 1.1, tx power -14, tx phy rate 239, tx power estimate -14, rx power estimate -56... I can check the old tivo mini later... THX

6. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    What is actually displayed, then?

-KP

7. mike-d

mike-d Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Baltimore,...
    I get a C33, and the network test screen says Failed/Failed.

8. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Maybe you should post up a diagram of your wiring and connections?

Is there any chance there's some device in the path that's causing this? What Cable Modem do you have?

-KP

9. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
  10. mike-d

mike-d Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Baltimore,...
    Still not working... If I shut down everything and connect the edge first, the edge will connect to MOCA ok, then the Bolt and mini Vox A95 can connect. The A92s then cant connect. Also - My actiontec moca bridge 2500 can not connect. Similarly, If I shut down everything, the A92 Mini can connect to MOCA, then the Bolt and A95 Mini Vox and the actiontec 2500 can connect, but the Edge gets a C33 error. Seems the Edge causes some MOCA conflict with the older moca devices, that the Bolt did not?

11. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    No diagram?

You don't have the Edge Ethernet cable plugged in too, do you?

-KP

12. mike-d

mike-d Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Baltimore,...
    NOPE Ethernet not connected - But...
    I may actually have some clarity here... I have been trying a million combinations of things. I started to get curious about MOCA versions. My MOCA network is setup by a TIVO Branded ECB6000 (actiontec moca 2.0 bridge). With this I have connected all my prior devices with no problem (bolt, a95 mini, a92 mini) and the Edge would connect as long as the old A92 mini was not connected. When I do this (with the A92 disconnected) the MOCA version is shown as 2.0 (on the tivo network status screen) on all devices. When I re-setup my old setup (bolt, A95 mini and A92 Mini) all functions well and the MOCA status is shown as 1.1. The newer devices downgrade to 1.1, to accommodate the A92 Mini. But now the Edge can not connect (C33 error). To further test this theory, I removed the ECB6000 bridge and installed an older ECB2500 bridge (Moca 1.1 only). With nothing else connected, the EDGE can not connect to moca, but then all my other devices can and show Moca as version 1.1. So the answer seems to be merely that the Edge Can Not Connect to a Moca 1.1 Network, and in fact requires a 2.0 network!!! Does this make sense? Has anyone been able to connect an Edge to a MOCA 1.1 network? My guess is not... Thanks

kpeters59 likes this.
  13. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    MoCA 2.0 is supposed to be backward compatible with MoCA 1.1, so if this turns out to be the case then I would consider it a defect in the Edge.

I would think there would be other Edge uses that have a MoCA setup with older TiVos and minis, so I'm still optimistic that we'll figure out what is going on and fix your problem.

14. mike-d

mike-d Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Baltimore,...
    Yes - It would be a defect. It has done this to me on 2 edges. The conclusion was reached when all I had on my network was a ECB2500 (1.1) bridge and the edge could not connect, but other tivos then could. I have sent an inquiry to TIVO, but have low expectations of getting a coherent response.

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    (Seems more a MoCA firmware issue w/ the EDGE, but...)

Does the EDGE allow for customization of the MoCA settings when connecting as a client? If so, what channel settings are available, and what are you using?

And you're configuring the EDGE as a client, and not as a bridge, right?

Something to test ... a direct connection b/w the EDGE and the older Mini.
    1. move the EDGE to a location where it can have an Ethernet connection to your LAN, but leave its coax port disconnected and disable MoCA on the EDGE;
    2. with the EDGE connected only via Ethernet, configure the EDGE as a MoCA bridge;
    3. connect the old Mini directly to the EDGE via a short coax cable, and configure the Mini as a MoCA client.
    Result?

16. mike-d

mike-d Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Baltimore,...
    HI - There is no customization available. I pick Channel Auto, and it seems to then pick Channel 15 on all the devices. I also use an encryption key and enter that.
    Oh yea, Set as Client.

Your test (#1-3)is an interesting one to try! Will need some time to make that happen.

Thanks

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Is there no Channel setting other than Auto?

The privacy key is new information, from my reading. When trying the direct-connect test, I'd suggest starting w/ no privacy key (on either device). Using some other simple key, different from your main key, on both devices, would then be the next step if the devices can connect absent privacy.

18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003