MoCA Networking Issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by AlanF, Dec 11, 2017.

1. AlanF

AlanF New Member

Dec 11, 2017

Advertisements

Hello Community,

I wanted to post this in hopes it might help others. My setup is i have a Roamio Pro with 4 Mini's and a Tivo bridge installed near my router/modem. I also have an Electroline powered Amp connecting all the devices due to cable length and number of devices, not wanting to split the signal with any degradation.

System has been setup on a MoCA network, running fine for about 9+ months. On Dec 2 or 3 (while i happened to be on business travel abroad) the wife texts me stating that the minis cant get live TV (which means they cant talk to the Roamio) and the Roamio reports no Internet connection avail. She tries the standard reboot, with no luck. That is rebooting the Roamio and at least the Mini in the bedroom which she uses to watch her "Housewifes of wherever" but with no luck.
    So She is out of business with TV on the Mini's for 8+ days. I get back into town and start the troubleshooting effort.
    I try the forums, i try google, i chat with Tivo support (all they did was use the FAQs on their website, not very helpful). And just to be clear, i have been working with tech for over 20 years, i am pretty good at figuring things out, so not trying to poo poo tech support, but i dont have any patience for doing things i have already tried based on what is available on the Tivo website.

My thinking was that there was a SW update which caused the MoCA network settings to get messed up. I could not prove this in any way, but here is what i did to try and sort this out. I first removed the Tivo Bridge and connected a Ethernet cable from the Roamio to my router. This established a connection to the internet and the Roamio was able to "update". I reconnected the Roamio with MoCA connection, and no communication would occur. I then hooked back up the Ethernet connection, taking the bridge out again, and removing the Amp and other minis. So i had a splitter connected with the Internet connection + Roamio + a mini with the Roamio connected to router with ETH. The mini ran an update and connected to Roamio no problem. I then added a second Mini to the splitter and it connected and ran an update. All devices were updating to 20.7.4.RC18...

Once i got to this stage i was wondering if my Amplifier was the bad apple, so i hooked all devices back up as they were before this issue, and the other two Minis were able to connect and update. Here is the catch, i had to connect each mini remaining to be updated, one at a time because when they were both hooked up, the Roamio reported a network communication issue. It was almost as if there was an update that cause the mini's to be broadcasting a MoCA network, which was causing an issue.

I cant really explain it, other than i spent the better part of 6 hours fixing this issue today, and it really appears to be a SW issue that was pushed to the devices. I am a big supporter of Tivo (used be a DVR user for TimeWarner, and their stuff sucks compared to Tivo), but this was a huge waste of my time. And here is the kicker, remember i said i have had this working for 9+ months, well it happened earlier in the year, and if my memory serves right, i had it happen last year (2016) as well.

All i can say is Tivo, you need to really make sure what you push doesn't screw with our network comms! This was a huge time sink for me, and my wife has been bitching at me for 8+ days because her local tech support was on a business trip when this happened.

I hope others find this useful as i could not find anything online to help with this issue.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Absent details on your current amp, have you considered upgrading the amp to a "designed for MoCA" model?

e.g. PCT MoCA Bypass Amps

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  4. AlanF

AlanF New Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Sorry for the late response:

Powered Amp = Electroline EDA2900MMA

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  6. Amy0415

Amy0415 New Member

Apr 20, 2018

7. Amy0415

Amy0415 New Member

Apr 20, 2018
    We had a similar issue with a Roamio and 3 mini’s at about the same time at a lake house. Roamio is wired into Cat 5. Unfortunately after about 60 hours of troubleshooting with TiVo support we still cannot get the mini’s to work over MoCA.
    TiVo told me an update was not pushed to my mini’s that got everything out of sync.
    By using a long cat 5 cord I was able to push the update to all the mini’s individually but the Roamio still cannot find them on the MoCA.

8. Amy0415

Amy0415 New Member

Apr 20, 2018
    We had a similar issue with a Roamio and 3 mini’s at about the same time at a lake house. Roamio is wired into Cat 5. Unfortunately after about 60 hours of troubleshooting with TiVo support we still cannot get the mini’s to work over MoCA.
    TiVo told me initally update was not pushed to my mini’s that got everything out of sync.
    By using a long cat 5 cord I was able to push the update to all the mini’s individually but the Roamio still cannot find them on the MoCA when I move them back.
    At TiVo’s suggestion I upgraded our splitter which ended up being incompatible with Xfinity and had to be removed. TiVo sent me a new POE filter which did not change anything.

Any suggestions what to try next? I am about to try and install a mesh network and give up on MoCA.

Thanks!

9. tannebil

tannebil Member

Mar 9, 2006
    I'm not even using MoCA and my Bolt+ and Minis have freaked out a couple of times. In the end, the fix always involved rebooting the Bolt+ but I can't say if it was the reboot or the accompanying voodoo incantations and harsh words that actually resolved the problem.

I run MoCA but just not for my TiVo equipment. I did have one situation where the network configuration on the TiVo (it was a Roamio) got somehow reset to MoCA+Ethernet and created a network loop. That was fun to figure out.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    There are several people offering suggestions over on the thread you started on Friday, here:

MoCA network stopped working

(I’m always game to help out, but I’m loathe to invest much effort in a post if it seems like the OP isn’t up for it.)