Moca Network

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by jfj1153, Jun 29, 2018.

1. jfj1153

jfj1153 New Member

Apr 12, 2017

Advertisements

I drew this diagram from the information I received about creating a Moca network. I just wanted to know if anyone could tell me if this looks right. Any information you can give would be very helpful. Thanks in advance and thank you

Attached Files:

2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    As shown, you're potentially sending your antenna signal up your ISP's pipe which I imagine could cause interference or something.

1. The ISP connection can go straight to your modem, without the POE filter or 2-way splitter.

2. Then, connect the antenna w/ Amp and POE to a 2-way splitter, with the output legs going to the Bolt and Mini.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    tapokata likes this.
  3. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    In addition to what BigJimOutlaw said, the best place for the PoE filter that connects to the OTA feed is directly on the input of the 2-way splitter.

If you want to get tricky, you can use a diplexer instead of the 2-way splitter, with the coax from the Bolt connected to the IN/OUT port, the PoE+OTA connected to the VHF/UHF port, and the Mini connected to the SAT port. This increases the signal strength for both the OTA signals and the MoCA signals. and might make the antenna amplifier unnecessary.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It’s tough to authoritatively respond without knowing the locations of all the components shown, which components are co-located, and which coax and Ethernet runs are fixed and which are just in-room connections.

Is the antenna in the same room as the BOLT?

Can the BOLT be connected via Ethernet to the router? (This would be necessary to use the BOLT as the MoCA bridge, to create the MoCA network.)

Where are the pictured splitters located relative to each other and the devices to which they’d connect?

Re: @BigJimOutlaw’s entirely correct comment Re: mixing OTA and cable signals, see the following past post:

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

If the pictured connections are possible, @BigJimOutlaw’s diagram should work. (Noting that the “PoE” MoCA filter would be installed directly on the input of the splitter. edit: i.e. ditto @snerd’s 1st paragraph)

6. jfj1153

jfj1153 New Member

Apr 12, 2017
    You guys have been more helpful then the 3 calls that I made to Tivo tech support in the past 4 days (the diagram I posted was there recommendations).

1. I changed my diagram to reflect your recommendations (see updated diagram).
    2. The ISP, Bolt, modem and router are all located in the bedroom.
    3. Mini Vox is located in the living room.
    3. Any recommendations on which brand for the diplexer would you recommend.
    4. What Mhz should the diplexer rating have?
    5. The ethernet and coaxial cable can be relocated where I want them.
    6. Once again thank you so much. Your responses have been noted and greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    A Holland DPD2 would work.

Diagram looks good, but you’d want to label the diplexer ports to make clear what’s connecting where. (BOLT to IN/OUT, Mini to SAT, and antenna to VHF/UHF)

8. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    I'd suggest this 2-pack of diplexers in case you need another later. Amazon also sells the same diplexer as a single, but the net saving is only about a dollar. Note that the IN/OUT port going to the Bolt is alone on one side while the SAT and VHF/UHF ports are on the other side, so don't follow your diagram too closely when you hook it up.

tapokata likes this.
  9. jfj1153

jfj1153 New Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Thanks again for your input. I revised my diagram (see attached)
    The only reason in my previous diagram that I put a POE on the ISP and Antenna because I was told you had to have them in those locations but thanks to your recommendation I have corrected that. Also thanks for the recommendation on the Holland Diplexer.

Attached Files:

tapokata likes this.
  10. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Glad to help. Looks like you're all set!

11. jfj1153

jfj1153 New Member

Apr 12, 2017
    It's nice to see that there are people out there who are willing to help someone who they don't know and not to receive anything for it but knowing that they helped someone who needed it. My faith in humanity has been reinstated. KUDOS TO ALL OF YOU!!!!

Mikeguy and snerd like this.