MOCA network

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by evstok, May 16, 2015.

1. evstok

evstok Member

Jan 17, 2008

Advertisements

I have a Tivo Roamio hooked to my router via Ethernet. I have two Minis connecting to the Roamio via MOCA.

My question is: If I get a MOCA adapter and hook it up to my computer will the MOCA network created by the Roamio allow the computer to have internet access?

2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Yep. Moca adapters will connect anything that uses ethernet.

3. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Interesting. That would allow me to move my modem and router and moca adapter away from my computer. Good to know.

4. BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004
    Yeah you could even connect a cheap ethernet switch to the adapter and connect a whole entertainment center... Smart TV, Roku, game console, blu-ray player, wireless extender, etc.

The downside is that it's not as fast as ethernet. Most moca adapters cap off at 100 mbps. Fast enough for most uses though.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

Actiontec has a MoCA adapter with a four port GigE switch. I have one. So you can get faster than 100Mb/s from the MoCA connection. It works well enough but the GigE switch can't do speeds much faster than 500Mb/s to 600Mb/s. All my Dlink GigE switches have no problems getting 900+Mb/s speeds. Because of the slower speeds I couldn't replace a Dlink switch with the Actiontec. But it could still be useful to someone that doesn't need speeds as fast as I need. So I just use it to connect my four Minis to my GigE network.

ACTIONTEC Home Theater Coax Network Adapter (ECB3500T01)

6. husky55

husky55 Member

Feb 2, 2008
    Madison, CT
    All my devices are connected to the internet through wifi and specifically, repeater bridges. If I am to add a moca adapter to my router I assume that the moca will provide internet through ethernet to whatever is connected to it. That brings me to the Roamio Plus which has moca. Does that mean that the Roamio does not need an ethernet connection for internet? I am really an newbie with moca.

7. BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004
    If there is a moca adapter connected to the router to create the moca network, it will provide internet to moca-enabled devices over the home's coax. So correct, the Plus would not need an ethernet cable.

Additional moca adapters can be placed around the house to give non-moca devices internet access as well.

8. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    MoCA provides a way of using coaxial cables as a substitute for Ethernet cables within your local network. Some devices (like TiVo Mini) can act only as MoCA clients to get their LAN connection from coax. Other devices (like 6-tuner Roamios and 4-tuner Premieres and MoCA adapters) can also act as a MoCA "bridge" to connect the coaxial part of your LAN to the Ethernet part. You need one such bridge somewhere in your LAN.

None of this connects your LAN to the outside world. In fact you probably need to install a Point-of-Entry filter (POE) where your coaxial cable enters to keep your MoCA network from interfering with your neighbor's. For Internet access, you still need a cable modem or other type of Internet gateway to connect your LAN to the outside world.

9. solarium_rider

solarium_rider New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    Does bridging Ethernet to MOCA over the Tivo add much latency? is it more than a few ms?

Just curious what the latency difference is between the route:
    PC--(MOCA)-->TIVO--(ethernet)-->ROUTER
    and
    PC--(ethernet)-->ROUTER