MoCa network with TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Kirby D, Mar 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Kirby D

Kirby D New Member

Mar 15, 2018
    our Roamio doesn’t have built in MoCA capability. We purchase 2 adaptors from TiVo but are stymied on the install. We have a combination modem/router (netgear) and we can’t figure how to connect the MoCA adaptor because the instructions we see are only for separate router and modem devices. We are also struggling with the tuner supplied by our cable company (cox) which we understand we need a MoCA adaptor for too. The diagram we see in the instructions below doesn’t seem possible with the MoCA adaptor we have.

We bought the TiVo bridge adaptor. The instructions I am going off of are a few years old but haven’t been able to find anything newer. Setting up a MoCA Network for Tivo

We just moved to Cox from Fios where we did not have these challenges because of course the MoCA network was built in. Now wondering if we made a mistake. Any help would be appreciated.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It really shouldn't matter if its a combo router/modem or separate. The Moca adapter ethernet port goes to any available LAN port on the (moca-less) router/gateway.

3. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Search for posts by @krkaufman here, he’s the pro here on MoCA and can advise!

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    You don't really list what hardware you're trying to hook up, but if it's a Tuning Adapter, it doesn't need MoCA. In fact, it will 'break' MoCA, so put a splitter at the TiVo and Tuning Adapter so the MoCA can 'get around' the Tuning Adapter.

-KP

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    @Kirby D, you'll be fine, but the folks here *will* need some additional information to point you in the right direction.

I'd recommend starting with the model numbers for your Netgear combo modem/router (gateway) and "tuner" from Cox. (I'm thinking "tuning adapter," same as @kpeters59, but want to confirm.)

And are you just trying to get the Roamio networked, with the cable gateway in a different room? Do you also have other TiVo boxes (Minis) that you're looking to connect?

Are you still within the return window? How much did you pay per TiVo Bridge? (You might be interested in the new Motorola MM1000 adapters, as they offer double the bandwidth between like adapters -- though not relevant strictly for a 4-tuner Roamio's networking -- and also offer RF/STB Out ports, simplifying setup. Oh, and cost $20 less per adapter, retail.)

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The following post includes a number of links that may help provide additional insight:

7. Kirby D

Kirby D New Member

Mar 15, 2018
    Hi everyone. Here’s the additional info folks suggested I post. I’m so appreciative of the help as I thought my husband might break some of our electronics last night as he was trying to get this to work. He was just a bit frustrated.

We are using Netgear AC1750 WiFi Cable Modem Router.

What I believe is the tuning adaptor is a Cisco STA1520 supplied by Cox. Cox also gave us a standard DVR box which we are not using because we have TiVo (came with the bronze package and apparently you have to take the box whether you use or not!)

We have a 3 TV setup. The main TV is in the living room connected to the 4 tuner Roamio and the Netgear router is right nearby. In separate rooms we have 2 other TVs that have TiVo minis connected to Coax, (which worked fine until we disconnected Fios and lost our built-in MoCA network). We have DVRs connected to each of the 3 TVs and the upstairs TVs also has a Roku now in case any of that’s relevant. The living room TV also has an x-box 360.

We bought 2 TiVo bridges that were about $85 total. I don’t know why we got 2 but this was after my husband talked to TiVo by phone. I think customer service thought we’d need 2. They are still within return window so if there’s something better or easier to get we’d be open to that.

They also sent us a POE filter which we were going to try to figure how to connect this weekend in the daytime.

Finally I am not sure I understand this question above but I think the answer is no since our gateway (which I understand is the modem/router) is in the same place as our Roamio and can be connected direct to each other.

I hope this is enough info. Thanks again for your advice!

krkaufman likes this.
  8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Given the critical info that the 4-tuner Roamio can be networked via Ethernet to the router, your *TiVo* setup will only require a single (TiVo Bridge) MoCA adapter. TiVo Customer Support likely thought the Roamio wasn't near the router, and so would have required a dedicated MoCA adapter to provide it with its wired network connection.

Sidebar: So, you can return the spare/extra TiVo Bridge... or, if you have some other coax-connected location in the house that would benefit from a wired network connection (office PC, bedroom gaming console), you could use the second TiVo Bridge to make that happen.​

As for how you'd connect the main TiVo Bridge, it's fairly straightforward, provided you have the proper coax splitter(s). The Ethernet port of your main bridging MoCA adapter (TiVo Bridge, in your case) would connect via Ethernet to a LAN port on your router(gateway); and the MoCA adapter's coax port would need to be connected back to the coax wall outlet -- requiring an additional split of the coax line.

Slightly complicating the setup of the MoCA adapter and Roamio is the tuning adapter. Typically, it is recommended to NOT use the tuning adapter's RF/STB Out pass-through port for connecting to the DVR, and the TA's pass-through must NOT be used when trying to pass MoCA through to the DVR; however, the 4-tuner Roamio can't do anything with the MoCA signal and so the latter constraint doesn't apply. 'gist: You have a couple options on how to connect the tuning adapter and Roamio: either use a splitter and connect each device directly to the coax, or connect the DVR via the TA's pass-through port.

Additionally, you may find that you need a MoCA filter installed on the tuning adapter's coax "IN" port if you find the tuning adapter becomes unstable when the MoCA network is active. (more on this issue, >here<)

Note that this potential use of a MoCA filter as protection for the TA is distinct from the need to install a MoCA filter at the cable provider's Point-of-Entry to the home, the "PoE" MoCA filter. See >here< for more on the required "PoE" MoCA filter.

All that said, your setup could be similar to either of the following logical diagrams, making an assumption as to how the coax runs centrally connect, and having too many Minis and ignoring the comment re: DVRs at other TVs owing to the diagrams being borrowed.

Simple Cable-MoCA network w TA.png Simple Cable-MoCA network w TA alt.png

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Kirby D likes this.
  9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What other DVRs do you have besides the 4-tuner Roamio?

10. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    She said they have two minis. Three TVs total, Roamio and two minis.

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Right, which conflicts with the "we have DVRs connected to each of the 3 TVs" comment, so I was looking for clarification. (If "DVRs" just meant "the listed TiVo boxes" then, yeah, all good.)

Kirby D and kpeters59 like this.
  12. Kirby D

Kirby D New Member

Mar 15, 2018
    Sorry I meant DVD players not DVRs. Senior moment!

krkaufman likes this.
  13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Good deal. Hopefully the above should get you on track; post back if add'l info is needed... or to report success. (fingers crossed)

14. Kirby D

Kirby D New Member

Mar 15, 2018
    Hi! So we connected the POE filter outside and the Tivo Bridge inside between wall coax and the Netgear modem router as you advised. There was already a splitter sending a separate coax cable to the tuning adapter so we did not change that.

Good news is TiVo minis now work but unfortunately our Internet is offline. On front of Netgear cable modem the Internet light is off, the downstream light is blinking green and the upstream light is also off. All other lights are green. We have no idea why Internet is down. We did unplug the Netgear and same result. Also restarted our phones. The Tivo bridge has both lights on and green.

Any idea what might be wrong?

15. Kirby D

Kirby D New Member

Mar 15, 2018
    Forgot to mention that we do not know if the Internet connection went down after the POE filter was installed (which we did first) or if it was after the Bridge was installed (which we did right after). We didn’t think to check Internet between the two.

16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Do you have only the one "PoE" MoCA filter on-hand?

One possibility for the issue you're experiencing is that the Netgear gateway becomes unstable with MoCA signals present on the coax. A fix for such cases is to install a MoCA filter on the modem's/gateway's coax input, protecting the device from the MoCA signals.

If you only have the one MoCA filter, currently installed at your "PoE," I'd recommend temporarily moving this MoCA filter to the Netgear gateway's coax input port, at least to see if blocking MoCA signals from the gateway remedies the gateway going offline when MoCA is activated. (Hopefully your Minis will still be able to connect via MoCA to the TiVo Bridge with the "PoE" MoCA filter removed, absent its performance benefit.)

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Ah, well, determining that fits in with my just-posted recommendation.

Maybe try things in this order:

1) remove the MoCA filter from the "PoE" ... and then power cycle the gateway and see if it comes online (keeping the TiVo Bridge powered-down throughout).

2) If the gateway comes online with the "PoE" MoCA filter removed, give the TiVo Bridge another try.

3) If activating MoCA between the Minis and TiVo Bridge causes the gateway to go offline, try installing the MoCA filter on the gateway's input port, power cycle everything and try MoCA again.

edit: Overhauled post, attempting to make test cases more clear.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What do you mean by "between"? Did you use a splitter so both the modem and MoCA adapter would be connected to the coax? (Can you take and upload a pic?)

Do you know how to access the signal level diagnostics page for the Netgear gateway, to determine how strong the cable Internet signal is with and without the TiVo Bridge linked into the coax? And with and without the MoCA filter installed at the "PoE," as well.

19. Kirby D

Kirby D New Member

Mar 15, 2018
    We only have one POE filter. Assume we can get another locally at Best Buy if need be.

Just to clarify, we remove the POE filter from outside. We connect it to the Netgear Coax input port. Is this right? If so My question is how does that help. There is nothing currently coming into that Coax port on the Netgear. The MoCa Tivo bridge is running an Ethernet cable to the Netgear and not Coax. Isn’t the POE filter supposed to go between two Coax cables?

20. Kirby D

Kirby D New Member

Mar 15, 2018
    Hi. Just saw this. Husband has not put Coax into the Netgear. The only way Coax signal is getting to the Netgear at the moment is through the Netgear Ethernet connection port connected to Tivo Bridge. I am understanding this is incorrect and Coax also needs to run direct from the wall into Netgear.

If this is right we are going to try this. We will have to double up on splitters which I assume is not ideal long term so maybe we should buy a 1-3 splitter.

krkaufman likes this.