1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MoCA Network slower than I want

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by thenightfly42, May 11, 2018.

1. thenightfly42

thenightfly42 Señor Senior, Jr.

Mar 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    TL/DR: Bandwith drops from 150 to 80 MBps on other side of MoCA network, how do I improve it?

I have Xfinity, which had been providing me 100 MBps, and they just bounced me up to 150 MBps. I use the MoCA 1.1 network built into the Roamio Pro to move the signal up to my study, where I had been getting about 80 MBps. After the upgrade, I'm still getting 80 Mbps. (This is point B on the attached diagram). If I plug a laptop directly into the router (point A), I can get 180 MBps. I have power-cycled everything to no avail. I thought that MoCA 1.1 can reach 170 MBps, but that may be only in ideal conditions?

So something is slowing me down. Possibilities:
    1. The contractor-supplied splitter (Antronix CMC2003H-A) isn't good enough, and I should replace it with:
    2. The PoE filter that came with the Roamio Pro (LPF-1002 2M6/SGM) is out of date, and should be replaced with:
    3. The MoCA 1.1 network (Roamio Pro, Actiontec ECB2500C) should be turned off and replaced with MoCA 2.0 adapters, or:
    4. Something else is wrong that I haven't considered:
    5. That's life, I should learn to live with disappointment.
    I've tried reading other MoCA threads here, and my head is spinning. Could someone give me some advice?

Attached Files:

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I haven't yet read your whole post, but this was the data point I was looking for. The ECB2500C may be MoCA 1.1 (capable of up to 170 Mbps), but it is saddled with just a Fast Ethernet interface, throttling its effective throughput to a max of 100 Mbps ... though real world rates are typically 90 Mbps or less.

Background info posts to review:

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Replacing the ECB2500C with something like a Motorola MM1000 should bump your throughput nearer the 170 Mbps max (the MM1000 would be connecting with the Roamio Pro at MoCA 1.1, just like the ECB2500C, but the MM1000 has a Gigabit Ethernet port); however, you'd also need to switch to using another bonded/extended MoCA 2.0 adapter (e.g. MM1000, ECB6200) as your main MoCA bridge, in place of the Roamio Pro, to approach the maximum possible throughput, 800 Mbps.

4. thenightfly42

Mar 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Excellent, thank you so much for your advice!

krkaufman likes this.
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Finally, you may still want to take a look at the Roamio Pro's current MoCA stats (via the Network Status diagnostics screen), to gauge whether improvements in the MoCA connection quality are possible.

>See here< for how to access MoCA stats.

6. thenightfly42

Mar 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    TX PHY Rate: 253039195
    RX PHY Rate: 253039195
    TX power estimate: 0.00
    RX power estimate: -35.00

How do those look?

7. snerd

snerd Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Those numbers suggest that you could get about 160Mbps through the MoCA link.

8. thenightfly42

Mar 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    I just got 170 Mbps on the other side of my new MoCA link. Again thank you so much!! You are a huge asset on this board.

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    That good to hear. It would be interesting to see an “after” MoCA stats report.

Seems like the PHY rates have a bit of headroom, and the TX power estimate could be better. TX power can range from -30 (max reduction) to +3 (max boost) dBm. Right at 0, your gear is neither boosting or reducing the MoCA signal power; though I’d think your setup is simple enough that it would be able to reduce power a bit.

I’d make sure that the “PoE” MoCA filter is installed on the main splitter’s input (rather than in-line), and, if curious, try upgrading the splitter to a Holland GHS-PRO-M model. (Distances and coax cable and connection quality would be up for review after that.)

p.s. You’re hitting the max expected throughout, so the above suggestions aren’t critical.

10. thenightfly42

Mar 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    I don't know where to get MoCA stats, now that my TiVo is only receiving Ethernet data.

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Isn't the Roamio Pro still acting as your MoCA bridge? (If so, its Network Status diag screen should list the MoCA stats. See here.)

Or have you done something more than just swap-out the ECB2500C for a better MoCA adapter?

12. thenightfly42

Mar 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    I got 2 Motorola MM1000s, and turned MoCA off on the TiVo. I like that if the TiVo has a problem, or I need to reboot it, the wired network will still be active. Also, I think in-house transfers will be much faster?

13. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    To get the number (non-Hydra):
    Settings & Messages, Network Settings, Network Troubleshooting, Transfer History.

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Having only a semi-stable Roamio Pro, myself, I prefer to not use it as my MoCA bridge, either -- in addition to the speed improvement, as you suggest. You're correct that the effective throughput from the Roamio Pro to the computers should now be limited by the bonded MoCA 2.0 connection (with the Roamio Pro networked via its Gigabit Ethernet port), where the MoCA-bridging Pro would have been limited to its MoCA 1.1 throughput in communicating with the computers.

And, yeah, no MoCA stats to be gleaned from the DVR, now. (And I'm not sure whether the MM1000s have a configuration or status interface that would allow seeing similar information.)
    But with a pair of MM1000's now establishing the MoCA link, you've surely measured better than 170 Mbps over the MoCA segment; heck, with just those two devices as your only MoCA nodes, it's possible you could be seeing Turbo MoCA 2.0 rates, approaching full Gigabit speeds, 1000 Mbps.

You can use LAN Speed Test, iPerf or jPerf on a pair of computers, situated on each side of the MoCA segment, to test the MoCA segment's effective throughput.

But regardless of the MoCA segment's throughput, you may find the limitation is now just what the Roamio Pro allows. See @JoeKustra's post for checking file transfer rates to gauge the effective throughput to/from the DVR.

15. thenightfly42

Mar 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ah yes, the 170 Mbps was the internet speed. I haven't tried to measure the speed of the MoCA itself, so I'll just assume "way fast".

fcfc2, kpeters59 and krkaufman like this.