MoCA Network Signal Noise Help Needed

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Earby, May 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Earby

Earby New Member

May 25, 2020
    I am looking for some help with signal noise coming out of my MoCA network. Comcast has put several filters on my internet line because of ingress going back onto their network. I have my coax cable from the wall going into my ActionTec 6200 and then from the ActionTec into my modem. I also have the ethernet cable out of my ActionTec into my router. A comcast tech came out and told me that my moca network is to blame for the signal noise, so I purchased a POE filter from Tivo, and when the tech came back last Friday he measured the line signal with the POE in place where the coax goes into the splitter in my box outside, and said the noise is still there. In the meantime my internet keeps going out and I have been told the only way to fix this is to get rid of the MoCA network. I have a Bolt VOX, Premiere 4 and a Mini and have been a loyal Tivo user for over 15 years so I would hate to have to go to the dark side. Any suggestions?

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Comcast uses MoCA all the time. It's not the cause.

The cause is most likely a damaged line in the ground.

Why hasn't he replaced that already?

-KP

3. Earby

Earby New Member

May 25, 2020
    kpeters thanks for responding. When the tech tested the line after bypassing my moca network, the line is clean so it does appear that this moca network is the cause. I know that comcast uses MoCA as well, but perhaps there is something different about the two MoCAs

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    MoCA's, MoCA...that's kind of the thing.

I connect TiVo MoCA to Comcast MoCA all the time. They're the same.

The MoCA POE Filter should be blocking all outgoing MoCA. That's what it does.

There has been reports of DOCSIS 3.1 interfering with the MoCA Lower Channel. Maybe that's what they're talking about?

If you're not using MoCA built in to the router, putting a MoCA POE Filter on the router input can cure that issue.

-KP

5. Earby

Earby New Member

May 25, 2020
    Thanks KP. Had Comcast out again and a different tech said that there was no problem this time and removed all the filters. Appreciate your help and get to keep the Tivos and my MoCA

kpeters59 likes this.