Moca Network Setup with TIVO Roamio and 4 Mini's

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Slice235, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Slice235

Slice235 New Member

Jan 5, 2008

Advertisements

Have reviewed this topic but find many of the threads confusing. I am building a new home with a smart box where the main Cox feed terminates. Home run coax cables running to the main Roamio TV location and home run coax running to 4 TIVO mini's in various locations. Understand I need a Moca Adapter but need a schematic or detailed description of how this needs to be connected and any additional equipment I might need. My current setup is with ethernet cable which is straightforward but need some guidance for a coax system. If you could lead me to the right thread with clear details that would be great. Once I have it I'm sure it will be straightforward.
    Thank you in advance

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Several links with background info on MoCA can be found >here<, starting with @BigJimOutlaw's helpful overview.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What model Roamio do you have? A 4-tuner base model or a 6-tuner Roamio Plus or Pro?

Sounds like you'll have coax to each TiVo location, but where will the cable modem & router be located? What model modem and router are you planning to use?

Will you also have Ethernet connections in the house, or would you want to extend the MoCA network beyond just TiVo gear?

You might start by creating an outline listing your rooms/locations and the equipment that will be in each. (e.g.) Once organized, the outline can be converted to a diagram, however rough, to assist in planning.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The following is an example setup, not necessarily applicable to your situation, owing to the open questions.

costgeek catvbb MoCA - conventional.png

Key aspects:
    • MoCA filter on cable modem owing to modem's sensitivity to MoCA signals
    • BOLT, modem and router are co-located, allowing the MoCA-capable BOLT to function as MoCA bridge; otherwise, a standalone MoCA adapter at the modem/router location would act as the bridge
    • Tuning Adapter & BOLT connected via splitter owing to TA pass-through port hindering MoCA signals
    • MoCA filter on tuning adapter owing to TA's sensitivity to MoCA signals
    • initial 2-way splitter to deliver best possible cable signal to main room with DVR & modem
    • "PoE" MoCA filter installed on input of main, initial splitter to secure & strengthen MoCA signals
    • secondary splitter in junction box sized to service runs to Minis

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018