MoCA network question.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by branko, Mar 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. branko

branko New Member

Mar 4, 2019
    I'm new to MoCA network idea, still trying to wrap my head around it what exactly do i need and I apologize if this was answered before.

I currently have Tivo BOLT. with MoCA capability, connected to internet via WiFi.
    I'd like to add a new mini Tivo and it would be a hustle to get an Ethernet cable to both BOLT and Mini.

-May i create MoCA network using the ActionTec ECB6200 Bonded MoCA 2.0 bonded network adapter at the router and then use the same network to connect a PC to internet as well as BOLT and Mini?
    -I understand that the PC will need another network adapter, true?
    -Would that create another MoCA network, competing with TiVo?

Much appreciated!

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, that’s MoCA’s purpose, and that’s what you’d likely need to do if the modem/router location is the only location with Ethernet connectivity. Though, unless you already own the ECB6200, the Motorola MM1000 could save you some money providing equivalent capabilities.

Yes, that would be the best plan of action, assuming the PC isn’t located with the BOLT (and maybe even if it is).

You can also pair the MoCA adapter at the PC with a GigE network switch if you have other Ethernet-capable devices co-located with the PC that you would like networked. Similarly, a MoCA-client BOLT can be leveraged to extend wired connectivity to co-located Ethernet devices, per this post: Extending wired connectivity at a MoCA-client TiVo DVR.

No, the PC’s MoCA adapter would be just another node on the MoCA network.

Among other things, such as reviewing coax connectivity between locations and noting the connecting components, you’ll want to get a “PoE” MoCA filter installed. (more info on the “PoE” MoCA filter >here<)

3. branko

branko New Member

Mar 4, 2019
    Thank you! That helps a lot!
    After connecting the MoCA adapter creating the network and the router with Ethernet cable- does it matter where i connect that MoCA adapter to the coax cable?
    Can i connect it to a coax that leads to Tivo or does it has to be the one that goes to Modem/Router?
    Just curious.
    Thank you again!

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, how the MoCA adapter is connected to the coax matters, but exactly how it could be done for your setup would depend on available coax runs.

In the case of adapters that include a RF pass-through port, such as the ECB6200 or MM1000, the simplest setup is to connect the modem via the MoCA adapter’s pass-through port.

p.s. See this post for add’l info on MoCA.

branko likes this.
  5. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I just want to clarify a point or two for you, since your original post does not make it clear what your current LAN configuration is.

First, you do not need to run just MoCA or just wired Ethernet - any combination of devices can be mixed on your LAN.

If you can get wired Ethernet to just one of your Bolts, then you don't need to buy anything else beyond a POE filter. In this case, the Bolt with access to wired Ethernet is set up as a MoCA bridge, and all other devices can be either a MoCA client or just normal Ethernet connections.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    ... noting that the BOLT is just standard MoCA 2.0, so would limit throughput to the PC to 400 Mbps max, rather than the 800 Mbps max possible between two bonded MoCA 2.0 adapters. A stand-alone adapter also requires less rebooting than a TiVo DVR.

7. branko

branko New Member

Mar 4, 2019
    Got it. I don't have LAN wiring, it would be difficult to install, so MoCA adapters might be the best for me.Thanks both!