MoCa Network only recognizes 1 Tivo Bolt unit

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Umpsam758, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Umpsam758

Umpsam758 New Member

Sep 27, 2019
    i have 2 Tivo Bolt boxes and am using a TiVo Bridge all on a MoCa network. The bridge is located in room with cable modem and router. 1 bolt box in family room and the other in bedroom. I also have a POE filter at the cable entry point to the house. I am using Spectrum as both my cable & internet provider. I am also required to use a tuning adapter.

So all of a sudden the network connection failed. Tried to reconnect and only ONE bolt box will connect to the network. I can connect the bedroom unit or the family room unit using MoCa network but cannot connect both.

I have tried all the normal stuff rebooting the modem, router, TiVo bridge, TiVo bolt boxes all to no avail. Support has not been able to help. Support said very unusual but yet to offer a solution. I am very frustrated as this was all working at one time

Any ideas?

2. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Are the box names still unique? Have you verified that both Bolts are getting unique IP addresses? Are both Bolts configured as MoCA CLIENT only and not a bridge?

3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    How is this wired in?

If your passing the Bolt RF Signal through the TA, you're (more than) likely stripping the MoCA off the top...

It's recommended that the TA and TiVO's are wired with a splitter.

A System Diagram would probably help us help you quite a bit.

-KP

4. Umpsam758

Umpsam758 New Member

Sep 27, 2019
    Both box names are unique.
    Both boxes are connecting as clients
    I am not assigning an IP address, they are being assigned as part of the connection

5. Umpsam758

Umpsam758 New Member

Sep 27, 2019
    I have actually had it set up both ways on the bedroom TiVo Bolt and found no difference

6. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Could you please provide the IP Adress' of the major players? The router, both TiVo's and anything else that might be involved?

Can everything get to the Internet? Updates, YouTube and whatnot?

-KP

7. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    The question was: "Have you VERIFIED that both boxes are getting a unique IP address?"

8. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    And verify these devices are wired correctly?

-KP

9. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    When using MoCA with a TA, the only recommended treatment is to connect via a splitter. Further, an additional MoCA filter is recommended on the leg of the 2 way feeding the TA.
    With any network issues, I always recommend that you reserve IP's on the router in use for all Tivos, if nothing else it seems to prevent some network problems.
    PS. Please check your router and insure that both bolts are getting a different IP.

krkaufman likes this.
  10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The splitter for separately connecting the TA and MoCA-enabled DVR isn’t optional, unless you view network connectivity as optional. You may not have noticed a difference but that doesn’t mean there isn’t (I expect that you didn’t compare MoCA statistics between the two configs), and you seem to definitely be having MoCA connectivity issues now.

You do need to get both DVR/TA pairs connected via MoCA-compatible splitters (e.g. Holland GHS-2PRO-M). Additional troubleshooting can be done once this required change has been made.

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    p.s. if either BOLT can currently connect via MoCA, you can check its MoCA stats via its Network Status dialog screens. (Use the Channel Up/Down buttons to scroll, as needed.)

12. Umpsam758

Umpsam758 New Member

Sep 27, 2019
    What am I looking for in the stats?

13. Umpsam758

Umpsam758 New Member

Sep 27, 2019

Ok ordered new POE filters to put ar each of the tuning adapter connections also upgrading splitters to MoCa approved.
    Amazon says they will be here tomorrow so will report back after those changes

krkaufman likes this.
  14. Umpsam758

Umpsam758 New Member

Sep 27, 2019

Yes I have 2 different IP adreeses one for each bolt box

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    # of nodes
    MoCA version
    channel
    MAC addresses (confirm as your boxes)
    ... then ...
    PHY rates and (TX) power estimates for the nodes

PHY rate should be 600+ Mbps for MoCA 2.0, and TX power estimate ideally closer to -30 dBm than +3 (the max MoCA power boost). Typically, a borderline setup will report TX power estimate at or near +3 dBm.

16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You can try it with sub-optimal 2-way splitters (rated to 1+ GHz) while waiting for the new ones. They couldn’t be worse than the TA pass-through.

fcfc2 likes this.
  17. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    What are the IP Address' of the TiVo's? And the Router?

-KP

18. Umpsam758

Umpsam758 New Member

Sep 27, 2019
    Received new splinters and POE filters. They have been installed and both units are connected to the MoCa network
    Will be trying to connect a tivo stream box next week but have no reason to believe it will not work

krkaufman likes this.
  19. Umpsam758

Umpsam758 New Member

Sep 27, 2019
    Success!!!

Received new splinters and POE filters. They have been installed and both units are connected to the MoCa network
    Will be trying to connect a tivo stream box next week but have no reason to believe it will not work

Thanks for all the help

krkaufman, kpeters59 and fcfc2 like this.
  20. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Good to hear!

Were you able to get a before/after snapshot of your MoCA stats?