Moca/mini with uverse DSL?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Redbrick1, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Redbrick1

Redbrick1 New Member

Mar 20, 2016

Advertisements

I am looking to set up my TiVo bolt to work with minis over my pre-existing coax network. Essentially, I am looking to replace my existing uverse boxes with minis. The existing Pace modem/router will remain. I have attached a diagram detailing what my current set up is. I hope to just replace the uverse boxes currently on the coax network, will this work?

Also, I should put a POE filter between the OTA antenna and the bolt?
    Sorry for basic question, I did try to search, but couldn't find a similar situation.

Attached Files:

2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Hybrid setups can be a bit tricky. For moca to work, the Bolt needs to be able to find the Minis over the coax, which it can't do if the antenna feeds directly into the Bolt.

Ideally the Bolt and Minis would connect to a common OTA splitter, and your uverse coax would be its own separate/isolated connection. The POE filter would connect to the input side of that OTA splitter.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  3. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    So you're going totally OTA for TV?

4. Redbrick1

Redbrick1 New Member

Mar 20, 2016

Yes, I want to keep only uuverse internet with OTA for my tv.

Perhaps I will have to run a separate coax between my rooms to make this work, which is something I wanted to avoid.
    Reading more about my existing modem/router I thought it has Moca built in, and uverse cable uses this to the secondary boxes. But upon further reading it uses homePNA, I think.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

Advertisements

I don't think a POE filter would be necessary at all in an OTA setup.

6. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    If MoCA and OTA signals share the same coax, a PoE filter is necessary to prevent your MoCA signals from spewing out the OTA antenna to the surrounding neighborhood. The FCC frowns on that.

7. Redbrick1

Redbrick1 New Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Many thanks, what you described works nicely.