1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moca link status down

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Beh162, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Beh162

Beh162 Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Trying to setup my moca network and I have my bolt connected to Ethernet and coax.

Everything looks good as bolt in bridge but for some reason no Moca. In network status moca details come up as down

I have a POE filter installed
    My 2 moca splitters are 5-1675
    My modem is moca enabled TM1602

Am I missing something?

2. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Maybe I'm missing something. If your Bolt is connected to your router via ethernet ("my bolt connected to Ethernet and coax"), you don't need MOCA. Do you have some other TiVo boxes that you didn't mention that need MOCA for connectivity? If you do have other boxes and the Bolt is connected to your router, then the Bolt would be used to create the MOCA net. If your modem is also trying to do this, then that is probably the problem.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The MoCA status on the BOLT will report as down until your first MoCA client successfully connects.

---

p.s. The TM1602 is only a (telephony) modem, not a gateway, and it's not so much "MoCA enabled" as MoCA ready, having a built-in MoCA immunity filter (the equivalent of installing a MoCA filter on the coax port).

https://www.arris.com/globalassets/resources/data-sheets/tm1602_datasheet-v2.pdf

4. Beh162

Beh162 Member

Nov 6, 2015
    I had tried to connect my mini to the moca network and I was getting the error c33.

What’s the suggestion as a fix? Is there something my modem needs?

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Step 1 is just connecting the BOLT via Ethernet to your router and ensuring it is updated, initialized and working properly. Once you're good with the Ethernet connection you can enable the MoCA bridge functionality on the BOLT, step 2.

But when configuring the BOLT MoCA bridge you shouldn't see any messages; you should just note that the connection status in the Network Settings dialog should now "MoCA + Ethernet" instead of just "Ethernet."

I'm not sure what the current status is, but there was recently a bug with the MoCA bridge setup that resulted in an erroneous C33 error message when initializing the bridge. The C33 error message can be ignored when initializing the MoCA bridge.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    To give you some confidence on how things *should* work, I'd suggest temporarily relocating the Mini to the BOLT location and either use a 2-way splitter to link the Mini into the BOLT's coax feed (with each device connected to an output) or direct connect the Mini to the BOLT's coax port using a short coax cable (with this latter approach resulting in the loss of TV tuning during the duration of the test). Once you have either test configuration set up, configure the Mini as a MoCA client.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Do you have a post somewhere describing your coax and network setup (rooms, connections, devices, etc.)? The suggested test in the previous post will verify that the BOLT is properly configured as the MoCA bridge and that the Mini can connect to it as a client; if the Mini fails to connect to the BOLT when placed at its permanent location then the assumption is that there's something about the coax plant between the two locations blocking the connection. This is where the description and/or a diagram is useful in troubleshooting.

8. Beh162

Beh162 Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Ethernet was tested and good before the start of MoCA. No errors on the bolt during bridge. Only received the errors on the Mini.
    Was talking to Tivo Chat and they suggested removing the POE filter and also contacted ISP to enable MoCA on my modem. I was going to first try the latter part.

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Ok, found your recent thread describing your setup, here: Moca or Ethernet for Bolt & 5 Mini's

You'd described a 2-way splitter feeding two other 4-way splitters, but what's your current setup as you try to get this working, and have you installed the necessary "PoE" MoCA filter (if so, where) or replaced any splitters?

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Your modem is a TM1602 so just a modem, right, requiring a separate router? There shouldn't be any MoCA to enable in the modem, nor in the router, depending on the router model number.

Do the direct BOLT-to-Mini test first, to prove the BOLT's MoCA bridge setup.

11. Beh162

Beh162 Member

Nov 6, 2015
    I use an Apple Airport Extreme as a router.

Okay I'm going to try the bolt to mini test first - I'm a little confused on what I need to do.
    I take the Coax going into the Bolt and add a splitter to it, one end going into the bolt one end going into the mini. Then try to connect? Is that correct?

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Ok, thanks. (You definitely wouldn't be able to find any MoCA settings in either your modem or router; you'll need to use your BOLT as your MoCA bridge.)

Yes, that configuration should work -- assuming the outputs of the 2-way connect to the BOLT and Mini. (Basically just sneaking the Mini into the BOLT's coax connection, removing the rest of your coax plant from the equation, temporarily.)

Once you have the connections in place, try configuring the Mini as a MoCA client.

p.s. Of course, you'll also need a video connection for the Mini, in order to configure it.

13. Beh162

Beh162 Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Wanted to report when I directly connected mini to bolt I had a successful connection as client.

So that means somewhere in my wiring there is something messing it up?

14. Beh162

Beh162 Member

Nov 6, 2015
    I placed a POE filter outside my house just before the first 2 way splitter that goes into my house . I replaced the two 4 way splitters with Holland 5-1675mhz splitters. I also replaced the 2 way with a Verizon 5-1675mhz

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yep.

If you installed the "PoE" MoCA filter on the outdoor 2-way splitter's input, you *should* be able to establish the MoCA network, assuming the coax outlets connect to the coax plant.

How many rooms are you looking to actually connect, and to what device in each room? Do you use a SDV tuning adapter at the BOLT?

Just a guess...

Splitter A:
    • Modem (w/ Apple Airport Extreme) and BOLT
    • Mini
    • Mini
    • Mini
    Splitter B:
    • Mini
    • Mini
    • ???
    • [Terminator]
    You might try connecting the Mini in a room that connects via the same 4-way splitter as the BOLT.

16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The BOLT is connected via Ethernet to your router, so are the BOLT and modem/router in the same room. If so, how is the coax getting from the wall outlet to both the modem and BOLT?

17. Beh162

Beh162 Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Bolt in one room, Mini in the other 5 rooms.
    So please excuse this very quick drawer but originally I tried to connect Bolt in Room #5 to Mini in Room #6 and they are two different splitters. I will have to try a mini in room #3 to see if that's indeed the problem.
    The yellow is the ethernet cable run to two different rooms. Which is how I'm getting ethernet to Bolt in #5
    [​IMG]

krkaufman likes this.
  18. Rugged Ron

Rugged Ron Member

Jul 5, 2011
    You didn't mention a Tuning Adapter, but if you have one, make sure it isn't in series with the CATV going into the Bolt. It will block the MOCA signal going out to the minis.

19. Beh162

Beh162 Member

Nov 6, 2015
    No tuning adapter

20. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    My best guess is that you may get mini 3 to connect via MoCA, but right now, your MoCA signal starts at one 4 way near the modem/router travels back up to the 2 way at the demark and then back down to your second 4 way and then gets distributed to your targets in 1,2,6, and 7. Hoping your coax splitters are accessible to each other, I would try replacing that initial 2 way with a 3GHz barrel connector going to your first 4 way by the modem, then put the MoCA filter on the input of that first 4 way by your modem. Then run a new coax connection from the open port on the 1st 4 way to the input of the 2nd 4 way and try and see if you can get your MoCA connections working that way.
    If you can do this routing, you should save several dB's that your MoCA signals will not have to traverse and just may get you up and working.