MOCA Issues with Fios

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by psutrain, Nov 20, 2020.

1. psutrain

psutrain New Member

Jan 4, 2018

Advertisements

I have a Tivo Bolt that is creating its Moca for my two Minis The setup is My Bolt is connected to Fios Gateway router. The minis connect via Coax to Moca network. Everything has been working fine. I recently purchased a Actiontec Network extender via moca. I have a splitter that has a moca filter prior to the mini that has one cable going to mini and the other to extender. The extender I was gong to use for my son's xbox to have a stable connection. Once I plug in the extender, the minis disconnect from the moca setup and can't see the bolt. Once I take the extender off of the network, the minis can reconnect and all is fine. Does anyone know the issues. I seem to think that there could be dual Moca networks, One from the router and the other from the bolt which throws the minis off of the network. Does anyone have any ideas what the issue could be? My other option is run a long cat 6 cable and have a switch but was looking to just see if I could get this to work before I start drilling to run a new cable.

2. Dago Red

Dago Red Active Member TCF Club

Oct 22, 2002
    Parsippany, NJ
    I'm not 100% sure of your setup, but the FiOS Gateway Router should be providing the MOCA network, and not your Bolt. This may be what's causing your problem.
    Try setting up your devices using only the FiOS MOCA network and see if that works.
    Here is some info...Guides|How To|Get Connected| How to connect to your home network

krkaufman likes this.
  3. psutrain

psutrain New Member

Jan 4, 2018
    What should the tivo bolt network settings be then? just ethernet?

4. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    Moca. Just Moca, and not Moca + Ethernet (Bridge)

5. psutrain

psutrain New Member

Jan 4, 2018

Advertisements

Thanks! I'll try that

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    This is your problem. the MoCa filter is blocking the signals.

krkaufman likes this.
  7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Concur w/ sentiment that the FiOS Gateway should be allowed to function as your MoCA/Ethernet bridge, assuming your gateway has the capability. What model is your FiOS Gateway? MI424-WR, G1100, NVG468MQ, G3100, other ???

It depends on what you want to use. If the BOLT can be connected via Ethernet to the router, then just Ethernet is fine ... and disable MoCA on the BOLT. If you'd prefer to keep all the TiVo-to-TiVo traffic isolated to your coax lines, then disconnect the Ethernet cable from the BOLT and configure the BOLT as a MoCA client only.

@ThAbtO is correct that this is NOT the place for a MoCA filter, as a MoCA filter blocks MoCA signals from passing. So I'm hoping that your issues w/ the extender are happening because you're also adding/removing the splitter (and this filter) whenever you're adding/removing the extender from the setup.

Try the splitter w/o the MoCA filter and see how things work.

p.s. What is the model # of your network extender? Have you reset the extender to factory defaults? Are you using any custom MoCA settings (channel, privacy)?