MoCA issue with Premier XL4 and Mini

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by vadimfrey, Oct 30, 2017.

1. vadimfrey

vadimfrey New Member

Oct 30, 2017

Advertisements

Hi, I am trying to setup Moca connection between my TiVo Premier XL4 and TiVo Mini over coax. I have a FiOS GB ethernet plan with G1100 Quantum router. Here is the setup:
    ONT ---> 2-way splitter (Moca 2.0)----> LEG 1: 4-way splitter (Moca 2.0) ----> G1100 Quantum (coax)

4-way splitter from above ----> TiVO Premier XL4 (Coax)

ONT ---> G1100 Quantum(WLAN) via Cat5e

Also second leg of 2-way splitter above LEG2: ----> 4 -way splitter (Moca 2.0) -----Tivo Mini (Coax)

Neither of TiVo boxes is able to connect to internet via coax Moca connection. When both boxes are connected to LAN of G1100 they work fine and connect to internet and to each other but this would require me to run a new ethernet cable (>100ft), which is something I want to avoid since I have coax outlet where I need and I know it works for others. My understanding is that G1100 router controls MoCA network automatically and I just need to connect Tivo boxes to coax outlets and choose option to use Moca instead of Ethernet within TiVo menu. I tried doing that and get message that there is no internet connectivity when connected to coax. When tech installed FiOS he tested coax outlets to make sure they had good signal so I know outlets are properly wired. Any suggestions?

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The first, simplest test to try is connecting either the Mini or XL4 directly via a short coax cable to the G1100's coax port. Since the G1100 is WAN-connected via Ethernet, and assuming its MoCA LAN is enabled, you should be able to establish a MoCA connection for the Mini, and the Mini should be able to connect to the TiVo service via the Internet. (The Mini won't be able to do much else without a connected host DVR.)

3. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    It is a little hard to follow your description. Are you saying that one leg of the first 2way feeds the G1100 and the second leg feeds the input of the 4way to which is connected your XL4 and the mini?
    If that is the case, you normally would not have any trouble connecting via MoCA provided by the G1100 which is enabled by default. Double check that there is no encryption set on the G1100 MoCA settings or you Tivos.
    Are there any amplifiers on your system?

4. vadimfrey

vadimfrey New Member

Oct 30, 2017
    No, I was trying to explain that I have ONT connected to 2-way splitter, which is feeding two 4-way splitters (all Moca 2.0) via two legs. Then one of those 4-way splitters feeds G1100 along with direct Cat5e from ONT.
    The second 4-way splitter feeds Mini (much longer cable run). No encryption set on Tivos but I think the real problem here is probably is that I don't know how to setup Moca on G1100 or to check if its enabled. Is there good resource that walks through this process?

5. vadimfrey

vadimfrey New Member

Oct 30, 2017

Advertisements

Yes, XL4 is currently connected via short coax and I did try to establish MoCA connection on both XL4 or Mini and they both report they cannot obtain IP from DHCP, thus no internet connection. Which brings me to the point: how do I enable (or check if its enabled) Moca LAN bridge on my G1100 router?

6. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Your router requires one coax port, your Tivos 2 more, are you actually using the other 5 coax ports? If you don't know how to log into your router look here, How to Login to the Verizon FiOS-G1100
    then try looking around in here, but if any or all of that is too difficult for you, a simple hard reset should bring you back to the default settings which enclude enabling MoCA LAN, just look at the edge of the router and up towards where the 2 USB ports are you will see a small opening sb "red", use a paperclip or toothpick and while powered on, hold that reset button in for at least 10 seconds and then release, in about 2 minutes or so your lights should stop flashing and the internet symbol on the reverse/front edge should go white.
    Verizon FiOS-G1100 Screenshot NetworkConnectionsCoaxProperties

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm not sure you have the suggested test setup down. The Mini (or XL4) should be connected directly via a single coax cable to the coax port of the G1100, not via the house's coax plant.

Once you have this direct connection made, then try configuring the Mini for a MoCA client connection.

If the direct MoCA test doesn't work, MoCA being disabled on the G1100 is the most likely cause. As for enabling MoCA LAN on the G1100, I'll leave that to the FiOS expert.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Would a factory reset of the G1100 also revert the WAN connection to coax/MoCA, or would the gateway automatically recognize and prefer the Ethernet WAN connection?

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    G1100 User Guide

p.s. Seems like Section 5 is what you want to review, and especially the "BRIDGE" settings page for the "Network (Home/Office)" network. (pgs 71-72 of 208)

Make sure that the 'Coax' network interface is included in the "Network (Home/Office)" network's bridge setup.

10. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    It will detect whichever you are using. The WAN coax vs WAN Ethernet is determined by how the ONT is configured, not by the router, it will use whichever is active. But only one can be enabled at a time.
    EDIT: The hard reset will return all settings to the default, MoCA LAN is a default, no encryption, all the wireless settings will return to the same as on the label on the side of the unit, including the router login if the admin pw was changed. If you have some elaborate settings, there is a way to save the config file which can be restored later and will have any customizations you may have made.

krkaufman likes this.
  11. vadimfrey

vadimfrey New Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Thanks guys for your responses. I did not get a chance to reset the router or to try connecting my XL4 directly to coax port of G1100 router to test if MoCA is enabled. What I did accomplish though, I logged into the router and under My Network--> Network Connection and checked the status of Coax connection (Hardware MoCA) I saw it was enabled but it says Cable Disconnected. Obviously I checked and the coax cable is connected into the back of the router which then should connect it to the rest of the home coax outlets. Will continue troubleshooting and will keep you posted.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You likely won't see "Connected" until the first MoCA client is able to make a connection to the G1100; this is the same as standalone MoCA adapters used as bridges, in that the MoCA/coax status LED doesn't light-up until at least one MoCA client connection is established.

Connecting either the XL4 or Mini directly to the coax port of the G1100, and configuring a MoCA client connection, should change the status to "Connected," since it appears that the MoCA/coax interface is bridged to the "Network (Home/Office)" network. (assuming that's what you reviewed)

13. vadimfrey

vadimfrey New Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Ok thanks. So that I know I tested this correctly for sure, what are the exact steps I need to do to connect it to MoCA from XL4 menus? I recall I was selecting Connect via MoCA and then at the end it would try to get IP from DHCP automatically and would fail. Maybe I am missing a step somewhere? For Mini, there was slightly different set of menus but no connection was being made (for example Internet Test would fail and Tivo Service connection was not successful).

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Step 1: Verify MoCA LAN is enabled on the G1100. (Supposedly checked.)

Step 2: Make a direct physical coax connection between just the Mini or XL4 and the G1100, temporarily eliminating your home coax plant from the equation.

Step 3: Ensure no Ethernet connection. The XL4 or Mini must not be connected via Ethernet to the G1100 when configured as a MoCA client.

Step 4: Configure the XL4 or Mini as a MoCA client of the G1100, via the Network Settings page. The exact option will depend on the software version of the device, but it should be one of the following:

MoCA> Set up as Client
    Connect using MoCA​

15. vadimfrey

vadimfrey New Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I got it all resolved!

I went through your test setup you suggested above and my XL4 connected via MoCA without a hitch when connected directly with single wire. Immediately I got Coax LAN green light on the back on my G1100 and status of Coax connection for my Network Home/Office went to Connected on router web interface. I did exact same steps on TiVO menu earlier it just would not connect (??)

Then I reconnected XL4 via coax house plant and connected G1100 to coax house plant. Connection remained.
    At this point I almost knew the Mini coax MoCA connection has to work and sure enough it did!

My only guess is my router was stuck and just would not activate MoCA bridge until I did direct connection.

Thanks both of you for helping me to resolve the issue! I really appreciate your help!

fcfc2 and krkaufman like this.
  16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Good to hear it's working: happy to have been of help-ish.

One thing to do now that MoCA is working is check (and note) your MoCA stats on your TiVos. You can check the stats via the Network Status dialog; see here.