MoCA hook up question

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MoCAstuck, Dec 26, 2016.

1. MoCAstuck

MoCAstuck New Member

Dec 26, 2016

Advertisements

I hope someone out there can help in setting up my MoCA network.

I first put in my filter from Tivo at the POE on my cable into my house so step 1 is complete. I currently have WOW for my provider. I then bought a sbg6782-ac Arris modem/router that is MoCA network ready. i removed the MoCA password to try to make it quicker to set.

I bought a tivo blot and have it hooked up as a normal DVR. I also have 2 Tivo Premier series 4 DVR's.

On the bolt. If I try to st up the MoCA with it hooked up normal (CoAxial) connection in back only. I picked to set up as Client no encryption. It says it is connected up and goes to get IP with DHCP automatically (typical) and returns C12 error. I turned off the firewall on the modem/network and still C12 error and i get C7

Then I tried to set up still only with Coaxial connection Bridge and use a Tivo Bridge - (i bought 3). o again now it is hooked up with a Coaxial and the network cableto the back of the bolt. It connects it says and needs IP address. With the automatic DHCP it returns a C7 error.

I dont know what else to do. My wireless with the new modem works great - I have the Tivo still set up for wireless until I can get MoCa working. I assume that the Premiers need a network set up before playing with them. I have bridges for them as well. I have the splitters and coaxial all set up in each area. I have followed everything I am seeing on the posts but have yet to understand what to do. I have powered down the bridges, Tivo, and Modem/network and doing that over and over is not changing the errors I keep getting.

Any help would be appreciated

2. GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    Assuming you have enabled MoCa on your Surfboard Router, what is the Link State displaying?

3. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    Just a guess, but I suspect something went south when you were messing with the MoCA encryption. I would try resetting the Arris gateway and starting again from the beginning.
    EDIT: I also suggest setting the MoCA channel to D-1 1100MHz.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  4. MoCAstuck

MoCAstuck New Member

Dec 26, 2016
    upload_2016-12-26_18-48-27.png

5. MoCAstuck

MoCAstuck New Member

Dec 26, 2016

Advertisements

What do you mean by resetting the gateway. More than just pulling power and resetting?

6. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    krkaufman likes this.
  7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Can you check and report what splitter models exist at your central distribution point from which the coax runs to your rooms emanate? Just want to make sure they're MoCA-compatible, and especially want to check if you have an amplifier.

edit: Also, be sure to mention *any* components you find. Another poster recently found a MoCA filter installed between 2 splitters in their junction box, rather than on the input to their first splitter (see it). This location for the MoCA filter was fine for the previous provider-supplied whole home DVR solution, but was blocking the signal for the new MoCA network they were trying to setup.

From the screencap you later posted it appears you've disabled MoCA "Privacy" on the gateway, which is definitely OK, and even recommended since you say you've installed a MoCA filter at your PoE. (I initially read your comment as your possibly having just created a zero-length password, if even possible, which might cause all sorts of problems.)

The Premieres *will* need Internet access, yes, to get set up and running. Are your Premiere DVRs of the 2-tuner or 4-tuner variety?

Where have you attempted this setup, in the same room as your new gateway or in a remote room?

My recommendation would be to use one of your TiVo Bridge adapters in the same room as your new gateway, connecting the MoCA adapter as a client (i.e. via coax only), in order to initialize & verify your MoCA network. If needed, temporarily install a MoCA-compatible splitter to feed the coax signal to both the gateway and the TiVo Bridge from the splitter's outputs, and then connect a laptop or PC to the TiVo Bridge's Ethernet port. (Just be sure to disable the wireless adapter on the laptop/PC, if present, to avoid confusion.) You *should* be able to establish a MoCA connection in this simple configuration.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016