Moca gurus help!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by oosik77, Nov 13, 2016.

1. oosik77

oosik77 TiVo Maniac

Nov 22, 1999
    Phoenix,...

Advertisements

Okay I have a Roamio, Premiere, and two mini's. They are connected as follows:

Roamio - Actiontec Moca via 8 port switch - Main unit for the Mini's
    Premiere - Actiontec Moca direct connect
    Mini #1 - Actiontec Moca via 4 port switch
    Mini #2 - Ethernet connection to my router - this router also has the main Actiontec device connected

It has been working fine for months. Then earlier this week it just quit working. After a bit of testing I found that:

Mini #1 could still see the network just not the Roamio
    Mini #2 could still see the network just not the Roamio
    Premiere couldn't see anything
    Roamio couldn't see anything

Found that the Actiontec on the Roamio had no Coax light and a blinking internet light.

Tried a new 8 port switch and that fixed it for 4 days. Then this morning it was out again. What I've now found is that on that same Roamio Actiontec if I disconnect the "Coax" cable (I can leave the STB coax connected) the internet light will stay lit but when I reconnect that cable it goes back to blinking (a slow blink on for 2-3 seconds and off for the same). I still have cable service through it just no internet now. I have swapped the Actiontec devices in various locations but the symptoms stay put.

I'm out of ideas on what to try next. I do have new splitters on order to replace them where the cable comes into the house as that's about all I haven't tried.

Oddly I have changed the Roamio to a wireless connection and the mini's can now see the Roamio? That does not make sense as the Roamio is not currently connected to the switch and that Roamio is not running it's own Moca network and that Actiontec device is still blinking so I'm not sure how the mini's are seeing it.

What the heck am I missing?

2. jkovach

jkovach TiVoing since 1999!

Feb 17, 2000
    Gilbert, AZ USA
    My first question is why do you have your Roamio connected to an Actiontec Moca via 8 port switch? Roamio supports Moca natively, via the coax plugged into the Roamio. You may be creating a network loop. Perhaps your setup was blind to it for months, and didn't see it until things got restarted in a different order. Needless to say you are making the network more complex with no need by not using the built-in Moca. Also, if your Premiere is a 4-tuner model, then it too supports Moca natively.

3. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    He must have a Roamio basic which does not have built in MOCA.

4. oosik77

oosik77 TiVo Maniac

Nov 22, 1999
    Phoenix,...
    The one Premiere is just 2 tuner.

The Roamio is on the other side of the house from the cable modem and router. I didn't think the native TiVo moca would play with the Actiontec moca at my cable box. I'll give that a try. Thanks for the idea.

5. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA

Advertisements

I don't understand what the 8 and 4 port switches are that you refer to. Ethernet switches? If so, you wouldn't need adapters at those locations would you? Only the Premiere needs interconnection via MOCA.

6. jkovach

jkovach TiVoing since 1999!

Feb 17, 2000
    Gilbert, AZ USA
    That's right! Forgot about mini's having built-in Moca too!

7. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    So unless you have other devices in need of Ethernet connection, you don't need the Actiontec MoCa adapter for Roamio (if non-basic Roamio) and for Mini #1

8. oosik77

oosik77 TiVo Maniac

Nov 22, 1999
    Phoenix,...
    The switches are there to connect other devices to the network. I have an older house and while I have coax in most rooms I don't have Ethernet so the moca is providing that. It's been working for several years like this it's just odd that it's suddenly not happy.

9. oosik77

oosik77 TiVo Maniac

Nov 22, 1999
    Phoenix,...
    And I think, since I also want my TV, Xbox, and blu-ray player to all be connected via Ethernet I need to use the Actiontec's. There is a TiVo moca support article saying you can only have one one device creating the network. So that's why I've been doing it all with the Actiontec's.

10. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    You did not say what Roamio you have. What another posted cautioned you is to make sure you don't have a MoCa network created by both Roamio (plus or pro) and the Actiontec MoCA adapter

11. oosik77

oosik77 TiVo Maniac

Nov 22, 1999
    Phoenix,...
    The Roamio is 6 tuner and has moca but it is not enabled the Primere is 2 tuner.

12. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Then no reason for an adapter at the Roamio/Plus/Pro. If I were you, I'd go all MOCA. Thus only the adapter at the router and the Premiere. Make sure you set the Roamio to MOCA on network settings. No Ethernet to minis, just MOCA via the coax. I have the exact same set up, two minis, Premiere, and Roamio. Works perfectly.

13. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Is the Ethernet switch by the Roamio connected to the router? If so that's all you need for the peripherals. If not, you can use the Ethernet out on the Roamio into the switch to provide the connectivity to the peripherals to the router. Again make sure you have the Roamio set to make MOCA.

14. oosik77

oosik77 TiVo Maniac

Nov 22, 1999
    Phoenix,...
    So I can do the following?

Roamio - enable moca and connect to switch to feed other devices in that room.

Premier - connect to Actiontec.

Mini1 - connect to switch to feed other device at that location.

Mini2 - connect to router.

I only need the one Actiontec setup?

15. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    You need two adapters, one at your router and one at the Premiere. I pretty sure the Minis will work with the ethernet connections (I don't have first hand experience), but I know they will work with a simple coax connection.

Sounds like you have everything you need. Set it up and see if it works and let us know.

16. oosik77

oosik77 TiVo Maniac

Nov 22, 1999
    Phoenix,...
    Okay that will not work as I have two places where I have a need for a switch and I need it connected by moca but if you enable TiVo's moca you can't have Ethernet connected to it with moca enabled so I need the Actiontec's to provide the connection. That said I have 3 of the 2200 Actiontec devices and one 2500 that is newer and this started a few weeks after hooking it up so I disconnected it this morning and all the others are working again. Supposedly the 2500 should be backwards compatible but I guess it gets confused sometime. Once the 2200's came back online I was able to connect the 2500 again and everything is working again. I'll track down another 2200 I guess or swap that 2500 for another that I have maybe it has an intermittent issue. At any rate thanks for the ideas!

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    One way to eliminate one of your Actiontec adapters (perhaps the "problematic" 2500)...

Your Roamio Plus/Pro *could* be connected using MoCA ("Connect using MoCA") with the isolated 8-port network switch connected to the Roamio's Ethernet port; however, you need to leave the Ethernet port on the Roamio disconnected when first configuring the Roamio to "Connect using MoCA." Once the Roamio is successfully networking via MoCA, you can then connect the network switch to the Roamio's Ethernet port and the Roamio will bridge the traffic for any other devices connected to the switch.

I suspect your issue described here...
    ... was due to attempting to connect the Roamio via MoCA but with the network switch connected.

One benefit of this is that the Roamio would now have upwards of 170Mbps bandwidth available via MoCA 1.1, whereas the prior configuration would have been limited by the Actiontec adapter's Fast Ethernet port to 100Mbps. (Unfortunately, the gain is only of use to other devices connecting to the Roamio via MoCA, as the Actiontec adapter being used as the main bridge will restrict throughput to the router to the spec of the adapter's Ethernet port: Fast Ethernet, 100Mbps.)

18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Just to be clear, the configuration just described for the Roamio Plus/Pro DVR, in my prior post, is not possible for TiVo Minis, as the Minis are not capable of bridging traffic between Ethernet and Moca; the Minis can only act as clients for either Ethernet or MoCA.

If you want to connect multiple Ethernet-capable devices at your Mini1 location, you would need to stick with your previous configuration, with a MoCA adapter providing a connection to a network switch. You could then connect the Mini to this network switch and configure the Mini to connect using Ethernet, as you were doing previously, *or* split the coax cable to connect the MoCA adapter and Mini separately to the coax line and then configure the Mini to "Connect using MoCA."

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  19. oosik77

oosik77 TiVo Maniac

Nov 22, 1999
    Phoenix,...
    Good to know for future reference. Thanks.

20. JoJetSki

JoJetSki Member

Jul 24, 2006
    I have been searching like crazy to confirm (what I suspected) that My Roamio Pro's built-in MoCA bridge is 1.1 and not 2.0. Based on the quote above am I correct?