MOCA fail after splitter added

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by JoeTaxpayer, May 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. May 1, 2021 #1 of 10
    JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008

Advertisements

I have Comcast, and after seeing they changed their billing menu so that cablecards are now free, I thought to reactivate a few older ones. I added a splitter to the cable and the Bolt tuned in shows no problem. The older TiVo, an Elite was fine after pairing the CableCard.
    But - When I went to use apps (on the Bolt), they were greyed out, and in setting, MOCA seemed to be off. Rebooted the Bolt. Still no apps. Removed splitter, apps back.
    Does this make sense? The splitter passes a signal strong enough for TV signal, but not for MOCA?

2. May 1, 2021 #2 of 10
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Could be.

MoCA uses 'unused' frequencies above the Cable TV Band in the +1gHz range.

Low budget splitters might not be able to pass enough signal in that range.

Another consideration is that 'MoCA Certified' splitters also have 'low port isolation' so the devices can communicate with each other.

I'm a proponent of Unity Gain MoCA Compatible Amps.

-KP

3. May 2, 2021 #3 of 10
    JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Thanks! Just ordered one. Arrives tomorrow, I'll update here.

Update - The splitter was $9, and claimed "Work with Satellite TV CATV Antenna System and MoCA Configurations." The MOCA features (i.e. anything needing ethernet) worked fine, but TV signal was too weak, regular channels pixelating badly. Glad I tried, and appreciate the advice.

Where my cable comes in, I have a 4 way splitter. I suspect I may be pushing my luck trying to add another one without any amplifier. Internet has another cable, I may tinker to see if I can use a 1/4 split for internet and send a full signal to this place I want 2 tivos. (Back story - When my house was built and cable pulled underground, I asked the installer to run 2 cables. The box on the street had 8 ports, but would only serve 5 houses, max, so I have 2 lines running to my house to have some extra signal. Even that may not be enough)

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    kpeters59 likes this.
  4. May 4, 2021 #4 of 10
    kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Remember this?:

-KP

5. May 5, 2021 #5 of 10
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    krkaufman likes this.
  6. May 5, 2021 #6 of 10
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This seems to indicate that the TV reception was fine with the splitter added, so no amplification should be required.

Sure, it’s possible. The specific brand & model # of the splitter in question would allow for a review of its MoCA compatibility.

Also, checking the MoCA stats with the splitter removed (BOLT direct-connected?) might provide insight on whether the location is already at the edge of MoCA connectivity.

It would also be helpful to know how the boxes are networked and how the MoCA network is established.

7. May 5, 2021 #7 of 10
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    FWIW, splitters spec’d to work well with satellite setups should have higher output port isolation in the satellite frequency range (950-2150 MHz), but, as @kpeters59 noted above, MoCA port hopping benefits from splitters designed with lower output port isolation in the MoCA frequency range (1125-1675 MHz); so, a splitter can’t be optimized for both satellite and MoCA use.

Some splitters recommended for MoCA setups...
    2-way models are listed, but any splitters from the same series will be similarly MoCA 2.x-compatible.

8. May 5, 2021 #8 of 10
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This makes it sound like you currently have your cable Internet modem/gateway connected to one cable feed coming from the provider “post,” and a second cable feed from the post servicing your TV boxes (connected to a 4-way splitter).

Is this correct? If so, it may be at the root of your MoCA issue, though more detail on how your MoCA network is set up would be needed, to be more confident.

Separately, if you have these somewhat separate coax segments, does the modem/gateway location have just the one coax outlet (for the modem/gateway) or does that location also have a coax outlet that connects back to the “TV” 4-way splitter?

9. May 5, 2021 #9 of 10
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Interesting that this alternate splitter flipped the symptoms from the splitter previously tried.

A question: You say the cable feed is coming through a 4-way splitter. How many of those 4 lines are in use, requiring the raw cable signal?

edit: Jumping ahead... an alternative is to change the 4-way splitter to another passive configuration, rather than an amplifier, something that delivers a stronger signal to where you’re looking to add an additional split.

For example, rather than the 4-way, use a 2-way splitter feeding the dual DVR location’s coax line and a 3-way splitter; adds complexity but preserves a bit of signal strength for the DVRs by slightly bumping-up the loss on the other 3 lines.

Before: 7dB loss on each of 4 lines, 10.5 dB loss at DVRs after addl 2-way splitter
    Tweak: 9dB loss on 3 other lines (2-way+3-way[balanced]), 7dB loss total at DVRs (2-way+2-way)​

Speaking of amplification, the details on how your MoCA network is established, and available coax runs, is needed to gauge how even a MoCA-compatible amplifier might work for your setup.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  10. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Also, you can log in to your DOCSIS Modem and see it's Signal Level.

Often it's at:

http://192.168.100.1

There may also be an 'admin page' IP Address listed on a label on the side of the device.

-KP

krkaufman likes this.