moca errors on mini's

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by marklyn, Jul 7, 2017.

1. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin

Advertisements

I have a Roamio and two mini's. Ever since I've setup moca on the Roamio and mini's (2 years ago), I have never had any problem or moca errors.
    In the last couple of weeks or so I have been getting regular moca connection errors on both mini's to the point where live TV is choppy and sometimes breaks up.
    The PHY rates on both mini's are 280+ and the link uptime varies from a few minutes to a few seconds. The error log just says "moca communication error" and nothing else descriptive.

I have always had a POE filter on the splitter (from the cable that comes from the street).
    I have tried to change the MOCA channel on the Roamio/mini's to another channel but it always defaults back to 15.
    My cable runs are only about 3 years old and in great shape.
    I want to emphasize that since I setup moca, nothing has changed! No cable has been touched and no settings touched, yet, out of the blue I'm getting these errors to the point of frustration.
    Ideas???

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    A most important thing to know is which device is creating the MoCA network. Is it the Roamio or are you using a separate MoCA adapter?
    The most likely cause is one of your MoCA devices is going bad.

3. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    The Roamio is creating the MoCA network.

4. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    If you have a stand alone MoCA adapter, the first thing I would try would be using that instead of the builtin MoCA. I am assuming you have tried to power everything off and the restarting each device.
    Also, have you tried powering off the minis, one at a time, to see if that clears the problem?

5. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin

Advertisements

Yes, I did the obvious first (unplugged Roamio and mini's) but I don't have a stand alone MoCA adapter. I am puzzled at the the vagueness of the errors and the fact I can't seem to find any online documentation or chat forums to help with clues.

6. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    When I said power off the minis, I meant one at a time and for a lengthy period, in the range of time it has taken for the errors to occur. All MoCA devices can fail and any one failing device can disrupt the entire MoCA network.
    If you power off and leave off a mini and the other one still gets the error, then reverse the process. If the errors go away, then you have found the problem device. If the errors continue after going through with this process on both minis....then the likely problem device is the Roamio. If that appears to be the case, the only resolution is either to repair if paying monthly or use a MoCA adapter on the Roamio.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It would also be helpful to know what connecting devices join your coax runs (i.e. splitters, amps, ...), including brand/model info. (diagram optional but helpful)

Even passive devices can go bad.