MoCA drops OTA signal strength

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jfegolf, Jul 15, 2019.

1. jfegolf

jfegolf New Member

Jul 12, 2019

Advertisements

I just installed a MoCa network and three Tivo minis with my existing Romio OTA. Network works perfect, however I have lost antenna signal strength. Have checked all new connections. Antenna works great until I connect the MoCa into the splitter, then signal strength drops. I've attached a schematic of what I installed. Any help would be great. Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    First guess without looking at the diagram is that you’re introducing cable TV/Internet signals onto your OTA coax feed to the DVR (a common occurrence), which is problematic as OTA and cable use overlapping frequency ranges.

OTA: 54-806 MHz
    CATV/BB: 5-1002 MHz​

Off to actually look at the diagram; thanks for including that.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Confirmed. You don’t want to mix OTA and cable signals.

Before offering a recommendation, can you provide details on how the Minis are connected (as they’re missing from the diagram).

p.s. In case I get hit by a truck, the typically recommended solution is to isolate your cable modem coax line from the rest of your coax, leaving your shared coax for just OTA and MoCA signals. In your case, you could use a barrel connector to bypass the pictured splitter and have a dedicated coax run from your provider to the modem (and could then even remove the “PoE” MoCA filter, since MoCA signals wouldn’t be present on that line after the change).

And, absent any knowledge of how the Minis are connected, you could seemingly eliminate the splitter on the “cable” side altogether and connect the coax run from the “OTA” side directly to the main bridging MoCA adapter.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    jfegolf likes this.
  4. jfegolf

jfegolf New Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Mini's are on the OTA coax distribution system. Should I have connected my Romio OTA via CAT5 from the Tivo bridge connected to cable internet? I've updated diagram to show the mini's. Thank you for your help.

Attached Files:

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

I’m a little unclear on device locations. Is the Roamio OTA co-located with the router, such that the DVR could be connected directly to a LAN port on the router?

jfegolf likes this.
  6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Given this, my earlier suggestions should get you closer to working...

jfegolf likes this.
  7. tapokata

tapokata Active Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    As @krkaufman eloquently notes, remove the splitter on the left side and connect the incoming lead directly to the modem. Then, take the cross drop that was connecting both splitters together, and attach that to the Bridge adapter on the left and the splitter on the right, and connect the bridge via ethernet to your router. That will provide network IP services from the router and bridge that traffic on and off your coax plant.

That should work, not elegantly with regard to the signal strength for OTA, but it should get rid of the cable signal conflict. Depending on what devices will be used for tuning OTA signals, a diplexer and splitter arrangement might reduce the insertion losses on the coax plant, but that may not be an immediate requirement.

jfegolf likes this.
  8. jfegolf

jfegolf New Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Thank you @krkaufman and @tapokata for your help. I changed my circuit as described. Eliminated the POE filter and splitter before the cable modem and connected the TiVo bridge to the router output. From there I tied the coax side of the bridge to the splitter before my TiVo Romeo OTA.
    Now I have perfect MoCA network without loss of OTA signal. Really appreciate your support.
    Curious why TiVo support tech had me split the cable internet in front of the modem? Don't they know about the cable channel / OTA frequency conflict?
    OTA: 54-806 MHz
    CATV/BB: 5-1002 MHz

Anyway. Thanks again you two. Happy TiVo'ing

jfegolf

krkaufman and tapokata like this.
  9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Well, if they read their own support pages they’ll be misinformed on the subject. (see here) I’ve tried alerting them to the error in their instructions a few times.

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    My cable use:
    cable spectrum.jpg
    We have DOCSIS 3.1 and a few analog channels. The system goes up to 860MHz.

11. jfegolf

jfegolf New Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Yep. That's where I got my MoCA information

krkaufman likes this.
  12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    @TiVo_Ted, is there someone at TiVo who could get this erroneous MoCA setup info corrected? Who’s responsible for the support/how-to pages?

See my just prior post, above.

Please&thanks!

jfegolf likes this.
  13. scott784

scott784 New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    Krkaufman - they need people like you working for TiVo support!! Although, my setup was far more simple, you helped me with "MoCa" months ago. I had no experience with any configurations. But with your instructions, I was able to establish a MoCa network and get all my devices hard wired on my network in no-time :)

krkaufman likes this.
  14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You deserve a good deal of credit, it would seem, as I don’t see any history of having helped you, so you must have done the research and worked things out for yourself. Sounds like I can finally retire. ;)

15. scott784

scott784 New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    Don't retire....lol! I am delirious with it being late in the evening. I stand corrected. You actually helped me on the AVS site. I sent you a quick PM over there. Thanks.

Scott

krkaufman likes this.