MoCA confusion

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jhjones75, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Nov 4, 2011 #1 of 73
    jhjones75

jhjones75 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Denver
    So I've been looking into getting MoCA and have to admit to being a little confused. I'm an IT guy, but not a network guy so some of this stuff is a little confusing to me.

At my main TV I've got a new Elite (with the built in MoCA bridge). That's also where my Comcast cable modem and wireless router are.

My second TV just has a Tivo Series 3 connected by wifi.

I know that the Elite has a bridge, but for the life of me can't figure out how to connect the wires. It seems like standard moca set up is that my coax would come from the wall into a 3rd party bridge, then out to the cable modem (coax). Cable modem via cat5 to the wireless router. Coax out from moca bridge to Tivo.

2nd Tivo would have coax out from wall to 2nd MoCa device, then coax out from that to the Tivo.

But since the new Tivo has the bridge built in, which devices would this eliminate? Since it's connected to the same jack as my cable modem does it really help me? I could see it eliminating the device at the 2nd jack but don't really see how it could go inline at the main TV.

If you can help my confusion, thanks!

2. Nov 4, 2011 #2 of 73
    jhjones75

jhjones75 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Denver
    Found this picture that fairly well explains what it would look like (without the built in MoCA bridge). Just trying to figure out what enabling the internal bridge would buy me. Thanks!

[​IMG]

3. Nov 4, 2011 #3 of 73
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I am no expert, but the way I understand it is that the Tivo Bridge will substitute #1 in the first picture. You will still need adapters for the rest of the locations.

4. Nov 4, 2011 #4 of 73
    Cspot

Cspot Member

May 25, 2001
    SW Ohio...
    If you're going to use the bridge in the Elite:

use a splitter on the cable from the wall, then run a coax to elite & a coax to cable modem
    Result, no MoCA adapter required at this TiVo.

5. Nov 4, 2011 #5 of 73
    jhjones75

jhjones75 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Denver
    I've already got a splitter running from the coax in the wall between the cable modem and the Elite. What would that buy me?

Seems like if I bought the device in the picture it bypasses the need for having the splitter (and doesn't even use the MoCA bridge in the Elite).

I think if I was using the Elite in my bedroom, it would bypass the need for the extra device there, but having it in my main room means I won't even use the built-in MOCA, right? Because I need to have the device go out to my cable modem?

6. Nov 4, 2011 #6 of 73
    Cspot

Cspot Member

May 25, 2001
    SW Ohio...
    buys you nothing if you don't have MoCA tied into your lan at another loction in your network.

if you want to tie MoCA in at the cable modem location, you need another MoCA device here.

Next question is what MoCA device are you planning to use?...the diagram looks like Netgear...which I just installed last night, as it has the built-in diplexer.

7. Nov 4, 2011 #7 of 73
    jhjones75

jhjones75 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Denver
    Thank you!

So if I moved my cable modem and inbound coax connection to elsewhere in the house, and enabled MoCA on the Elite, would I be able to put the ethernet connection from the Tivo into the uplink port of a hub and serve other devices that are connected to the main TV (i.e. xbox, ps3, etc)?

8. Nov 4, 2011 #8 of 73
    Cspot

Cspot Member

May 25, 2001
    SW Ohio...
    I wish, I have the same issue....appears you can't use the ethernet on the Elite if using onboard MoCA...will confirm that tonight.

If not, I'll have to add another device at the Elite for my other Ethernet devices.

Edit: MoCA on the Elite "is" bridging my other devices via Ethernet.

9. Nov 4, 2011 #9 of 73
    jhjones75

jhjones75 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Denver
    Ah, that makes sense. Just means I won't be able to use the built-in MoCA. Thanks again!

10. generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Not true. You can use both MoCA and Ethernet at the same time. They will simply be bridged. I'm doing that now to bridge my Internet router to all of my MoCA adapters through the Elite.

11. bsd

bsd New Member

Sep 30, 2002
    New York,...
    Question on a similar topic. Do I need special splitters to split the cable from the wall to the cable modem and the MoCa device near my router. I think I saw something saying that the splitter has to have an upper range of 2Ghtz, but typical (cheap) splitters have an upper range of 1Ghtz. Thoughts?

Also, I assume there is no difference between a satellite splitter and a cable splitter. Is that right? The satellite splitter that I found at Radio Shack has an upper range of 2 Ghtz.

Thanks,
    Brett

12. Cspot

Cspot Member

May 25, 2001
    SW Ohio...
    My cable runs are all straight to the outside and are connected to a BDA-S4 amp.

I don't do SAT, but from what I've read, SAT and cable splitters are different.

13. bsd

bsd New Member

Sep 30, 2002
    New York,...
    Thanks. Anyone using MoCa know if a 1Ghtz Cable splitter will work or whether I need to find a 2Ghtz cable splitter?

14. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    I use actiontec/verizon moca with 1Ghz splitters....
    They work fine. 1Ghz splitters don't stop working a 1Ghz.
    The moca on my system are at 1.15 Ghz.

15. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I got a tip today on another forum. If you have a weak cable signal, use a diplexer instead of a spilitter. A diplexer looks just like a splitter except it will say "satellite" on one of the outputs.

16. rage777

rage777 Member

Aug 19, 2006
    I had problems with my Fios system when I had too many 1GHz splitters. My line from the ONT was split 5 ways to a 1GHz, then I split it again at my TV with a 1GHz splitter and I had a signal degradation issue. Once I substituted the 5 way and the 2 way splitters with the 2GHz splitter it worked great. So as long as you don't split them more than once with a 1 GHz splitter, it should/might be fine.

17. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    You may have just had a bad / cheap splitter.....or you may be using a higher channel.

I just checked my router and it can be configured to one of 8 channels starting at 1.15Ghz up to 1.5Ghz.

All the video is below 1ghz, it is only moca that is above 1ghz.

My signals are so hot that I have to attenuate them (for the tivo) after splitting them 2 or 3 times....

18. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I saw your post about using the Netgear MCAB1001 coax adapters with your Tivos .. I'm doing that too ... I'm using Time Warner for Internet/TV and Phone service. THe main connection to Time Warner will be in Location #1 with my PC and Router .. My HDTV's are in Location #2 and #3. Both of these have Tivo PRemier boxes.

What kind and how many splitters do I need in each location?

Thanks for any help you can give.

19. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Explain Diplexer? ..

20. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    It should bridge your other devices, right? I've never used MoCA, but providing a LAN connection that way should be an alternative to providing it via an Ethernet cable. You wouldn't connect to your router both ways, but if you provide your Elite a LAN connection via MoCA, you should then be able to run an Ethernet cable from the Elite to your Blu-ray player (for example) to provide it with a connection. Or am I missing something?