MoCA compatible splitters and drastic bandwidth reduction

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ljnelson, May 31, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ljnelson

ljnelson New Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Bainbridge...
    This is more of a networking question, I realize, but it overlaps a great deal with some of the topics I've seen in this (great) community.

I have a network whose topology is as follows:

cable -->
    PoE filter -->
    splitter +--> TiVo Mini (so MoCA client only)
    +--> splitter +--> router (XFinity turd w/MoCA capability enabled)
    +--> TiVo Bolt (set up as MoCA client)

That's two splitters. They are the Comcast-supplied 5-1000gHz ones. They are built like tanks.

OK. The preferred MoCA network controller is my Xfinity disaster of a router. Fine. That means the TiVos are set up as MoCa clients.

When the turd of a router doesn't crash or otherwise ruin my life, everything works great.

Periodically, the router decides that MoCA is disabled for no good reason. Because I deliberately have my TiVos set up as MoCA clients (the Mini because it can be only a MoCA client and the Bolt because I don't want it to be the preferred network controller since the router ideally serves that purpose), that means they're both disconnected. Boo. Hiss.

It occurred to me the other day that perhaps this is because the splitters are not MoCA compatible (i.e. they "quit" at 1000 instead of going "up" to 1675 gHz. So I ordered MoCA compatible ones and put them inline in the same spots.

My internet bandwidth was DESTROYED by this move. I get about a third of the speed I was getting prior to the splitter swap. So I put the old ones back. My bandwidth came back.

Anyone know what theory could account for this? Again, the only effective change is the gHz rating of the splitters; the db loss is 3.5 for them all.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Try moving all your MoCA channels up several channels. As high as they can tolerate. Then retest.

-KP

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Any splitter will reduce the signal and it depends on how much they reduce by, usually noted on the item. (IE: -7dB)

4. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    You state your preferred configuration is the router as MoCA bridge, but perhaps you could disable its MoCA feature and use the Bolt as the bridge. If your system becomes stable, then it's not the splitters. If not stable then it may not be the router.

5. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    No idea why your "MoCA compatible" splitters would kill your internet, but Comcast used to periodically disable the MoCA on their equipment unless you were using it with their tv boxes. If that is your problem you would have to call and have your gateway "white listed" so they stop automatically disabling it. Plan B as already suggested would be to leave the gateway MoCA disabled and use the Bolt to create a MoCA network, IF you can get an Ethernet connection to it.
    BTW your comcast splitters don't "quit" at 1000 GHz, they just have not been "rated" or tested for higher use, but in fact, most splitters will work with MoCA to some degree and normally with only 2 splitters in use this would not be an issue with any of them.

6. ljnelson

ljnelson New Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Bainbridge...
    Thanks; yep. A correction to my original post: The new splitters were -3.9 at their outs; the old ones were -3.5. I was thinking that was probably a mostly negligible increase.