MOCA can't get DHCP info

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rasandefur, Nov 13, 2017.

1. rasandefur

rasandefur New Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Ugh! I just got my Tivo Bolt set up to use MOCA, and it was working fine. Now, it says there are port issues and it can't get a DHCP connection. I don't even know where to start.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Please tell us your current setup and model numbers of your equipment (router, modem, etc.)

3. rasandefur

rasandefur New Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have a Linksys Velop, TiVo bridge. Cable split to bridge and modem (spectrum), ethernet from bridge and modem to Linksys Velop. TiVo in another room connected to coaxial. I think. :) I'm not there right now.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The "TiVo in another room" is the BOLT, right?

And you mention Spectrum. Do you have a SDV Tuning Adapter paired with the BOLT? If so, how is are the Tuning Adapter and BOLT connected to each other and the coax?

5. rasandefur

rasandefur New Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Yes, Bolt in another room. I've tried two things. One was cable into Tuning adapter and out of adapter into Bolt. Another was cable directly into Bolt (without adapter). I think I read something about needing to hook up tuning adapter in a "parallel" configuration, but didn't think I needed to since I had it working at first.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The BOLT definitely must NOT be connected via the Tuning Adapter's pass-through RF/STB Out port. As you've read, you'll want to use a MoCA-compatible splitter (ideally) to connect the TA and BOLT directly to the coax line, rather than daisy-chained. Keep in mind that you may also want to install a "protective" MoCA filter on the input of the Tuning Adapter, to protect it from MoCA signals which have been seen to disrupt TA operation. (see here for more info)

p.s. This isn't to say that correcting the setup per the above will resolve your current issue if the root cause is elsewhere, but the "parallel" connection is needed to ensure relaible MoCA (and TA) operation.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm also curious about your type of residence (single family home, apartment, condo?) and whether you know if you have a "PoE" MoCA filter installed to secure your MoCA network? (see here for info on "PoE" MoCA filters)

8. rasandefur

rasandefur New Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Yes, single family home. Installed POE filter outside house before the splitter. Thanks!

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    At this point, I'd recommend getting the BOLT & TA properly connected, and then doing a full power reset of your gear, ensuring your TiVo, MoCA adapter, modem, router are all powered down for a few minutes. Bring the modem and router back up first, followed by the MoCA adapter and then the BOLT.

A full power reset has been seen to resolve puzzling MoCA issues in the past.

10. rasandefur

rasandefur New Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Thank you! I was thinking the same thing. Just a complete reset. I'll keep you posted. Appreciate the advice.

krkaufman likes this.
  11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  12. rasandefur

rasandefur New Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Hey there! Sorry for the delay. Did what you suggested and rebooted everything. Is working again. It appears that the TiVo needs a reboot every time something the Ethernet connection from the TiVo bridge changes in some way (gets unplugged, etc.) Thanks for your help!

krkaufman likes this.