MOCA available in all but one room

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Hank, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA

Advertisements

I have a MOCA network set up in my house. I went to set up a Tivo Roamio+TV in the master bedroom (MBR), the coax there does just fine for CATV, but I can't get a MOCA connection up there. All the coax in the house terminates at one terminal block in the basement (8 way powered splitter that Cablevision just installed new).

I get MOCA at all other rooms with COAX except the master bedroom. Without cutting open a bunch of walls, I have no idea what's between the COAX terminal in the MBR and the 8-way splitter in the basement. I tested each port of the splitter for MOCA and they're all fine. So it's something between the splitter and the MBR wall outlet causing the problem. I suspect there could be a splitter hidden somewhere, but no idea where.

I've tried several MOCA->Ethernet bridges (repurposed FIOS routers, Tivo Bolt in bridge mode, Actiontec WCB3000N) and I can't get a MOCA connection working in the MBR, but the Tivo receives CATV just fine.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose?

2. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Quite curious. Having MoCA work everywhere except one room, while having CATV everywhere, clearly means something is really odd with the connection to that room. One way this could happen: maybe a diplexer was (inadvertently?) used somewhere instead of a splitter, with the master bedroom on the VHF/UHF leg of the diplexer. But, if that was the case, you'd probably have a coax port where MoCA would work but no CATV signals would be present.

First step that I'd suggest for diagnosis is to determine which of the 8 splitter ports feeds to the master bedroom. Then you could do some experiments to determine which frequency bands are getting through. It might also be helpful to map out all 8 connections so that you know which room is fed by each of the splitter ports.

3. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Brand and Part#/Model# of the 'powered amp?

4. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    This part of the house with the MBR is an addition that was built in 1989, so before MOCA and internet cabling. The original house was from 1925, and there is one room with three COAX runs (my office) which is where I have the cable modem and MOCA bridge setup on the "live" COAX to the basement. I haven't tested the other two yet, but I can.

Yes, I'm in the process of mapping out the splitter and where each cable runs to.

I'll get that later today.

5. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas

Advertisements

That new room is probably home-run to a location on the other side of the Amp. Maybe outside or something?

It the Amp is a proper MoCA Amp, then MoCA can't get past the Input of it.

You'd probably need to find a way to get that room home-run to the Amp.

-KP

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    ... but also determine whether the amp is actually needed. How many of the coax lines hanging off the amp actually need the raw cable TV/Internet signal?