MoCA and OTA Setup with an existing MoCA Network

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by PSU_Sudzi, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Aug 7, 2017 #1 of 16
    PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I am thinking of getting rid of my Xfinity cable service completely and going OTA. My current setup is that the MOCA is being created by my Xfinity XB3 router and I have a Roamio Plus in the living room and a mini in a bedroom (POE filter installed outside my condo).

I'd like to continue to use the XB3 for the MOCA setup when I replace my Roamio with some OTA TiVo model (undecided yet) as I don't want to run Ethernet cables all over the place. What do I need to do to connect the OTA TiVo to my wall coax to pick up the MOCA signal since the coax input in that TiVo will be used to connect to the antenna?

2. Aug 7, 2017 #2 of 16
    Cyth

Cyth New Member

Aug 7, 2017
    PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  3. Aug 7, 2017 #3 of 16
    PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Thanks for the tip, appreciated! So if I am viewing/interpreting that diagram correctly, there is a splitter where both the OTA signal and the wall coax merge before going into the OTA TiVo? Plus a POE before putting it into the splitter.

4. Aug 7, 2017 #4 of 16
    Cyth

Cyth New Member

Aug 7, 2017
    So that pic has one poe blocking your signal from going to your isp/neighbors (which if you have fios it is not necessary, coax signals start/stop at the ONT). So you need one there for sure if you have cable and not fios. Next The second poe just needs to be placed between the splitter and antenna . If your not sure where it is etc. just put the poe filter on the connection of the antenna and attach the coax to the poe filter. lol I hope that made sense, it did in my head but sometimes doesn't get written right.

Code:
    Look like this:    (Outside/Inside Antenna) -----> POE ------> splitter  ----> Tivo, Tivo Mini, Router

------> POE ----> Tivo
    NOT: (Outside/Inside Antenna) -----> Splitter  ----|
                                                        ------> Tivo Mini, router or other moca devices
    There we go, got it with the code tags... sorry I am new to this forum

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  5. Aug 7, 2017 #5 of 16
    PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Yes it does make sense. I have a POE filter outside my condo in the box to all other units so I am covered there. Just need another POE filter for the antenna source and a splitter and I should be good to go. Thanks again for your help!

6. Aug 7, 2017 #6 of 16
    wtherrell

wtherrell Active Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Huntersville...
    The coax for Moca needs to be connected to the cable (internet) modem. I don't think your OTA connection will be sufficient. Something like a reverse splitter (two inputs, one output) might work but I have never tried that.

7. Aug 7, 2017 #7 of 16
    PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    IMG_1506.jpg
    The cable modem is supplying the MoCA signal and that coax is running through the condo. The mini will be connected via that coax line. My question is how do I get that MoCA signal from the coax into the OTA TiVo since I need to plug the antenna coax into the back of it? In the diagram supplied by TiVo and linked to by Cyth, it shows a splitter with the MoCA coax running into it along with the antenna coax along with a connection to the OTA TiVo. It seemed odd to me as the antenna coax looks like it is being plugged into an output tap on the splitter but maybe that doesn't matter? Image embedded.

8. Aug 7, 2017 #8 of 16
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Roamio basic and OTA models (basically the same models) does not have MoCA built-in, so a MoCA adapter (AKA Tivo Bridge) is needed.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  9. Aug 7, 2017 #9 of 16
    PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I already have a MoCA network setup so I am not sure why I need a TiVo bridge? Doesn't any model of TiVo work with an existing MoCA network?

10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The Roamio you have is most likely the Plus or Pro models which has built-in MoCA adapters, but OTA/basic does not. So MoCA connections will not work. It would be either Ethernet or WiFi.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  11. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Ok, so I would need to buy a MoCA adapter and run my coax from the MoCA network to that and then from there into the OTA Ethernet port? If I buy a Bolt OTA capable I guess this would not be needed?

12. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You Split coax, 1 leg to Roamio and other to Coax in on MoCA adapter. Ethernet ports on adapter/OTA. That's it.

13. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    In this case though that feed of coax only had the MoCA signal and the antenna coax is what needs to be fed to the OTA unless I am mistaken?

14. m.s

m.s Active Member

Mar 8, 2007
    There's a problem with that diagram. On a standard 2 port splitter, the center port is 3.5 db away from the 2 splits (the splits are 7 db from each other). In the diagram, the center port is shown going toward the cable modem. That's incorrect - it should be connected to the TiVo. As shown, there would be a 7 db loss (plus whatever loss the PoE filter has) between the Tivo and the antenna. Connecting the center port to the TiVo reduces that by 3.5 db, and also increases the isolation between the cable signal and antenna by 3.5 db, which is a good thing.

You might also need to put a 1 GHz high pass filter on the tap of the TiVo/antenna splitter which goes toward the cable modem. Even if you don't have cable (set-top boxes), the incoming cable signal may have frequencies which would interfere with OTA reception. A high pass filter would keep those away from the TiVo, but still allow them to get to the modem, which needs them, and still allow MOCA RF to the TiVo. But good luck finding a reasonably priced one. A PoE filter is exactly the opposite - it's a 1 GHz low pass.

wtherrell and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  15. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you have a separate coax for antenna and MoCA, then you would just connect the MoCA coax to the adapter. A splitter isn't needed.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  16. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Thanks for explaining that. As suggested by another poster, I will get a MoCA adapter and not connect the antenna coax to anything but the OTA TiVo so there should be no issues with interference from the cable coax and antenna coax co-mingling.