MoCA and Apartments

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by rspike, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Aug 8, 2020 #1 of 11
    rspike

rspike Member

Aug 28, 2003

Advertisements

Several years ago I installed MoCA in my single family home which has been powering my main TiVo Romio and 3 TiVo Mini units. It's been working perfectly.

I am downsizing and moving into a brand new construction apartment building. Would all of the cable jacks in the new apartment be "connected" the same way they are in my single family home now? As I mentioned, the apartment building is brand new construction. My understanding is that all the cable jacks need to be connected for MoCA to function.

Thanks, in advance, for any help or insight.

2. Aug 8, 2020 #2 of 11
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    There is no way to know except for trial and error. The biggest problem in apartment living is often to get a MoCA filter properly installed on the input of the splitter going to your new apartment, you may have to pay for the CATV provider to install one for you as they often use a "utility" type of closet where they split up the runs to the separate units.
    Unfortunately, in my limited experience, even in "luxury" apartments the coax cables are often daisy chained...not the ideal setup for anything.

3. Aug 8, 2020 #3 of 11
    rspike

rspike Member

Aug 28, 2003

4. Aug 8, 2020 #4 of 11
    rspike

rspike Member

Aug 28, 2003
    Thanks for the quick response. Your explanation makes perfect sense.

Assuming that it doesn't work after trial and error, what are other options? Ethernet Powerlines? Other?

5. Aug 8, 2020 #5 of 11
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015

Advertisements

Honestly, you may have the same kind of issues with powerline, which is dependent on how the apartment is wired etc. You are familiar with MoCA, I would wait until you try that out first, it can be made to work in many cases even in apartments. If you run into a wall with one mode, then consider trying a second, also there are a number of variations/combinations which can be successful, i.e., if you can get 2-3 units working successfully, then try another for the unsuccessful location.

6. jonw747

jonw747 Active Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Brand new construction without wired Ethernet to each room?

7. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Hopefully the cable company can come out and put a POE filter on the junction box for the building. For me, I had problems with connections dropping on a TiVo Mini until the filter was put on. It did not prevent my Roamio though from using MoCA to connect to the internet, just signals between boxes. Could be different for you or no problems at all.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    FYI... related post from a while back, basically echoing @fcfc2's comments, above:

fcfc2 likes this.
  9. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Trial and error just to try and get MoCA to "work" in an apartment is a VERY risky situation. Other folks have already talked about the problem with getting the POE filter properly installed, but I wanted to emphasize that even if you THINK it is properly installed, you will have virtually no way of ever knowing for sure. You might get MoCA "working" fine for you, but how will you ever know if anyone else in that apartment complex now has access to your network due to your MoCA installation?

Personally, I would NEVER consider enabling MoCA in any building where I did not have 100% control over the entire premises. Even if you can manage to get it done right now, how will you prevent someone else from changing it in the central wiring closet in the future?

10. brobin

brobin Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Ask the building what they're doing. Many will have a cabinet in a closet in the unit where all the cable, Ethernet/phone and speaker wires terminate as well as incoming cable, phone and/or fiber feeds. If this is an apartment as opposed to a condo that might be less likely.

11. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Encryption can and likely should be used with any MoCA installation in which the security is unknown or uncertain.

krkaufman likes this.