MoCA alternative

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by joy_division, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Mar 7, 2021 #1 of 14
    joy_division

joy_division Member

Nov 22, 2007

Advertisements

I am on Fios. Their router has built in MoCA, so my first gen mini had no problems working and seeing shows on other Tivos I have. I dumped their router long ago and went with an Orbi, but still needed MoCA and got their little device which looks like a switch with 4 ports. Problem is, they last one year before they die. I am now on my third one. I am tired of this BS and want to get rid of the device entirely and just go with ethernet connections. I have no ports left in the Orbi, so I would have to get a switch I assume. How many Tivos would I need to hook up to this switch in the Orbi to get up an running? All of my Tivos or just my Roamio which it is currently using on of the tuners for?

Or more accurately, what is the easiest way to get my mini back up and running?

2. Mar 7, 2021 #2 of 14
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Can you provide a diagram of the wiring available at your location?

-KP

3. Mar 7, 2021 #3 of 14
    joy_division

joy_division Member

Nov 22, 2007
    I don't have a diagram, but let me describe. Hopefully that will help.

I have a Tivo Roamio in basement.
    I have a Tivo Premiere hooked into a Tivo MoCA adapter (as original Premiere didn't have MoCA built in).
    I have a mini in the kitchen. I have Fios coming into home going into Orbi router. I have Verizon Network Adapter with build in MoCA connected to Orbi. Coax is going into this adapter. Moca works. Mini can see all other Tivos. This is the third adapter I am on in less than 3 yearts. They last about 1 year then die. I am tired of it. I just want to allow my mini to do what it is doing now.
    I do see they have a new mini vox. Does this require MoCA, or can it work on wireless? I cannot seem to find any info.

4. Mar 7, 2021 #4 of 14
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    It's not clear to me which device keeps dying on you. Is it an Orbi device or a Moca adapter? How do you know it's dead? Have you tried a different brand?

I've never used Orbi, but I have used many Moca adapters besides the one Tivo sells, and all have worked fine for years. I can tell you that switching your Tivos to an entirely wireless setup will probably not work well.

kpeters59 likes this.
  5. Mar 7, 2021 #5 of 14
    joy_division

joy_division Member

Nov 22, 2007

Advertisements

Oh sorry, the verizon MoCA network adapter keeps dying. It has a coax input and 4 ethernet ports. The way I know it is dead, is that the coax light is out. This second one that died, the ethernet port lights are also out. Mini no longer works. The first one that died, I "think" the ethernet ports still worked. They don't need the coax MoCA.
    Sometime I just have to power cycle the adapter, but this time that didn't work. Only the power button light works.
    Thanks for your help.

6. Mar 7, 2021 #6 of 14
    joy_division

joy_division Member

Nov 22, 2007
    I don't want the mini to work wireless, I want to try it with ethernet instead of MoCA. I just don't know what that involves.
    And an Orbi is just my router, which replaced the terrible Verizon router. It only has two ethernet ports. One is the ethernet to the house from Verizon and the other goes to the Verizon network adapter.

7. Mar 7, 2021 #7 of 14
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    For optimal help from this forum, a sketch of the available wiring would be best.

Coax and/or Cat 5 wires.

Even a rough drawing.

Most MoCA Adaptors don't stop working after 1 year. Possibly it's a signal level issue.

-KP

krkaufman likes this.
  8. Mar 7, 2021 #8 of 14
    joy_division

joy_division Member

Nov 22, 2007
    I do not think so. Verizon accidentally sent me two when I ordered one a year ago. When this one died today, I just put in the second one and it is fine. One dying after a year could be a fluke, but a second one dying after a year says the device is junk. I want a solution before my year is up so I don't have to buy another one of these. The network adapter is an Actiontec ECB5240M.
    I was thinking about buying just a regular MoCA adapter, but then I would lose my additional ethernet ports. Maybe I can buy a switch, but then I would have three devices and that is more points of failure (Orbi, switch, MoCA adapter).

Drawing attached.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  9. Mar 7, 2021 #9 of 14
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Switches are very reliable. Just get a switch and a regular Moca adapter.

krkaufman and joy_division like this.
  10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Meaning...?...maybe review your MoCA statistics and coax plant to determine if your MoCA gear is running as efficiently (at as low a power level) as possible.

p.s. Of course, owners of 5-year-old A95 Mini's are familiar with the concept of bad manufacturing batches.

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Thoughts...

* You might want to install a "PoE" MoCA filter to improve your MoCA network's performance/efficiency. Though not needed in a FiOS setup from a security standpoint, a MoCA filter installed on the input of the top-level splitter can improve the efficiency of the MoCA gear, allowing it to operate at lower power levels.

* Review splitters for MoCA compatibility.

* A cheap alternative to the switch+adapter would be buying a NVG468MQ router and configuring it down to just a MoCA adapter. It has a standard MoCA 2.0 bridge and 4 GigE LAN ports. (So similar to the ECB5240M, but slightly bigger, standard MoCA 2.0 vs bonded, and not a simple drop-in; it'd take a brief bit of configuration to strip it down.)

12. joy_division

joy_division Member

Nov 22, 2007
    I actually do have a PoE filter because I thought one day I might switch to Cablevision/Optimum/Altria which doesn't have a MoCA modem/router, so I could install that.
    I looked at the NVG468MQ online, but it scares me with it showing "coax port not used" on amazon, but maybe that is just an example. I am ok with configuration, but I'd probably mess something up. It was only 40 bucks on ebay, so I just went for it. If it doens't work, 40 is not a big loss. IT says Fronteir Fios, but if I am only using it for MoCA, I am guessing it doesn't matter.
    Thanks krkaufman, you have helped me in the past.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    krkaufman likes this.
  13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'd recommend eBay if considering the NVG468MQ route.

That said, fret not Re: the "COAX PORT NOT USED" note in the "Scenario A" Amazon product page image, as the diagram is strictly describing a FiOS Internet connection ... minus any MoCA LAN needs. If you look at the other diagrams where FiOS TV service is a factor, which requires a MoCA LAN, the diagrams connect the NVG468MQ's coax port to link-in its MoCA LAN bridge.

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This thread over on SNBForums discusses configuring the NVG468MQ as strictly a MoCA adapter:

That said, there's a lot to be said for paying a little more for simplicity.