Moca adapters

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by teaffns, Feb 20, 2021.

1. teaffns

teaffns New Member

Mar 5, 2015

Advertisements

Premiere 4 with one mini....

I am helping someone get their TiVo and mini get going.

I am not familiar with these adapters, so I need a little help here.

How many adapters are needed in this situation? The router and modem are next to each other.

One at the modem/router area? One at Premier and one at mini? Or just two?

Thanks, I just don’t really know

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Either 0, 1 or 2. It depends on the model.

The Mini does not need one as it has built-in.
    The modem/router may or may not need one if its built-in and not enabled.
    Premiere 4 (4 tuner model) has it built-in.
    Roamio 6 tuner models has it built-in.
    Some Bolts also.

For example:
    You would just need 1, at the modem/router. (if its not built-in, enabled within.)

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    As mentioned in the prior reply, the 4-tuner Premiere’s have built-in MoCA connectivity; however, the 2-tuner Premiere models lack any MoCA functionality. (Just wanted to be explicit, as “Premiere 4” is sometimes incorrectly used to describe a 2-tuner Premiere, confusing the “Series 4” and “Premiere 4” identifiers.)

So a couple questions to lock down your requirements...

* How many tuners does the Premiere have? Or what is its full model #?

* Is the Premiere located where it could be connected via Ethernet to a LAN port on the router?

4. teaffns

teaffns New Member

Mar 5, 2015
    The Premiere has 4 tuners and cable only.

The premier cannot be connected to the router. Currently, it’s connected to the wireless adapter.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

Ok, then it is definitely capable (if not broken) of natively connecting to a MoCA network*, rather than requiring a co-located MoCA adapter to make the MoCA connection on its behalf (like you’re currently doing with Wi-Fi and the separate Wi-Fi adapter),

* Older TiVo software phrased the MoCA ~client~ configuration option as “Connect to a MoCA network”; later versions label it as “MoCA client,” I believe.
    So, given separate modem and router devices (precluding a built-in MoCA bridge) and MoCA-capable TiVo boxes, you’d require a single MoCA adapter total (as above)... installed at the router location to function as your main MoCA/Ethernet bridge (effectively as the MoCA access point), connected to a LAN port on the router and to the shared coax to complete the bridge — possibly requiring a MoCA-compatible 2-way coax splitter to get both the modem and MoCA adapter connected to the coax.

Additionally, you’d need to review your coax plant to make sure that the targeted locations, critically, are all connected to the coax plant and to confirm MoCA compatibility of whatever component(s) make their connection possible; and, further, to get a “PoE” MoCA filter installed on the incoming cable line prior to the first split of the signal, to secure the MoCA network inside the home and provide it a performance/efficiency boost.

Once the above are done, it should be a simple matter to connect your MoCA-capable TiVo boxes to their coax wall outlets and configure them as MoCA clients.

6. teaffns

teaffns New Member

Mar 5, 2015
    Thanks.....got one ordered.

krkaufman likes this.
  7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    ... allowing time to review the coax inter-connectivity, and determine where to install a “PoE” MoCA filter (and/or whether one is already installed).