MoCA adapters can't see the Internet

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by AZrob, Apr 18, 2011.

1. AZrob

AZrob Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ

Advertisements

Hi all,

Two days ago I bought a pair of Netgear MoCA adapter kits (MCAB1001). Everything hooked up great - I had my two Tivos (1 Premiere, 1 HD) seeing each other, and able to connect to the Internet.

Then I moved the router, which meant disconnecting and reconnecting everything.

After that, my Tivos could still "see" and transfer to each other, but they no longer can connect to the Internet. All attempts to reset the Tivo's network settings result in a "Gateway router could not be located" message.

In my Netgear router admin view, the Tivos do not show up as connected.

One clue, maybe, is that my MoCA's panel lights show a "coax" connection icon lit (a little gear) on the front panels of the two remote (Tivo-connected) adapters, but not on the base adapter. I'm not sure if this is expected, but I think it would be.

I have been on the phone with Netgear support, but so far they are stumped. This is a new device for them, and it is also supposed to be pretty much plug and play, and they have not had many calls.

Has anyone experienced this?

Any help appreciated...

Rob from AZ

2. skillmey

skillmey New Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Hi Rob,

My understanding is that you have three MoCA adapters, but the one next to the router is not linked (the coax light should be on if it is linked to the other two units).

Either there is an issue with the topology/connection or there is a problem with the unit. Here are a few possiblities:
    1) The coax connection between the unit by the router and the other units has some issue. If you had previously linked from that location to another existing location, this would probably not be the case. Have you had a link between that outlet and the other outlets before? Check the coax wiring and connections. Make sure you have the coax cable from the wall connected to 'Coax In,' and not 'Coax out.'
    2) There is an issue with the unit next to the router. Try connecting that unit directly to another unit (with a short piece of coax) to make sure it is working and configured correctly.

When in doubt about the configuration, hold down the reset buttons for >10 seconds on each unit to restore factory defaults.

3. AZrob

AZrob Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes, that unit was working okay yesterday morning, and I have the timestamp of a successful connection to Tivo to prove it. I also took this unit and tried it out at one of the remote sites, next to a Tivo, and the coax light went on. But what I have not done is link two of them directly together...that is a great idea and I will try that. Thanks!

4. AZrob

AZrob Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ

Advertisements

Okay, problem solved. Upon closer inspection, it turned out that the coax input port on the base adapter WAS faulty. I thought I had tested it before but apparently it either never worked or was working but stopped. In any case, once I swapped an extra adapter in its place, everything worked perfectly. Sheesh, this was a brand new kit.

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Rob