MoCA adapters can't see the Internet

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by AZrob, Apr 18, 2011.

1. AZrob

AZrob Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hi all,

Two days ago I bought a pair of Netgear MoCA adapter kits (MCAB1001). Everything hooked up great - I had my two Tivos (1 Premiere, 1 HD) seeing each other, and able to connect to the Internet.

Then I moved the router, which meant disconnecting and reconnecting everything.

After that, my Tivos could still "see" and transfer to each other, but they no longer can connect to the Internet. All attempts to reset the Tivo's network settings result in a "Gateway router could not be located" message.

In my Netgear router admin view, the Tivos do not show up as connected.

One clue, maybe, is that my MoCA's panel lights show a "coax" connection icon lit (a little gear) on the front panels of the two remote (Tivo-connected) adapters, but not on the base adapter. I'm not sure if this is expected, but I think it would be.

I have been on the phone with Netgear support, but so far they are stumped. This is a new device for them, and it is also supposed to be pretty much plug and play, and they have not had many calls.

Has anyone experienced this?

Any help appreciated...

Rob from AZ

2. cram501

cram501 Member

Oct 22, 2002
    I have two pair of these.

The ethernet and cable lights both blink as traffic is observed going across the local network or cable.

With my setup I have cable lights all ends. It sounds like the base unit is not seeing the moca traffic.

If you have configured them and modified the default settings, make sure all of them are using the same frequency, etc...

3. AZrob

AZrob Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Okay, so now it's clear that the "cable" light should be on on the base adapter, as well as the 2 remote ones. And yet, it's not. And when I do an MRV transfer between the 2 Tivos, that cable light is still off on the base, but the lights on the remote adapters flash very fast, in synch with each other.

But, to my knowledge, I did not change anything on these units. I used them as they come out of the box. They are normally set to SCAN, which looks for the matching frequency, I assume. But I could see if hardcoding them all to the same frequency might work, I guess.

This would be consistent with the fact that when I login to the base adapter, it doesnt' show the other 2 connected. But how do the Tivos communicate if they don't go through the base adapter. Is it just some kind of peer-to-peer connection?

4. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I see you posted a comment on my blog post about the MoCA adapters, so I'll re-post my reply here:

As to why MRV works, yes, it's basically a peer-to-peer connection that doesn't need the internet. Since the adapter connected to your router is the one malfunctioning, your internal MoCA network is fine, but none of your MoCA devices will be able to access the internet.

5. AZrob

AZrob Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for the quick reply, Windracer....and thanks for confirming my suspicions about the LED light. Yeah, I did check the base adapter at the Tivo end and it was good, so I don't know what to think yet....there is no filter at either end.

It IS possible that there is a filter at the cross-connect box between both points - I will look there next, although I could swear this was working Sunday morning...and I certainly haven't touched the cross-connect box since then.

But please clarify one thing. You said the cable connection should go from the router to the MoCA adapter and then to the cable modem. Don't you mean the (coax) cable goes from the ISP to the MoCA and then from the MoCA to the cable modem? Separately, there is an Ethernet cable that goes from the MoCA to (one of the 4 outbound ports on) the router as well. Correct? Otherwise, I may have just connected it wrong, but I don't see any other combination....

Thanks,

Rob

6. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Yep, your right ... typo. I meant from the wall to the MoCA adapter, not the router. Good catch. I'll update my posts. And yeah, sounds like you've got the network cables correct.

It's funny ... I just had a MoCA outage a few minutes ago. I had to reboot the adapter connected to my router. That's the first time something like that has happened.

7. AZrob

AZrob Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Okay, problem solved. Upon closer inspection, it turned out that the coax input port on the base adapter WAS faulty. I thought I had tested it before but apparently it either never worked or was working but stopped. In any case, once I swapped an extra adapter in its place, everything worked perfectly. Sheesh, this was a brand new kit.

Thanks, Windracer, and everyone else for their help.

Rob

8. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    You should be able to get a replacement from Netgear under warranty, just open up a support ticket on their web site. You'll have to jump through some hoops with an analyst (firmware update, different test scenarios, etc.) but you should be able to prove the adapter is faulty and they'll send you a replacement. I just went through this myself ...

Glad you got it working!