MoCA Adapter Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Shave Jacket, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Shave Jacket

Shave Jacket Member

Jan 25, 2019

Advertisements

Hello All,
    I have a MoCA setup of Bolt/Mini's like what is attached in the schematic.

[​IMG]

I'd like to add another MM1000 MoCa adapter to one of the mini feed lines (bottom part of schematic) so I can pull a direct internet connection at the mini in my master bedroom (so I can rebroadcast my wifi). My question is how to actually connect the coax to the MM1000 and where the live internet will come from. Is there an easy schematic showing how to add an adapter into one of the mini legs?

On an off related topic does anyone have any good suggestions for best equipment to re-broadcast wifi on an upper level? The wifi is terrible on the second level of my house and I'm trying to get something to help with tht.

Thanks for any help!
    Frank

Attached Files:

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    You don't mention what kind of broadband speeds you have or want to extend. If you do your plan, with the MM1000, you should be able to do pretty well with whatever broadband speeds you have depending on what you want to use for a wireless AP. If you have only modest broadband needs, you could just pick up an old WCB3000N for $25 or so and skip the MM1000 altogether. There are also newer faster versions of a similar product that would leverage you MM1000's potential speeds, that would be the Actiontec wcb6200q. Otherwise, you could use do your plan and use almost any wireless AP you want, or if your tech skills are up to it, most older routers can be configured as wireless access points only.

3. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I second the WCB3000N recommendation. I have a couple of them extending my wired and wireless access throughout my home.

As far as connections on the MM1000 go, plug the coax from the wall into the NETWORK port, then the Mini into the DEVICE port. If that doesn't work, split the coax from the wall with one leg to the NETWORK port and the other to the Mini.

The WCB3000N only has one coax connection. So you'd use the splitter connection above or connect your Mini's ethernet to it instead of splitting the coax.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Internet traffic is routed between the router and your device through the coax in MoCa. You should be able to add another Mini without adding another MoCa adapter.

5. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008

Advertisements

That won't work since MoCA signals are only on the NETWORK port, so either use a splitter or make an ethernet connection to the Mini (probably adding an ethernet switch, since the MM1000 only has one ethernet port).

The WCB3000N is a lilttle more convenient, since it has two ethernet ports *and* can act as a WiFi extender at the same time.

6. Shave Jacket

Shave Jacket Member

Jan 25, 2019
    Sorry for the late reply in getting back to everyone (kids birthday party is coming up and I've been swamped). I currently have Spectrum Ultra (maybe gig I can't remember for certain). I do know in the living room where the wifi router (Spectrum Wave 2 router SAC2V2S) is located that I get ~480 Mb in a wifi speed test. If the WCB3000N would work with those speeds I certainly would be interested in it, especially if it acts as a WiFi extender.

7. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, it is not a wifi extender. MoCa is an adapter that converts the internet traffic between ethernet and coax. It also carries the TV service signals as usual, just the internet is at a higher frequency. (Its still wired connection, speeds close to ethernet.)

Wifi is wireless and speeds can get up to 100 mbs on 5G, 1/2 that on G/N.

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    5G is different than 5Ghz. See: What is 5G | Everything You Need to Know About 5G | 5G FAQ | Qualcomm

Also:

Standard Frequency Real-World Speed
    802.11g 2.4Ghz 10 -29 Mbps
    802.11n 2.4Ghz 150 Mbps
    802.11n 5Ghz 450Mbps
    802.11ac 5Ghz 210 Mbps - 1 Gbps

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    fcfc2 likes this.
  9. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    The MoCA bandwidth of the WCB300N limits its WiFi bandwidth to about 170Mb.

10. Shave Jacket

Shave Jacket Member

Jan 25, 2019
    So it seems like the WCB300N would not work in my situation. I think I'll jut use the extra MM1000 that I already have. There seems to be conflicting information on how to connect it though. Is the correct way to split the coax line coming out of my wall in my room and then connect one to the mini (same as it is connected now) and the other to the Network port on the MM1000?

or is this another option from higher up in the thread/
    "As far as connections on the MM1000 go, plug the coax from the wall into the NETWORK port, then the Mini into the DEVICE port. If that doesn't work, split the coax from the wall with one leg to the NETWORK port and the other to the Mini."

That still leaves the question as whats the best way to extend my existing wifi. I know there are all kinds of extenders/repeaters out there. Anyone have any suggestions on brands/models they prefer?

Thanks for the help everyone!

11. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Minis have built-in MoCa, so it does not need another. You would just need 1 MoCa at the router.

12. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    That is one option. If you plan to connect a switch to the MM1000 to allow multiple eithernet connections, you could connect the Mini via ethernet.

You cannot connect the Mini to the DEVICE port of the MM1000 (see post #5 above for details).

13. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I agree with snerd. I had to guess about the MoCA on the device port since it is undocumented. That’s why I posted both connection methods.

May I ask what application you have that won’t work at 170Mbps? Just curious.