MoCA adapter needed if my router supports MoCA already?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by vanclute, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Nov 4, 2015 #1 of 11
    vanclute

vanclute Member

Aug 3, 2003

Advertisements

I'm interested in possibly using MoCA for our Premiere (not Premiere 4) units so I can leave the ethernet jacks in the wall available for other things. My Comcast cable modem/router happens to support MoCA natively. Do I still need an adapter (adapters?) to be able to use MoCA? Seeing as they're $50 a pop and I think I may need two, I'm not sure it's really worth the investment but thought I'd ask what folks around here thought. Thanks!

2. Nov 4, 2015 #2 of 11
    ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    is the moca enabled?

3. Nov 4, 2015 #3 of 11
    vanclute

vanclute Member

Aug 3, 2003
    Yep sure is. Our Roamio Pro saw it straight away and is working fine with it.

4. Nov 4, 2015 #4 of 11
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Premiere 2 tuner does not have MoCa built-in.

5. Nov 5, 2015 #5 of 11
    vanclute

vanclute Member

Aug 3, 2003

Advertisements

Right, I knew that. What I wasn't clear on was if that did not matter if one's router had built-in MoCA. I've never used it before so I'm basically clueless and flailing about for answers. Sounds like the end result is that the Premiere machines won't work with MoCA at all unless they have an adapter at both ends of the connection (i.e. 2 adapters), is that correct?

If so then I don't think it's worth bothering with and I should just stick to Ethernet.

6. Nov 5, 2015 #6 of 11
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Just stick with ethernet if it works for you. MoCa is just an alternative for those without ethernet cabling at a location.

FYI: You may just need a MoCa adapter at the Premiere since the router already has it. MoCa is just a bridge to the router.

7. Nov 5, 2015 #7 of 11
    poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    Your router provides moca at the router end. You will need only one moca adapter at the tivo end. Also you will need to go into the router administration page to enable moca.

8. Nov 5, 2015 #8 of 11
    vanclute

vanclute Member

Aug 3, 2003
    Ah ok, that makes more sense. MoCA is already enabled at the router and the Roamio is already using it without any problems. So I would just need a single adapter for each Premiere that I want to get off Ethernet. Perfect... thank you!! :up:

9. Nov 5, 2015 #9 of 11
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    That's correct. Your router establishes the MoCA network, to which other MoCA devices can connect. (MoCA is just another networking technology, providing networking over coax lines. Just think of MoCA like you do wireless... You first need to establish a coax networking "access point," to which other coax networking devices would then connect. In your case, your router is providing the access point capability to which your Roamio Pro is connecting. And your Premieres could leverage this coax network, as well, via external adapters, much like older TiVos need external wireless adapters to connect wirelessly.)

In your case, though, with Ethernet available, I'd recommend looking into just buying some cheap Fast Ethernet switches for any location where you'd like to connect multiple Ethernet devices. And you could optionally spring for a Gigabit Ethernet switch, instead, anywhere it makes sense. (FYI... You'll find that your Comcast gateway's LAN ports are Gigabit Ethernet.)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  10. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Only additional MoCA details here -- those who are not interested in MoCA specifics can skip this post.

Comparison with WiFi is a reasonable analogy, but MoCA is more than "just another networking technology". The M stands for "multimedia", and MoCA is specifically designed to handle multiple streams of video data while completely avoiding collisions between those streams. One adapter acts as a controller for the MoCA network. The controller schedules all traffic on the MoCA network by assigning specific time slots to each of the MoCA devices on the network. This allows each MoCA device to know when it is safe to send a data packet without any fear that it might collide with data from another MoCA device. MoCA also uses much larger data packets.

WiFi networks are more of a free-for-all with any device sending data at any time. Any collisions that result are handled by resending any packets that are corrupted due to collisions.

11. vanclute

vanclute Member

Aug 3, 2003
    Wow, fantastic extra info folks... thanks so much! I definitely have a better handle on what MoCA even is now. Makes total sense... good stuff! :up: